Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Every goalie needs a defence in front of them. That's why you don't pay goalies. You pay the players in front.
Every D needs a goalie behind them. I guess we shouldn't pay blueliners either.

Look what happened to this club in 2016. And that was with one of the best top pairing Ds in the league.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't even think Price needs a great defense. An average one is more than enough (our defense last year was under average). He just needs a team able to score goals. Price has been a habs for 12 seasons and the team scored over 3 goals a game in three of them. 3 gpg last year, 3.04 in 2012-1013 and 3.13 gpg in 2007-2008 his rookie season.

To put things into perspective the Pens has scored over 3 goals per game in 7 of Price's 12 NHL seasons (with a high of 3.39), the caps in 7 of Price's 12 NHL seasons (with a high of 3.83) and the Bruins in 5 of them (with a high of 3.29).

But yeah with the amount of goals we score on average Price would need a better defense no doubt specially in playoffs where we can barely score 2 goals a game. The only year we scored 3 goals per game in playoffs with Price in the net was 2013-2024 ... the year we went to the semi-final ... Pens scored over 3 goals per game in playoffs 8 times since Price graduated in the NHL ...
When Weber returned Price had Vezina caliber numbers. He doesn't need a great D in front of him. But if you put a group of guys who play the puck like a bunch of toys then you're going to get smoked.

Our real problem is the total lack of depth. If Weber or Petry go... that's it for us. Inexcusable the way this club has been run. I can't believe we're going in with Mete as our best player on the left side... AGAIN.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I hope Price forces MBs hand, would be the best thing for the franchise.

Price gone that team will either fully tank or have ton of cap space to pay KK when he pulls a Marner/Laine.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
When Weber returned Price had Vezina caliber numbers. He doesn't need a great D in front of him. But if you put a group of guys who play the puck like a bunch of toys then you're going to get smoked.

Our real problem is the total lack of depth. If Weber or Petry go... that's it for us.

Of course if you put a borderline AHL caliber defense in front of him (and our defense was pretty much that before Weber returned) then it wont work. It's the NHL you need at least solid NHL caliber player. They tried Mike Rupp with Malkin once and it was a disaster ;)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Of course if you put a borderline AHL caliber defense in front of him (and our defense was pretty much that before Weber returned) then it wont work. It's the NHL you need at least solid NHL caliber player. They tried Mike Rupp with Malkin once and it was a disaster ;)
Honestly, we've got a good bunch of young forwards. Scoring won't be a problem. Goaltending is set... if we had a good D we'd be a pretty good team. The PP would be better, the scoring would be better, the goals against would be better.

It's just shocking to me that we continue to leave gaping holes on the roster. It used to be center and now it's the D. It's a joke.

Reactions: Miller Time

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Honestly, we've got a good bunch of young forwards. Scoring won't be a problem. Goaltending is set... if we had a good D we'd be a pretty good team. The PP would be better, the scoring would be better, the goals against would be better.

It's just shocking to me that we continue to leave gaping holes on the roster. It used to be center and now it's the D. It's a joke.

In fact, and i think that's the thing that bothering me the most with all that is happening…..i think we are 2 players away from being able to do some damage (Not saying being contender, not saying being a perfect team). At least with Price playing like he did.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

D & top 6 W

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
In fact, and i think that's the thing that bothering me the most with all that is happening…..i think we are 2 players away from being able to do some damage (Not saying being contender, not saying being a perfect team). At least with Price playing like he did.

And really, we've been 2 players away (1 top 6 & 1 top 4) for 8 summers in a row... When you start with a Vezina goalie, a Norris Dman & a cap spending owner, is it really that hard to find a way to ADD a bit of talent???

The inability to do anything more than shuffle the deck chairs around has been unbelievably pathetic.

Reactions: LaP and Milhouse40

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
D & top 6 W
Poehling and Suzuki are really close to being in the NHL. Caufield's a couple of years away. At least we've got talent up front coming.

There's not much on the horizon for defensemen. The sad truth is we've had a brutal D for two straight years and are now going on our third. It's embarrassing how incompetent our mgmt is.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Poehling and Suzuki are really close to being in the NHL. Caufield's a couple of years away. At least we've got talent up front coming.

There's not much on the horizon for defensemen. The sad truth is we've had a brutal D for two straight years and are now going on our third. It's embarrassing how incompetent our mgmt is.

I hope at least 1 of those 3 pan out as legit top-6 NHL talent... As bullish as I am on all 3, Not sure I'd consider it a sure thing just yet

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I hope at least 1 of those 3 pan out as legit top-6 NHL talent... As bullish as I am on all 3, Not sure I'd consider it a sure thing just yet
No, they aren't sure things. But all three are more promising than most of the prospects we've seen over the years.

I believe we finally have a legit two way number one in KK. That will only help the others come along. Poehling is looking good and Caufield actually has a really high ceiling. Great potential but you're right none (other than KK) are sure bets in my opinion.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Seasonly reminder that Carey Price is not worth his contract, it was dumb to sign him, we should have traded him in 2017.

Sure, no player is worth that amount…..but since the Habs are unable to attract any top player at any position we do not have the luxury of not signing the very few ones who are ready to stay here.

Reactions: Vachon23

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Sure, no player is worth that amount…..but since the Habs are unable to attract any top player at any position we do not have the luxury of not signing the very few ones who are ready to stay here.

We do, in fact. What we lack is managerial chutzpah. We ended up tanking the next year, and missing the playoffs this year anyways, so I'm not sure what terrible thing we avoided by signing price to this ridiculous contract instead of trading him.

Reactions: Andrei79

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
We do, in fact. What we lack is managerial chutzpah. We ended up tanking the next year, and missing the playoffs this year anyways, so I'm not sure what terrible thing we avoided by signing price to this ridiculous contract instead of trading him.

Trading with one year left before turning UFA....not sure what greatness we would have get for that either.
That's not trading Price we should have done, it's firing this GM.

Reactions: BLONG7

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Trading with one year left before turning UFA....not sure what greatness we would have get for that either.
That's not trading Price we should have done, it's firing this GM.

My argument at the time was that we should trade Price for a return, whatever that would have been, and replaced him with a much cheaper starter. It's unlikely that we would have had any worse goaltending in the aggregate than what we've had the last two years, at least not significantly, and the return on Price would have been considerable.

I think I've been proven right on this account.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With all his talk about "I want to win now, time is running out", he better back it up with his play. He's the main determinant of if we win or not. Apparently he was on fire in camp today - not letting much in even on drills. he had that look in his eyes.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
My argument at the time was that we should trade Price for a return, whatever that would have been, and replaced him with a much cheaper starter. It's unlikely that we would have had any worse goaltending in the aggregate than what we've had the last two years, at least not significantly, and the return on Price would have been considerable.

I think I've been proven right on this account.
I have said it several times that trading Price with retention to a team like the Flyers back then would a gave us a amazing return. It was stupid to extend him for so long.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I have said it several times that trading Price with retention to a team like the Flyers back then would a gave us a amazing return. It was stupid to extend him for so long.

No one wants to trade for top tier goalies because they all know they're not worth it.
It's not because Brodeur was killing it in NJ that he was also gonna kill it in Atlanta.
And let's not talk about Roy's trade because Colorado was stacked.

All these goalie metrics mean absolutly nothing... Fugazi, Fugezzi it's a wazzi it's a wozzi it's a fhhheeeww fheeeew.

All these debates, all these years... for nothing.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
With all his talk about "I want to win now, time is running out", he better back it up with his play. He's the main determinant of if we win or not. Apparently he was on fire in camp today - not letting much in even on drills. he had that look in his eyes.

He’s one of the main pieces but he won’t bring a cup to the city by himself. We’ve got a long way to go until we’re contenders. It’s a team sport and he’s one player.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He’s one of the main pieces but he won’t bring a cup to the city by himself. We’ve got a long way to go until we’re contenders. It’s a team sport and he’s one player.

And hopefully during the periods when things aren't going well he'll be able to handle the stress better than he did two years ago - especially after the declarations he made about wanting to win now.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

So he's just one player now?

He's the leader of this team, the franchise player. He's not just one player. He has the power to uplift everyone in the locker room.

If there's one guy who can bring us a cup it's him.

Don't ever settle for mediocrity.

Reactions: Vachon23

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
And hopefully during the periods when things aren't going well he'll be able to handle the stress better than he did two years ago - especially after the declarations he made about wanting to win now.

The "Declaration" lmao are you serious? Is this really news to you? Is this supposed to be a statement? way to run something into the ground and make it anything more than it has to be.

What did you expect him to say? : "Mehhh We can win, we can lose, no big deal. I just want my paycheque."<

THIS JUST IN! Superstar competitive athlete wants to win at his profession sooner rather than later!
Let's all regurgitate this statement and add pressure because we have nothing better to do or talk about. No wonder noone wants to play here...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The "Declaration" lmao are you serious? Is this really news to you? Is this supposed to be a statement? way to run something into the ground and make it anything more than it has to be.

What did you expect him to say? : "Mehhh We can win, we can lose, no big deal. I just want my paycheque."<

THIS JUST IN! Superstar competitive athlete wants to win at his profession sooner rather than later!
Let's all regurgitate this statement and add pressure because we have nothing better to do or talk about. No wonder noone wants to play here...

Price is saying he wants to win now. I have no problem whatsoever witht that. What i have a problem with is his play two years ago.

If he's going to say he wants to win now, let's hope he plays like he wants to win. Is that really a contraversial statement, declaration, whatever you want to call it on my part?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price is saying he wants to win now. I have no problem whatsoever witht that. What i have a problem with is his play two years ago.

If he's going to say he wants to win now, let's hope he plays like he wants to win. Is that really a contraversial statement, declaration, whatever you want to call it on my part?
No goalie can survive behind an AHL level D. And no team is going to win anything with the squads we've had over the past few years. We went from up and comer to re-tool in the blink of an eye.

Once again, the problem is that our GM doesn't pick a direction. Sign Price? Fine, no issue with that. Sign him and let Radulov and Markov go? Why didn't you just rebuild then?

Pick a path.

For all this talk of Price being too expensive, we've come off two straight seasons with huge cap space being wasted. If you want to use Jordie Benn or Victor Mete on your first pairing you're going to get crushed. I don't care what player you are.

Connor McDavid is the best player in the league and can't get his team into the playoffs.

And the crappy thing is we've actually got some decent young talent up front. We've got Price in the back. How the f*** we've just sat there and done nothing on the D is a total mystery. We had tons of cap space to fix it too. It's like when Price went down and we got Scrivens. Our GM is fine just letting the club burn... it's just so dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad