Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Honestly, we've got a good bunch of young forwards. Scoring won't be a problem. Goaltending is set... if we had a good D we'd be a pretty good team. The PP would be better, the scoring would be better, the goals against would be better.

It's just shocking to me that we continue to leave gaping holes on the roster. It used to be center and now it's the D. It's a joke.
Agreed.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Sure, no player is worth that amount…..but since the Habs are unable to attract any top player at any position we do not have the luxury of not signing the very few ones who are ready to stay here.
Why? Of course the habs have the luxury. I like your posts usually but that one was idiotic.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
We do, in fact. What we lack is managerial chutzpah. We ended up tanking the next year, and missing the playoffs this year anyways, so I'm not sure what terrible thing we avoided by signing price to this ridiculous contract instead of trading him.
Razor sharp np as usual.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Totally agree, I don’t understand why some want to trade our franchise player ? He’s the best player we had since Patrick Roy, he gots record with the Habs that will probably take a longtime before being beaten, I don’t know if some realize how lucky we where to have him ? Why would we not let him finish is carrer here ? Just look when we traded Roy for some good prospect how the trade turn out ..
Glad habs won all those cups with him. Nobody gets this. He’s not necessary.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What about the Penguins' blue line the last time they won the Cup?

:laugh:
Let me know when we add Crosby, Malkin and Kessel.
I love Price but we're in the winning business. If we have a stud waiting in the wings for 2-3 years, you trade your veterans for top young players, prospects and picks to surround an already great prospect pool, focus on development, and wait for Tampa and Toronto's times to be over.
You mean pick a direction? Sounds like a good idea.

At this stage, I think it makes more sense to add to what we have instead of dealing Price. We have cap space and if we added a left blueliner then we'd be infinitely better. Better to build on what we have at this stage.

If we trade Price for futures though and got some good young assets. At least it would be a direction. Again though, why not do this two years ago? There's no plan here.
If we dont consider the Habs a top contending team in the next 3 years, why keep Price and Weber and waist time while their value decrease, since they will be respectively be 35 and 37 years old? If miss the playoffs again, 2019-2020 should be Price's last season in Montreal. Go with Kinkaid or whoever does the job. This team is in no man's land.
Add a solid blueliner on the left side and we'll make the playoffs. Add something on top of that and we could actually do some damage.

On the flipside, do nothing and I think we'll miss. Weber or Petry or Price will get hurt as some point this season. And right now we don't have the depth to survive it if it's a longterm injury. Adding another blueliner would help to mitigate this.
Glad habs won all those cups with him. Nobody gets this. He’s not necessary.
Connor McDavid isn't necessary either. That doesn't mean it's not good to have him on your team and can help you win.

Want to win something? Pick a direction. If you've got a decent team, add to it. If you've got crap, scrap it and rebuild. We've done neither. We simply threw a good young core away and have decided to endlessly retool our team while not addressing glaring holes.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Every goalie needs a defence in front of them. That's why you don't pay goalies. You pay the players in front.

Like the lightning? They won’t be paying Vasilevskiy next season? I guess the Habs are guilty with setting the bar with Price by over paying $1M

Lightning must be dumb like us I guess. Same with the Panthers who people predict will finish higher in the standings this year because they got Bob ;)

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
When he raised his hands to the sky... As higher as he can... By nodding with his mask... The smile on his face... The okay I win “?” expression... On hugging his habpartners. Man, I got goosebumpsed by that... That’s my Pricer...

Reactions: Habssince89

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Great to pull out that win over TO.

I thought the game was over when Tavares got the breakaway in OT. So nice to beat those guys.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Squandered excellence...

Imagine what he could do playing for an organization with competent management willing and able to build a strong roster in front of him :scared:

Reactions: Milhouse40

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Nope. Carey is the Hand that Feeds. The hand is tired. The hand is expected to feed Molson another winning season.
TSN's Gord Miller yesterday on Mitch Melnick's radio show said that with Carey Price's $10.5 M annual salary that the Habs' backup goalie should not make more than $1 M per season and that Price should play at least 70 games this season since he's an elite goalie who is better than Kinkaid and that he sees no reason not to play Price in back-to-back games this early in the season. Miller said if Price had played four more regular season games last season, the Habs might have made the playoffs since they missed out by a mere two points. Price was that much better than Niemi was.

It should be noted the Habs last played in Toronto before last night's game in Buffalo. That accorded Price Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday four days of rest so why didn't Price play last night? Was he tired or was his sore hand still healing? The Habs got into another shootout and lost 5-4 in OT to the Sabres. Would Price have lowered the goals against to three or less?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We're not in the winning business if the plan is to lose and wait.
Broken record, but it comes down to picking a direction.

Personally, I'd try to win now. Fix the blueline and spend the next few years trying to win. That makes sense to me esp with Price in the lineup.

If we wanted to go the other way... I'm okay with that too. Not what I'd do but I understand the philosophy.

What doesn't make ANY sense is having Price play behind mediocre teams. That's flat out dumb. We waste his prime seasons and squander his trade value. Not winning and not maximizing trade value, not to mention Price wastes his career on a team that can't win. It's lose/lose/lose.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I remember being attacked quite a bit for suggesting Price's peak was done at the start of the 2016-17 season. Now it's quite apparent that was true and even his prime is nearly done.

Reactions: Magic Stick

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Price is the best. I hope he continues to succeed as a Hab for many years to come.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I remember being attacked quite a bit for suggesting Price's peak was done at the start of the 2016-17 season. Now it's quite apparent that was true and even his prime is nearly done.
Figured we'd see this pop up tonight. Certainly not a great game from him. He didn't play well.

As for him being past his prime, he's behind a D that doesn't do him any favours. When you're behind a bad D you're set up to look bad and that's happened more than it should over the past few years.

Put him behind a decent D and his numbers will go way up. Right now we've got Petry a busted up Weber and a weak supporting group. And it's too bad because we can actually score now. If we had even a decent D we'd probably make the playoffs. If we had a good D we could do some damage.

But we're not going anywhere with this group. Bubble team at best.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
When was the last time Carey put up a $10.5/y performance?

Carey's been my favorite Hab this entire decade, but we are absolutely f***ed with paying him so much for average goaltending.
Not sure what we are going to do.

Reactions: Magic Stick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->