Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No goalie can survive behind an AHL level D. And no team is going to win anything with the squads we've had over the past few years. We went from up and comer to re-tool in the blink of an eye.

Once again, the problem is that our GM doesn't pick a direction. Sign Price? Fine, no issue with that. Sign him and let Radulov and Markov go? Why didn't you just rebuild then?

Pick a path.

For all this talk of Price being too expensive, we've come off two straight seasons with huge cap space being wasted. If you want to use Jordie Benn or Victor Mete on your first pairing you're going to get crushed. I don't care what player you are.

Connor McDavid is the best player in the league and can't get his team into the playoffs.

And the crappy thing is we've actually got some decent young talent up front. We've got Price in the back. How the **** we've just sat there and done nothing on the D is a total mystery. We had tons of cap space to fix it too. It's like when Price went down and we got Scrivens. Our GM is fine just letting the club burn... it's just so dumb.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

I just think Price can't have a melt down after saying to the organization I want to win now

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
So he's just one player now?

He's the leader of this team, the franchise player. He's not just one player. He has the power to uplift everyone in the locker room.

If there's one guy who can bring us a cup it's him.

Don't ever settle for mediocrity.

Totally agree, I don’t understand why some want to trade our franchise player ? He’s the best player we had since Patrick Roy, he gots record with the Habs that will probably take a longtime before being beaten, I don’t know if some realize how lucky we where to have him ? Why would we not let him finish is carrer here ? Just look when we traded Roy for some good prospect how the trade turn out ..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't disagree with anything you said.

I just think Price can't have a melt down after saying to the organization I want to win now
It's very simple. If Shea Weber or Jeff Petry go down, we have one legit NHL blueliner in front of our goalie. We will get smoked. I predict we'll miss the playoffs because of this.

Price can say whatever he wants just like McDavid can. He's right. Our GM has fuddled around for years. He's ruined one core and now we're on our second. We could've made the playoffs last year if we'd added somebody on the left side and I suspect that will be the case this year.

And honestly, it's not like he called the GM out. He simply said he realizes that he doesn't have many years left and he wants to win a cup. There's nothing controversial about that.

Reactions: OldCraig71

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's very simple. If Shea Weber or Jeff Petry go down, we have one legit NHL blueliner in front of our goalie. We will get smoked. I predict we'll miss the playoffs because of this.

Price can say whatever he wants just like McDavid can. He's right. Our GM has fuddled around for years. He's ruined one core and now we're on our second. We could've made the playoffs last year if we'd added somebody on the left side and I suspect that will be the case this year.

And honestly, it's not like he called the GM out. He simply said he realizes that he doesn't have many years left and he wants to win a cup. There's nothing controversial about that.

I agree there's nothing controversial about what he said.

I'm saying it will become controversial if he plays like he did 2 years ago

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree there's nothing controversial about what he said.

I'm saying it will become controversial if he plays like he did 2 years ago
If Weber or Petry go down, we'll get smoked and there will be all kinds of controversy again. I still don't blame him for saying it. Quite frankly somebody needs to say it, might as well be him.

Reactions: Milhouse40

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Weber or Petry go down, we'll get smoked and there will be all kinds of controversy again. I still don't blame him for saying it. Quite frankly somebody needs to say it, might as well be him.

I don't have a problem with him saying it. I have a problem if he doesn't play well.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
So he's just one player now?

He's the leader of this team, the franchise player. He's not just one player. He has the power to uplift everyone in the locker room.

If there's one guy who can bring us a cup it's him.

Don't ever settle for mediocrity.

What are you on about “settling for mediocrity?” Where in my post did I say we shouldn’t have standards. And yes, he is one player. One player out of 19 who are dressed and out there playing the game. It’s a team sport. It doesn’t matter how good you are if you’re not surrounded by other good players. Ask Edmonton and McDavid how well relying on a couple individuals is working for them.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
What are you on about “settling for mediocrity?” Where in my post did I say we shouldn’t have standards. And yes, he is one player. One player out of 19 who are dressed and out there playing the game. It’s a team sport. It doesn’t matter how good you are if you’re not surrounded by other good players. Ask Edmonton and McDavid how well relying on a couple individuals is working for them.

Goalies play 60 mins a game and good goalies can boost the club's moral.
They have such a huge impact they can either make or break a team. You're trying to downplay his importance out of a sudden. Is this gonna be your new narrative for the season or what?

Btw Alzner is one player too. i guess he's as important as everyone else.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They have such a huge impact they can either make or break a team. You're trying to downplay his importance out of a sudden. Is this gonna be your new narrative for the season or what?

I’m not downplaying his importance. We’ve never had a team good enough to truly compete for a cup while he’s been here and I’ve stuck by that and still do. The teams he’s played for the past two seasons have regressed. The standards are much lower then they were 4 years ago because the talent level isn’t there. He’s 32 years old. He isn’t getting younger. I’m not going to expect him to be as good as his peak while he creeps up in his 30’s. It’s about time this team didn’t sink or swim by a goaltender.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Nobody not even Roy or Brodeur could boost that defense when Weber is not playing. Maybe Theodore that year he was on fire but it did not last for long. It's just not happening and it's 100% unrealistic to expect it to happen. That defense without Weber is AHL worthy.

Reactions: Vachon23

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I’m not downplaying his importance. We’ve never had a team good enough to truly compete for a cup while he’s been here and I’ve stuck by that and still do. The teams he’s played for the past two seasons have regressed. The standards are much lower then they were 4 years ago because the talent level isn’t there. He’s 32 years old. He isn’t getting younger. I’m not going to expect him to be as good as his peak while he creeps up in his 30’s. It’s about time this team didn’t sink or swim by a goaltender.

At 32 years of age he brings so much intangibles to the game. Why would you want to get rid of him now? He's got experience, age wise he should still be in good condition until he's 42. His kids will grow and he will learn how to be a better leader.

I'm disapointed in your analysis, you want to throw away all these years of investement just because the team around him isn't as good as you want it to be?

The thing is keeping price wont cost you any assests and I doubt you will get some one better. The guys in the office have no idea how to judge pure talent let alone goalies so I wouldn't trust them in acquiring some one else to replace him.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Nobody not even Roy or Brodeur could boost that defense when Weber is not playing. Maybe Theodore that year he was on fire but it did not last for long. It's just not happening and it's 100% unrealistic to expect it to happen. That defense without Weber is AHL worthy.

True,

Brodeur had Stevens Neidermayer Daneyko
Roy had Robinson Chelios Desjardins Schneider Foote Blake Bourque

The only exception would probably be Hasek

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
At 32 years of age he brings so much intangibles to the game. Why would you want to get rid of him now? He's got experience, age wise he should still be in good condition until he's 42. His kids will grow and he will learn how to be a better leader.

I'm disapointed in your analysis, you want to throw away all these years of investement just because the team around him isn't as good as you want it to be?

The thing is keeping price wont cost you any assests and I doubt you will get some one better. The guys in the office have no idea how to judge pure talent let alone goalies so I wouldn't trust them in acquiring some one else to replace him.

I just read threw all my posts and I have no idea where you even got where I applied trading him which kind of makes everything you wrote a waste of time. I’m more then happy with the way he rebounded last year and having an elite goalie is never a bad thing regardless of contract. What will be interesting however is if Premieu can do to Price what Schneider did to Luongo several years down the road.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
True,

Brodeur had Stevens Neidermayer Daneyko
Roy had Robinson Chelios Desjardins Schneider Foote Blake Bourque

The only exception would probably be Hasek

In 2000-2001 NJ reached the scf (lost to Avs) and in 2002-2003 NJ won the cup.

Here's the defense in front of Brodeur for these runs :

2001-2002
Niedermayer
Stevens
Rafalski
Daneyko
Colin White
Sean O'Donnell
Mike Commodore
Willie Mitchell

2002-2003
Niedermayer
Stevens
Rafalski
Tverdovsky
White
Daneyko
Smehlik
Albelin

I mean we are not even remotely close to that. We can just imagine what Price would do behind such a defense. That's legitimately one of the best defense in the history of the league. And i don't say that to diminish Brodeur he was awesome but he did not do what he did behind a AHL worthy + aging Weber defense. You are right Hasek did reach the scf with an awful team. But he is one of a kind. Maybe the best goalie ever just not the best career (he had a slow start with Chicago and played in front of a crappy team for a long while).

Price is paid too much but we definitely need to improve the defense with at least NHL worthy dmen. I have no problem with Chiarot but you could argue NJ had like 7 dmen better than him in the lineups posted above. I mean Daneyko had its limits but at least he was a monster.

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
What about the Penguins' blue line the last time they won the Cup?

:laugh:

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Totally agree, I don’t understand why some want to trade our franchise player ? He’s the best player we had since Patrick Roy, he gots record with the Habs that will probably take a longtime before being beaten, I don’t know if some realize how lucky we where to have him ? Why would we not let him finish is carrer here ? Just look when we traded Roy for some good prospect how the trade turn out ..

I love Price but we're in the winning business. If we have a stud waiting in the wings for 2-3 years, you trade your veterans for top young players, prospects and picks to surround an already great prospect pool, focus on development, and wait for Tampa and Toronto's times to be over.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I love Price but we're in the winning business. If we have a stud waiting in the wings for 2-3 years, you trade your veterans for top young players, prospects and picks to surround an already great prospect pool, focus on development, and wait for Tampa and Toronto's times to be over.

In 3 years, Price will probably still be good and he’s the type of player you wan if you want a winning culture. Great exemple for thé young guys, and in 3 years, he will be extremely motivated to Win a Cup.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

We're not in the winning business if the plan is to lose and wait.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
We're not in the winning business if the plan is to lose and wait.

I agree.

Habs are in everything but in a winning business. The nhl is a closed cluster with rules and regulations, to win you gotta take actions and risks and Bend those rules as much as possible.

The habs now market them selfs as a classy organization, they play by the rules and avoid any confrontation. Their stanley cup now is to sell beer.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I just read threw all my posts and I have no idea where you even got where I applied trading him which kind of makes everything you wrote a waste of time. I’m more then happy with the way he rebounded last year and having an elite goalie is never a bad thing regardless of contract. What will be interesting however is if Premieu can do to Price what Schneider did to Luongo several years down the road.

I will read your posts later, i forgot what we were talking about.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I will read your posts later, i forgot what we were talking about.

I think I know what you’re quoting. And honestly, I can see how you could take that out of context accidentally. It wasn’t trade Price, it was make the team as important as him when I made the post. You misinterpreted. I found the line.

habmercy

Aug 19, 2017
Looking forward to the day Price and Primeau start playing together. Carey has at least 3 quality years ahead of him and with Primeau coming along our goaltending is going to be tough to deal with.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
If we dont consider the Habs a top contending team in the next 3 years, why keep Price and Weber and waist time while their value decrease, since they will be respectively be 35 and 37 years old? If miss the playoffs again, 2019-2020 should be Price's last season in Montreal. Go with Kinkaid or whoever does the job. This team is in no man's land.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If we dont consider the Habs a top contending team in the next 3 years, why keep Price and Weber and waist time while their value decrease, since they will be respectively be 35 and 37 years old? If miss the playoffs again, 2019-2020 should be Price's last season in Montreal. Go with Kinkaid or whoever does the job. This team is in no man's land.

Because you need leaders with a young team

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Because you need leaders with a young team
Time for other leader to stand up, Danault, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Mete, Kulak and after it will be Caufield, Fleury, Brooks, Juulsen, Primeau. I dont want to get stuck with Price and Weber seriously declining, have no value and taking 18+mil a season in cap space for the next 4 to 5 years while our youngsters are ready to take the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad