Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Exactly. I agree with you that he isn't the same goalie, but I'm sure if he had a better defense in front of him it would motivate him to play even better (as well as help him). Price is relied upon too much.
Let's see if Chiarot can be the solution lol. Candidate #88. Pretty pathetic how we couldn't do anything with the best goalie in the league. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted a trade.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I'm shocked people on the main poll board think both Gibson and Vasilievsky are better than Price. If Price had TB's team or Anaheim's defense, he would post God-like numbers. Price is the best goalie in the league - he showed it yet again last season.
"best goalie in the league" sounds great, but is it really a high impact position anymore?

would you rather have the best Centre in the League instead? or the best Defenseman in the league? i know my answer

Reactions: jordy

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
you can win the cup with an average goalie easily in today's NHL, look no further than last year. Jordan ****ing Binnington, Stanley Cup champion :laugh:
32 games 1.89 GAA .927%sv is average to you? I guess Hasek is an average goalie.

Binnington has been godly hot the whole year. Maybe he's a Jim Carey (including PO contrary to Jim Carey), but he may be a late bloomer like 80% of the starter goalies.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
32 games 1.89 GAA .927%sv is average to you? I guess Hasek is an average goalie.

Binnington has been godly hot the whole year. Maybe he's a Jim Carey (including PO contrary to Jim Carey), but he may be a late bloomer like 80% of the starter goalies.
i guess we'll see, but i bet he'll regress into averageness this year.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
sure, but elite goaltending doesn't need to come from elite goaltenders. it can come from no-names who have a hot year, or even just a hot playoffs
The Blues were a very well constructed team out in front of this kid...........they just needed some good goaltending from the kid, and most nights go it. The Habs over the last 4-5 seasons have not been well constructed at all.

Look at the size of their Dmen....and then look at ours. Binnington couldn't have done that for us, like he did for the Blues.

Anyhow, from my view, Price has done all he can for the Habs, can't say that about our clown GM.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
"best goalie in the league" sounds great, but is it really a high impact position anymore?

would you rather have the best Centre in the League instead? or the best Defenseman in the league? i know my answer

Hmmm.

What you want is having one of the best at any position actually. Don't care if it's D, C, W or G.
You might think it's better to have one of the best C line in the league than the best goaltender but how's that working out for Toronto so far? How's Nashville doing with one of the best D-squad in the league?

Doughty might be the best D in the league but that doesn't help LA to make the PO in the last couple of years.

And yes, goaltender is high impact position.....don't tell me that having Desharnais and Plekanec at center was enough to go far in the PO in 2014? It was not even good enough to make the PO but we did for a couple of year because of Price.

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
you can win the cup with an average goalie easily in today's NHL, look no further than last year. Jordan ****ing Binnington, Stanley Cup champion :laugh:
Average goaltending but elite forwards or d
And your average goaltender better get hot or be elite when it matters
Your statement is just downplaying the importance of the position. How many times has a fourth liner become a playoff hero? Does that mean elite forwards are expendable?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I cringe at prices ineptness come playoff time.

The year we couldn't score against the flyers after needing Price to help us beat the Bruins in 7 ?

You mean the playoffs where our team was devastated by injuries ?

Or the playoffs where he only played in blow out games after Halak was pulled.

Must be the reason we lost to Boston in 7 the year they won the cup, right ?

The series we lost to Ottawa I'll give you that.

After that he played really well. Against the rangers he had a 1.88 gaa and a .933 save percentage, but let's make an absolutely terrible post about how he's terrible in the playoffs. Let me guess, he was supposed to score goals, too ?

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
The year we couldn't score against the flyers after needing Price to help us beat the Bruins in 7 ?

You mean the playoffs where our team was devastated by injuries ?

Or the playoffs where he only played in blow out games after Halak was pulled.

Must be the reason we lost to Boston in 7 the year they won the cup, right ?

The series we lost to Ottawa I'll give you that.

After that he played really well. Against the rangers he had a 1.88 gaa and a .933 save percentage, but let's make an absolutely terrible post about how he's terrible in the playoffs. Let me guess, he was supposed to score goals, too ?

I took a minute and googled his playoff stats. good luck trying to make excuses for these poor numbers.

Carey Price Stats and News

Last edited:

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
I just gave you a break down of every playoff seasons he played in and you ignored it.

To set the record straight I'm a die hard habs fan and am not ignorant. I sent you prices playoff stats which you refused to look at because you know better apparently.

Lets start with prices playoff performances in philly in 08 boston in 09 and ottawa in 2013. All playoff series we should have and could have won with some decent goaltending. In 2011 we lost in 7 to boston a tough series could have gone either way we lost that series and price was pretty mediocre but didnt cost us it.

In 2014 was prices only decent run. tough break against new york. In 2016 we couldnt score but I remember in game 6 of that series price let in a weak goal that tied the game and broke our backs.

hardly the kind of goaltending from a guy who's supposed to be the best? why hes considered one of the best is a mystery to me. I think its great hes good to the kids and gives back to the community. maybe he can run for mayor of montreal someday.

by the way I have numbers to back up my argument

Last edited by a moderator:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

Umm, would be nice if we had a top 50 C...or top 50 forward for that matter...
[Whoops, we did, Domi #47...lol]

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
To set the record straight I'm a die hard habs fan and am not ignorant. I sent you prices playoff stats which you refused to look at because you know better apparently.

Lets start with prices playoff performances in philly in 08 boston in 09 and ottawa in 2013. All playoff series we should have and could have won with some decent goaltending. In 2011 we lost in 7 to boston a tough series could have gone either way we lost that series and price was pretty mediocre but didnt cost us it.

In 2014 was prices only decent run. tough break against new york. In 2016 we couldnt score but I remember in game 6 of that series price let in a weak goal that tied the game and broke our backs.

hardly the kind of goaltending from a guy who's supposed to be the best? why hes considered one of the best is a mystery to me. I think its great hes good to the kids and gives back to the community. maybe he can run for mayor of montreal someday.

Price's numbers in 2016 were beyond elite, the fact we didn't win that series was all on the offense (and the system used). I don't see many Stanley Cup challenging teams in Carey Price's tenure but I assume that's easier to ignore than just blindingly pointing at his overall stats with barely any context.

I'm not a big fan of his contract but to say he is miserable come playoff time doesn't hold much weight. The reality is you expect him to carry us as he does in the regular season and that's not something we should be counting on to win playoff series.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Price's numbers in 2016 were beyond elite, the fact we didn't win that series was all on the offense (and the system used). I don't see many Stanley Cup challenging teams in Carey Price's tenure but I assume that's easier to ignore than just blindingly pointing at his overall stats with barely any context.

I'm not a big fan of his contract but to say he is miserable come playoff time doesn't hold much weight. The reality is you expect him to carry us as he does in the regular season and that's not something we should be counting on to win playoff series.

I gave him his due in 2016. I dont think he was elite but he wasn't his usual dreadful self that playoff series. whats your take on the philly or ottawa series. what about 09 vs boston when he couldnt stop a beachball?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I gave him his due in 2016. I dont think he was elite but he wasn't his usual dreadful self that playoff series. whats your take on the philly or ottawa series. what about 09 vs boston when he couldnt stop a beachball?

Bad performance/ leftover injury issues, however I think it's more relevant to judge him on his latest appearances. If he plays like he did in 2016 moving forward , there is no reason to be worried on that front if we eventually make the playoffs again. Age is definately a factor but Lundqvist still had elite years well into his mid 30s and I think Price is an excellent comparable.

Not many goalies can take a mediocre team and give them confidence that even if they take risks he is going to be there to bail them out most of the time. It's obvious that when Price is in net and healthy the team plays a very different style (in terms of being aggressive offensively and playing a more simple defensive game).

Not a fan of the contract or that our best player is a goalie but that's not on him.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

You mean the flyers series where the habs couldnt score ? We won in ot, the proceeded to only score 2 goals in each of the next 3. Umberger demolished the team. Game 5, Price gave up 5. Can't watch the highlights, but I'll blame that one on him.

5 games, 1 Price's fault.

Boston in 09 our team was decimated by injuries. I explained this and you clearly didn't read my post.

Against the Sens, he was bad, I admitted that, but you clearly didn't read my post.

Price gaa 2.53 save% .914
Lundqvist 2.28 .922
Quick 2.23 .922
Fleury 2.59 911
Vasilevskiy 2.83 .912
Bishop 2.12 .929
Brodeur 2.02 9.19
Bobrovsky 3.14 .902

Pretty much every goalie on that list in almost any given year they played in the playoffs was on a better team than Price every had in front of him and aside from Bishop, Price's numbers are close to, or better than.

Where are your numbers ? Or are you just going to ignore my post and half ass respond to it ?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Lets start with prices playoff performances in philly in 08 boston in 09 and ottawa in 2013. All playoff series we should have and could have won with some decent goaltending.
'08 is his rookie year. He took us past the Bruins in game seven.

In '09 we had a horrible team hit by injuries right before the playoffs and were badly outplayed.

In 2013 we had the lead late in the game in game six and he got hurt. We lost because the backup got crushed.

Since 2011 his numbers in the playoffs have been excellent despite playing on mostly bad/mediocre teams.

One thing to say you think he's overpaid or overrated, but saying he sucks in the playoffs is not backed up by the facts. Esp since you have to go back to when he was 21 years old on a brutal team to try to prove that he sucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad