Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The past two games our D has been more involved in the rush and taking more chances and are leaving Price more exposed and it's funny because we used to despise Therrien for trying to win games 2-1 by trying to give Price as much help as possible. We all thought that he should employ a run and gun offense with such a stud in goal. I read the post by @Loner and I chuckled because it is bang on. Watch Julien tighten things up with a trap style game in Carolina just like he did to end the losing streak, we went back to run and gun after the trip out west and it failed because Price couldn't bail us out. Tomorrow will be a grind, book it!

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I'm a huge Price fan and always will be, but he needs to be better. This little florida trip, one of the few times in his career where I really felt he let the team down.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You know Price is in a hell of trouble when you dont have lafleur guy and nhlfan9191 rushing to his defense. Normally they never take a day off white knighting Price

:laugh: Yeah, okay. I’m not going to try and defend Price’s play of late. You can call me a white knighter, fine. It makes you a hypocrite as you’re doing the same thing, just on the opposite spectrum. I’ll defend our goalies from ridiculous posts for as long as I’m a fan of this team after watching Roy get chased out of town by morons. I’m not posting as much this past year because for 3 straight seasons, the narrative hasn’t changed. The owner is a crook, Bergevin can’t build a team, we can’t make the playoffs, and when Price isn’t on, people go for his throat as the scapegoat. It’s boring. I’m not going to rinse and repeat the same bull**** for years and years. I’ve said multiple times it’s time for Price to move on as he doesn’t fit. But hey, that’s white knighting eh?

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
I get the we should've traded Price crowd. For me the main burden is the contract, because finding a #1 goalie is a pain in the ass. So for me trading Price and re-building is my choice, but what happens when you have a solid core of youngsters with no goalie? Edmonton, Buffalo, Leafs...It's not that easy of a decision.

So I understand people who are less kin to a Price-less franchise. Thankfully, Primeau seems to be the heir in the system.

Let's see who won the Cup since the 2005 draft when we took Price, who was the goalie and where the guy was draft.

2006 : Carolina / C.Ward (1st round - 25th)
2007 : Anaheim / Giguere (1st round - 13th)
2008 : Detroit / Osgood (3rd round - 54th)
2009 : Pittsburgh / Fleury (1st round - 1st)
2010 : Chicago / Niemi (undrafted)
2011 : Boston / T.Thomas (9th - 217th)
2012 : LAK / Quick (3rd - 72th)
2013 : Chicago / Crawford (2nd - 54th)
2014 : LAK / Quick (3rd - 72th)
2015 : Chicago / Crawford (2nd - 54th)
2016 : Pittsburgh / Fleury (1st - 1st)
2017 : Pittsburgh / Fleury (1st - 1st)
2018 : Washington / Holtby (4th - 93th)

So, the last 13th Cup :

-5 times the starting goalie was a 1st rounder (same guy 3 times, Fleury);
-3 times with guys picked in the 4th or later (one undrafted);
-5 times with guys picked between the 2nd and 3rd round.

No need for more searches to remember that none of these winning teams were built around the goalie. Even with Fleury, who's the 'anomaly' here (1st-1st x 3 cups), team was Crosby's, followed by Malkin. We can do the same for ever other teams.

But still, Montreal managed to fed us the written all-over koolaid 'Price is the best goalie in the world and we will win by building around him'.

Time to aknowledge that they were wrong, and we were wrong to ever think this is how you win cups now. The Brodeur and Hasek's era was gone when the organization started a 15 years stretch with a goalie as the cornerstone for the 25th Cup. This is madness, plain and simple. Or stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad