Dreger: Carolina looking for Top 4 Dman - 1st Rounder in play

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Money also needs to be spent on a couple of goalies. Even if you think Ned takes one cheaply, I'm hoping we go out and get I guy worth $6M or so. Where does he fit?

He replaces the current goalie salary?

Reimer ($3.4 million) + Mrazek ($3.1 million) out = $6.5 million
Markstrom/Lehner ($6 million) + Nedeljkovic/backup ($0.7 million) in = $6.7 million

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Dumba costs more, even w/an offer year.
Sev/Mont are maybes
Risto can be a turnover machine, not worth it.

Also those are RDs and Canes fans here indicated pref for LD. [I'm going on what they said, don't shoot the messenger.]

Still pulling for Skjei.
Slightly overpriced but nice term, great skater, shows D ability, just needs consistent partner, system.

For a 1st or w/+ for 1st + works, Rangers want cap relief.

Short term need is RHD with Hamilton out. Long term need (with the assumption the Canes are making a "hockey" deal for a guy with term, the need is more on the LHD side, although as he showed last year, Pesce can perform quite well on the LHS.

Either
Slavin (LHD) - Hamilton (RHD)
New Acquisition (LHD) - Pesce (RHD)

Or
Pesce (RHD playing LHS) - New Acquisition (RHD).

I agree that Skjei would be ideal.

Slavin-Pesce
Skjei-Pesce
Fleury/Gardiner/Bean/whoever

Reactions: bernmeister

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I read this thread and I wonder what Priskie was thinking when he signed there? Injuries don't get him called up, poor play by TVR doesn't get him a call up.

If he had signed in D.C. he would be playing there by now or at least given a shot just as Fehrevery has been given.

He will be 24 years old in a month. Sometimes players (and their agents) really do overthink things.

He's 24 how much more does he need to develop? Guys like Fox and Marino developed in college (and are younger) and are thriving without time in the minors.

Good on him I guess for recognizing he wasn't ready for the NHL yet. And good luck making the team next season with Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Gardiner, Fleury, Bean and probably Forsling ahead of you, not to mention if they do trade for a D-man with term.

I trust that Priske knows his situation a bit better than a HF Board poster. But that's just me, lol. :sarcasm:

Any chance that a bit of sour grapes might be influencing your perspective?

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Too much offence, not enough defense

If you are looking for someone to QB your PP and get forwards the puck on breakouts he's your man. Toronto has too many of those types of players and needs someone who can PK

Edmunson can PK and play in the top 4. Is also a rental....what are the pluses to get Barrie?

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He's 24 how much more does he need to develop? Guys like Fox and Marino developed in college (and are younger) and are thriving without time in the minors.

I get that sentiment, but every player is different in how they develop. Fox is on another level than Priskie is.

Good on him I guess for recognizing he wasn't ready for the NHL yet.

From what I understand from those that have watched him, he isn't NHL ready (or at least wasn't ready earlier in the season) so he's probably right going to the AHL. I haven't seen much of him though to be able to accurately assess his game.

And good luck making the team next season with Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Gardiner, Fleury, Bean and probably Forsling ahead of you, not to mention if they do trade for a D-man with term.

Well, a little over a year people said things about other prospects (Bean, McKeown, Fleury, etc..) like "Good luck making the team with Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, de Hann, TVR, and Fox" ahead of them. As we know, 3 of those guys are gone and TVR is likely gone after this season as well, so things can and I suspect, will change before next season as well. If Priskie shows he's better than other guys trying for a spot, he'll get it. If not, he won't.

I won't be surprised at all if Gardiner, Forsling, and Fleury, aren't Hurricanes next season. Who knows though.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Short term need is RHD with Hamilton out. Long term need (with the assumption the Canes are making a "hockey" deal for a guy with term, the need is more on the LHD side, although as he showed last year, Pesce can perform quite well on the LHS.

Either

Or

Slavin-Pesce
Skjei-Pesce

concur + hopefully our GMs see what our bases see/agree to.
While we want to recover assets, in Brady's case, NY wants to recover cap.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Either

Or

Slavin-Pesce
Skjei-Pesce
Does not have term but, Vatanen can play in both of those scenarios. Most Devs fans see him in Carolina. Maybe a conditional pick if he does not sign next year?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ya, it’s soap opera funny, but kind of makes sense for both teams. With Reilly coming back, the Leafs don’t need Barrie. With Hamilton done fir the season, the Canes do need Barrie.

Canes give up more high danger chances than anyone in the NHL. Improving defensively (thus the interest in Brodin reported earlier), is the primary need, not Barrie. While I won't say the Canes won't go after Barrie if he's made available, most of the other guys they have reportedly been interested in are much better defensively. Barrie gives up as much as he gives.

Also, IF the Canes do make the playoffs, there's a solid chance Hamilton is back and then the Canes wouldn't need Barrie either.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Does not have term but, Vatanen can play in both of those scenarios. Most Devs fans see him in Carolina. Maybe a conditional pick if he does not sign next year?

Did I read that Vatanen is on IR (or at least injured)? Or is he back now.

Vatanen has never been a durable player throughout his career, so I'd be wary giving up too much for him.

Reactions: bernmeister

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Ya, it’s soap opera funny, but kind of makes sense for both teams. With Reilly coming back, the Leafs don’t need Barrie. With Hamilton done fir the season, the Canes do need Barrie.

CAR did not pay $4M in real cash and waste over $6M in cap space this year to piss away a 1st rd pick on Barrie. Makes absolutely zero sense for CAR.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina would pass on paying a 1st round premium for Barrie for the same reason Toronto would look to trade him for that return. It doesn’t make sense to rent at that price point as a clear 2nd tier contender in the East.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He replaces the current goalie salary?

Reimer ($3.4 million) + Mrazek ($3.1 million) out = $6.5 million
Markstrom/Lehner ($6 million) + Nedeljkovic/backup ($0.7 million) in = $6.7 million
Both their current goalies have contracts going into next season. Too high to backup a veteran. Would have to be to a team with a younger starter. Or they have to buy them out which adds at least $2 mill in dead cap space as I believe Reiner has SB due.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Did I read that Vatanen is on IR (or at least injured)? Or is he back now.

Vatanen has never been a durable player throughout his career, so I'd be wary giving up too much for him.
He took a shot off the boot and they are actually saying its a bruise rather than a lower body injury to keep his value up! He has skated a few times and there is thinking rather than risk anymore that they slowing bring him back to move him (last part is conjecture of course). Sami's a workhorse and got dinged last season where he missed some time. I'd be ok is they resigned him at a decnt rate

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'm actually interested in Ristolainen. He is nasty, blocks tons of shots, and can put up points. He'd do well with Slavin the rest of the season.

What does he cost?

Risto is the Sabres best trade chip to acquire that long sought after vet 2C we are sorely lacking. Yes Dylan Cozens is looking like a surefire future 1C who can slot behind Eichel, but that may be 2 years away before he can be relies upon as a top 6 center. So I don't think Botterill will move Risto for a 1st...let alone a 1st in the 20-31 range. If Risto is moved it is going to be a Risto++ for 2C+ type deal....Montour on the other hand is available for a 1st.

Reactions: TZdevils

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Both their current goalies have contracts going into next season. Too high to backup a veteran. Would have to be to a team with a younger starter. Or they have to buy them out which adds at least $2 mill in dead cap space as I believe Reiner has SB due.

The comment I was responding to was talking about the 2021-22 season as Dougie Hamilton is already signed into next year. Both Reimer and Mrazek are UFAs next year.

James Reimer has a $2 million bonus due July 1. Worst case scenario the Canes would have to eat that bonus and afterwards the Canes can deal him to a team with open Cap who would want a ~$1 million (real salary) veteran backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->