Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
When was the last time Carey put up a $10.5/y performance?

Carey's been my favorite Hab this entire decade, but we are absolutely ****ed with paying him so much for average goaltending.
Not sure what we are going to do.

Yeah, we are still paying Azlner 4.6M.....and Weise 2.8m and Weber is becoming a #4 D and he's being paid 7.8M.
But it's Price, who is at worst still worth 8.5M on any team, our biggest problem….

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
People still complaining about Price’s salary even though the team has had tons of cap space for a couple of years? :thumbd:
Haters gonna hate....

Guy has a tough game, and the haters reappear....hilarious, Oh, and we won!! lol

We have proven, we are like an AHL team without him..............get a grip guys, he isn't always going to be lights out. He is the least of our problems, and we have many.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
When was the last time Carey put up a $10.5/y performance?

Carey's been my favorite Hab this entire decade, but we are absolutely ****ed with paying him so much for average goaltending.
Not sure what we are going to do.
He was something like.935 in his last six games....

And yep we’re f***ed. Not because of Price though, it’s in spite of him.

Paying him 10 mil makes perfect sense. But paying him that money and then sticking him behind a terrible D... THAT is stupid.

Last year we couldn’t win a game without him and it’s shaping up similarly this year. And this season is going to be tougher with Weber being hurt.

Even last night he had a couple of goals go in on him where his own guys are crashing into him. It’s a freaking clown show back there.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Price isn't bad; it doesn't mean he's in his prime though. Brodeur was still a gamebreaking goalie until his second-to-last year. The issue is we don't have a team in front of Price that can win it all; it doesn't make sense to keep overpaying for an "over the hump" type player when we need four of them.

I was one of the few on here defending Price over Halak a decade ago, and I still think he's one of the best, but Carey Price will not win a cup in Montreal. His peak is 100% finished and his prime is close to it. The reason Brodeur, Luongo, Roy, etc were able to play into their 40's is because goaltending evolved faster than forwards did. Now this is no longer the case and we're not going to see great 38-40 year old goalies anymore. Goaltending hasn't evolved at all in 10 years. Even "standard of consistency" Lundqvist fell off at 35.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Last year we couldn’t win a game without him and it’s shaping up similarly this year. And this season is going to be tougher with Weber being hurt.

Last year sure, but this season through 15 games the Habs are the 4th best scoring team in the league (3.67 GF/GP).

The offense has bailed Carey out this season. Not saying that will be the norm going forward but that's certainly been the case so far.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Last year sure, but this season through 15 games the Habs are the 4th best scoring team in the league (3.67 GF/GP).

The offense has bailed Carey out this season. Not saying that will be the norm going forward but that's certainly been the case so far.
Our offense was good last year too. That’s why I’m so frustrated with us not going out and getting at least one solid blueliner in the off season. Mete is our best blueliner on the left side? That’s a freaking joke.

Between the offense and Price we managed 97 points last year. That’s despite a horrible D and awful PP.

Why the f*** do we have to cheap out on the backend?

As for the offense “bailing him out” did you watch the TO game? Great we scored the way we did but we gave the Leafs a dozen or so breakaways. Who’s bailing out who?

Reactions: Tuggy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our team D is average at best. Can't wait till we have our centers mature and can help out down low. Price is a game changer. Without him, we fall in the bottom 10 somewhere. Some would like that and I'm 50/50 on that.

Honestly, as time moves forward in the next 2 or 3 years, the truth to our future potential will be revealed. It's very possible that Price can be traded if we stall to get inside the top 10 in the NHL. However if our kids produce and mature into impact players, having Price and Primeau is ideal.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Our offense was good last year too. That’s why I’m so frustrated with us not going out and getting at least one solid blueliner in the off season. Mete is our best blueliner on the left side? That’s a freaking joke.

Definitely agree with that. It's clear as day that this team needs another top 4 D, but fearless leader...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Definitely agree with that. It's clear as day that this team needs another top 4 D, but fearless leader...
Our offense is good. We are playing well overall but there’s nowhere near the talent on the backend. And when guys make dumb plays it puts the goalie in a position to look bad.

No reason to have not improved the backend. If we did we’re probably in the playoffs this year. We’d definitely have made it last year.

As it is now it’s very tough for our backups to win and that’s despite us being able to score.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
He was really bad last night, but we still ended up winning and he was absolutely amazing in Dallas the game before (and we lost 4-1).

Shake it off and move on. If we lose that game, he definitely deserved the heat for it. But there's nothing to worry about yet.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Yeah, we are still paying Azlner 4.6M.....and Weise 2.8m and Weber is becoming a #4 D and he's being paid 7.8M.
But it's Price, who is at worst still worth 8.5M on any team, our biggest problem….

how much are you being paid to spread this propaganda

i want in

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Haters gonna hate....

Guy has a tough game, and the haters reappear....hilarious, Oh, and we won!! lol

We have proven, we are like an AHL team without him..............get a grip guys, he isn't always going to be lights out. He is the least of our problems, and we have many.

not true i have stopped commenting on his play. With this team and GM it’s irrelevant how he plays

Reactions: BLONG7

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

having a good offense means nothing for your Defense

but yeah so far he’s been averaging a mediocre perfomance.

But shills will shill

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
how much are you being paid to spread this propaganda

i want in

It's not propaganda, it's fact.
Considering the tons of cap space this team has for years and the tons of money laying around doing nothing, it's really irrelevant how much Price is paid considering he's still a good starter in the NHL.

If we were tight to the cap and that it would prevent the team to add or sign players, then it would be another story.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
It's not propaganda, it's fact.
Considering the tons of cap space this team has for years and the tons of money laying around doing nothing, it's really irrelevant how much Price is paid considering he's still a good starter in the NHL.

If we were tight to the cap and that it would prevent the team to add or sign players, then it would be another story.
Exactly. People act like it's their own personal money coming out of their bank account. If the cap was 1 billion dollars, we could pay Price $900 million for all I care. We're not spending to the cap anyway and it's not hindering us from making any sort of moves at this point.

If we were and Price's contract was hindering us from taking the next step, then yeah I get the complaints. Right now I don't.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
No he doesn’t
He is 7th in save percentage (.922)and 8th in goals against average (2.34) since Jan 1st 2019. I used min games played of 6 if you want to check yourself.

People seem pretty quick to forget how good he was the second half of last season. His start of this season is better than last season. I expect much of the same this year, much like I expect the same folks to come out of their caves after a bad game like today.

Edit: Gave up 2 or less in 25 of the 36 games to end last season. 3 or less in 29 of 36.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Exactly. People act like it's their own personal money coming out of their bank account. If the cap was 1 billion dollars, we could pay Price $900 million for all I care. We're not spending to the cap anyway and it's not hindering us from making any sort of moves at this point.

If we were and Price's contract was hindering us from taking the next step, then yeah I get the complaints. Right now I don't.

Time is money

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Price isn't bad; it doesn't mean he's in his prime though. Brodeur was still a gamebreaking goalie until his second-to-last year. The issue is we don't have a team in front of Price that can win it all; it doesn't make sense to keep overpaying for an "over the hump" type player when we need four of them.

I was one of the few on here defending Price over Halak a decade ago, and I still think he's one of the best, but Carey Price will not win a cup in Montreal. His peak is 100% finished and his prime is close to it. The reason Brodeur, Luongo, Roy, etc were able to play into their 40's is because goaltending evolved faster than forwards did. Now this is no longer the case and we're not going to see great 38-40 year old goalies anymore. Goaltending hasn't evolved at all in 10 years. Even "standard of consistency" Lundqvist fell off at 35.

Have to disagree on that.

Rinne is 37 and still playing well and in fact he pretty much had his best stretch starting at 35.
Fleury is turning 35 this month and didn't slow down, playing his best hockey in fact.
Mike Smith is 37 and right now he's having a career years.

Technical goalie seems to last longer than those who's game are based on reflexes and Price is all technics.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
He is 7th in save percentage (.922)and 8th in goals against average (2.34) since Jan 1st 2019. I used min games played of 6 if you want to check yourself.

People seem pretty quick to forget how good he was the second half of last season. His start of this season is better than last season. I expect much of the same this year, much like I expect the same folks to come out of their caves after a bad game like today.

Edit: Gave up 2 or less in 25 of the 36 games to end last season. 3 or less in 29 of 36.

Thank you for digging up the stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad