Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Is this you extrapolating or someone from the medical staff actually told you? How would you know which and what injury has been overblown?

I'm legitimately curious, not trying to start an argument.

What are you talking about? What does any of what I said have to do with the medical staff? I posted numbers to suggest he’s not as fragile as people are making him out and you came back at me with nothing.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
What are you talking about? What does any of what I said have to do with the medical staff? I posted numbers to suggest he’s not as fragile as people are making him out and you came back at me with nothing.

you said some injurys were overblown.

I asked you which ones and some sources to back your statement.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
you said some injurys were overblown.

I asked you which ones and some sources to back your statement.

What sources are you looking for? The numbers are what you go off of. I never said he doesn’t have a chronic injury of some sort. But if he can play still 60+ games and 50 in what’s labelled as injury plagued season, then they are overblown.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Its depressing to think we have one of the best goalies in the game, and those talents will be all for nothing. An owner/GM with zero vision of the team they want to build, after all these years. Brutal.

It's especially how it's build.
It's always about surrounding your best players.

The Habs are for Price what the Oilers is to McDavid.
Bergevin never put a very good defense in front of Price just like Oilers never find good wingers for McDavid.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Bergevin never put a very good defense in front of Price just like Oilers never find good wingers for McDavid.

And we are still too small up front, especially down the middle. 6 years later, same problems. The team will be beaten down and spent by January, as usual.

Reactions: Milhouse40

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Its depressing to think we have one of the best goalies in the game, and those talents will be all for nothing. An owner/GM with zero vision of the team they want to build, after all these years. Brutal.

He’s been one of the best for years and we just wasted it. He’s 32. He isn’t getting better. He’s going to decline gradually at this point. It’s about time we build a team around him and stop trying to live off the past like we’re playing in the pre 93 era. The past goalies of this franchise were pampered in comparison to Price. Hopefully he gets a chance to be part of a great team, and not have to be the team to win a cup. Otherwise he goes down like a Lundqvist. Which is a great career, but nothing to show as far as NHL championships.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's refreshing hearing Carey Price talking about wanting to win the cup all week long.

I suppose you can be a cynic and simply say "what else is he going to say, that he doesn't want to win?". But I'm hoping it means he's super motivated and about to have another flagship season.

With Carey at the top of his game - we're a threat to win the division. Yes, that's right. We've always done so when he's been at the very top of his game in the past.

Does anyone else find some of his recent comments/interviews a reason to be excited, or am i reading too much into it?

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
It's refreshing hearing Carey Price talking about wanting to win the cup all week long.

I suppose you can be a cynic and simply say "what else is he going to say, that he doesn't want to win?". But I'm hoping it means he's super motivated and about to have another flagship season.

With Carey at the top of his game - we're a threat to win the division. Yes, that's right. We've always done so when he's been at the very top of his game in the past.

Does anyone else find some of his recent comments/interviews a reason to be excited, or am i reading too much into it?
I suppose you could read it that way. Others are reading it as he wants to win whether that is in Montreal or not. If he was towing the company line he would spew the making the playoffs goal and anything can happen. So obviously he is putting something out there, what people want to take from it can be subjective.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

His comments sounds more to me that he had enough of his GM not trying to push this team over for a real PO run (Something Bergevin never did in 8 years). I also think he's not the only one in this room feeling that way but he's the only one who earned the right to say whatever he wants.

But those comments doesn't excite me mainly cause it means that Price doesn't think this team has what it takes to win, kind of agree with him.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
His comments sounds more to me that he had enough of his GM not trying to push this team over for a real PO run (Something Bergevin never did in 8 years). I also think he's not the only one in this room feeling that way but he's the only one who earned the right to say whatever he wants.

But those comments doesn't excite me mainly cause it means that Price doesn't think this team has what it takes to win, kind of agree with him.

Good point. Didn't think of it that way - but I suppose if he's saying that because he feels they don't have enough to win, it's more worrisome than I thought.

Reactions: Milhouse40

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Price deserves better...than a clown GM who only thinks of self preservation.

Self-preservation? I think you can accuse Bergevin of a lot of things but i don't really see that. He's always been pretty good about not trading away high draft picks or high end prospects. Someone worried about self preservation would be more prone to go "all in" and sacrifice the future (a bit like Columbus tried last season).

If anything - I wish Bergevin did more of that.l

Reactions: Vachon23

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Self-preservation? I think you can accuse Bergevin of a lot of things but i don't really see that. He's always been pretty good about not trading away high draft picks or high end prospects. Someone worried about self preservation would be more prone to go "all in" and sacrifice the future (a bit like Columbus tried last season).

?
CBJ's GM did the opposite of self-preservation. He took a bold, aggressive move despite knowing he was going to loose key assets in the process (both what he traded away & ufas).

Self-preservation is exactly what typifies MB's middling approach, constant flip-flopping decision-making and incessant PR spin

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
?
CBJ's GM did the opposite of self-preservation. He took a bold, aggressive move despite knowing he was going to loose key assets in the process (both what he traded away & ufas).

Self-preservation is exactly what typifies MB's middling approach, constant flip-flopping decision-making and incessant PR spin
Self preservation means he is too afraid to make bold moves...totally agree

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I don't even think Price needs a great defense. An average one is more than enough (our defense last year was under average). He just needs a team able to score goals. Price has been a habs for 12 seasons and the team scored over 3 goals a game in three of them. 3 gpg last year, 3.04 in 2012-1013 and 3.13 gpg in 2007-2008 his rookie season.

To put things into perspective the Pens has scored over 3 goals per game in 7 of Price's 12 NHL seasons (with a high of 3.39), the caps in 7 of Price's 12 NHL seasons (with a high of 3.83) and the Bruins in 5 of them (with a high of 3.29).

But yeah with the amount of goals we score on average Price would need a better defense no doubt specially in playoffs where we can barely score 2 goals a game. The only year we scored 3 goals per game in playoffs with Price in the net was 2013-2024 ... the year we went to the semi-final ... Pens scored over 3 goals per game in playoffs 8 times since Price graduated in the NHL ...

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don't even think Price needs a great defense. An average one is more than enough (our defense last year was under average). He just needs a team able to score goals. Price has been a habs for 12 seasons and the team scored over 3 goals a game in three of them. 3 gpg last year, 3.04 in 2012-1013 and 3.13 gpg in 2007-2008 his rookie season.

To put things into perspective the Pens has scored over 3 goals per game in 7 of Price's 12 NHL seasons (with a high of 3.39), the caps in 7 of Price's 12 NHL seasons (with a high of 3.83) and the Bruins in 5 of them (with a high of 3.29).

But yeah with the amount of goals we score on average Price would need a better defense no doubt specially in playoffs where we can barely score 2 goals a game. The only year we scored 3 goals per game in playoffs with Price in the net was 2013-2024 ... the year we went to the semi-final ... Pens scored over 3 goals per game in playoffs 8 times since Price graduated in the NHL ...

Said it for years. Price brought so-so team right to the ECF and 1st place on our division. Don't need a powerhouse on front of him but as you said....just something decent.

Sadly Bergevin is having a hard time putting something decent. I feel for the guy cause some numbs nuts keep blaming him everytime this team failed while the truth it's all on Bergevin who, for some reason, isn't the one to blame once the seasons starts

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Every goalie needs a defence in front of them. That's why you don't pay goalies. You pay the players in front.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Problem is....the two best pick he had he turned it into Galchenyuk and Sergachev and traded them both.

As for the others picks.....he didn't trade high end prospect, you are right....cause he didn't draft any.

Reactions: Andrei79

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

We are going to have to agree to disagree.

Bergevin has lowered standards so badly, to buy himself more time, over and over. Never taking a stance, one way or another. It's hilarious how he has conned people into thinking, that his efforts are enough, because he consistantly fails, but says he is trying.

I have said for years, he is in over his head...remove the training wheels and fire this guy asap!!

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Problem is....the two best pick he had he turned it into Galchenyuk and Sergachev and traded them both.

As for the others picks.....he didn't trade high end prospect, you are right....cause he didn't draft any.

Yeah but he got a really, really good return for both. He's never sold a top prospect cheap.

I know some aren't exactly thrilled with Drouin - myself included - but he had all the potential in the world and a lot of people were happy about that trade at the time. I still personally expect Drouin to have the better career too. And - Domi was a great return.

They were both hockey trades - never a move for a rental or anything like that.

?

Most of the time a GM is on the hot seat for lack of winning/making playoffs.

Columbus GM "went all in" to ensure they:

1. Made the playoffs
2. Did well there

An argument can be made that he "sacrificed the future" a bit in doing that. They traded it some top picks/prospects for guys they lost for nothing in UFA. But - GM looks good because his owner is happy about the playoffs + playoffs win. Self preservation.

A parallel would have been if Bergevin had traded Suzuki for Duchene at the TDL last year to try and help make the playoffs - even though he knew full well odds are even if we made playoffs we wouldn't go far. But playoffs = happy owner = self preservation.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yeah but he got a really, really good return for both. He's never sold a top prospect cheap.

I know some aren't exactly thrilled with Drouin - myself included - but he had all the potential in the world and a lot of people were happy about that trade at the time. I still personally expect Drouin to have the better career too. And - Domi was a great return.

They were both hockey trades - never a move for a rental or anything like that.

Domi was a mediocre return who exceeded expectations while posting a 20pt personal best... That career year coupled with a middling, injury-afflicted season for Galch (where he posted 2nd worse pt output of his career, yet still surpassed Domi's previous career best in goals), allows hindsight to -for now- give the return a far more positive perceived value than at the time.

Drouin was a terrible decision at the time both BC of his pre-existing attitude/commitment red flags and BC Sergachev was a top prospect in an area of massive short & long term organization need. Bad trade at the time which has only grown worse with the benefits of hindsight.

Most of the time a GM is on the hot seat for lack of winning/making playoffs.

Columbus GM "went all in" to ensure they:

1. Made the playoffs
2. Did well there

An argument can be made that he "sacrificed the future" a bit in doing that. They traded it some top picks/prospects for guys they lost for nothing in UFA. But - GM looks good because his owner is happy about the playoffs + playoffs win. Self preservation.

A parallel would have been if Bergevin had traded Suzuki for Duchene at the TDL last year to try and help make the playoffs - even though he knew full well odds are even if we made playoffs we wouldn't go far. But playoffs = happy owner = self preservation.

Terrible analogy...

If Price & Weber were both on expiring contracts, and had made it clear they were not re-signing, than it draws closer...
But, further different context also lies in the CBJ reality that they had never won a playoff series (which actually somewhat lessened the "risk" of going for it since even 1 series win was a net positive for the franchise & ownership).

As much as MB appears bulletproof with Molson as his benefactor, I don't know that he keeps his job missing playoffs last year, while trading away prospects AND losing Price & Weber in the ensuing offseason.

What we do know is that he's consistently avoided committing to a direction, or moves, that had the reward possibility that CBJ's Duchene trade represented, content instead to muck-around with Bargainbin moves...& Likewise has refused to fully commit to a rebuild by trading away vets to obtain 1st round picks and chase high lottery selections.

Gives him the spin he seemingly needs to keep his boss, the inept president were stuck with, happy.... Self-preservation over a commitment to doing what it takes to build a winner.

Price can smell it, as his recent comments allude to...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

They were both hockey trades - never a move for a rental or anything like that..

Very good prospects are not really traded for rentals…..by anybody.
It happens but it's very very rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad