Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Losing Drouin hurts but the D is the real problem. We’ve known it for years and yet never did anything about it.
Our D will be good without any other addition (ufa) in two years but it would be welcome another good D by ufa signing ... or trade in a short lap of time (ça presse en ta) because two years is too long to wait.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He belongs on the 3rd pairing. He’s playing on the first.

it was the same with Benn. Solid on the 3rd pairing but terrible when moved up.
Chiarot is much better than Benn. Not agree with the comparaison.
He's ok on a second pairing. We can use him good, we just need another guy like that on the 1rts and 3rd pairing of D. Both would solve the problem, one is an upgrade for the team.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Before or after we extend him at $14.5m for 8 years?

Wondering if GMs are learning from Price and Bobrovsky regarding big ticket, long term goalie contracts.

I don't see too many top goalies making more than $9M or close to Price/Bob but I do see the previous rate of $5-$7M rising to $7-$9M in the coming years. I'd be willing to bet that nobody makes more than Price in the next 8 years while his contract expires. We are overpaying him but about $1M or $1.5M IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Chiarot is much better than Benn. Not agree with the comparaison.
He's ok on a second pairing. We can use him good, we just need another guy like that on the 1rts and 3rd pairing of D. Both would solve the problem, one is an upgrade for the team.

I agree. Chiarot is a decent 2nd pairing guy. I don't get it. I actually think our LD is better than last year with a more mature Mete and Chiarot added. I think our problems are more about team D vs our actual defenseman

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Before or after we extend him at $14.5m for 8 years?

Wondering if GMs are learning from Price and Bobrovsky regarding big ticket, long term goalie contracts.

It was obvious to everybody of sound mind that Price didn't deserve that contract.

It has nothing to do with being a goalie. He's just not a 10.5 million dollar player.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I don't see too many top goalies making more than $9M or close to Price/Bob but I do see the previous rate of $5-$7M rising to $7-$9M in the coming years. I'd be willing to bet that nobody makes more than Price in the next 8 years while his contract expires. We are overpaying him but about $1M or $1.5M IMO.

I was listening to this topic on NHL Network on the drive home and it’s not really the dollar amount per se, but the term. Not that I’d want to, but say we gave Price $15.9m, but on a 4 year contract (I know this is less than his total contract but bear with me). It’d still be an albatross, given his recent play, but at least it’d be over in a couple years.

We still got over 6 left and even if Price recovers and puts up 910+ save percentage, it’d be asking for a lot for him to sustain that right to the end.

Cap hit aside, actual money is more bearable after 2021, but it’s still a lot of money. Plus, with a NMC, he has control of where he wants to go.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was listening to this topic on NHL Network on the drive home and it’s not really the dollar amount per se, but the term. Not that I’d want to, but say we gave Price $15.9m, but on a 4 year contract (I know this is less than his total contract but bear with me). It’d still be an albatross, given his recent play, but at least it’d be over in a couple years.

We still got over 6 left and even if Price recovers and puts up 910+ save percentage, it’d be asking for a lot for him to sustain that right to the end.

Cap hit aside, actual money is more bearable after 2021, but it’s still a lot of money. Plus, with a NMC, he has control of where he wants to go.

Term is an issue for sure. My problem with the Price contract is Bergevin was to afraid to play hard ball like he did with Radulov. He gave Price what he wanted.

Personally, I not worried about Price from 32-38 as long as he stays in good shape and I don't see that being an issue. He's still one of the best but we are going nowhere with him if we don't have a better team D in front of him. You put him on a top 10 defensive team, and you watch him dominate.

If the Habs decide to head into more youth in the 21 off season, Price will want to be traded so you let that ride out. Teams he is open to will be interested but we would have to retain down to $9M IMO and we take whatever goalie they have at that moment.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It was obvious to everybody of sound mind that Price didn't deserve that contract.

It has nothing to do with being a goalie. He's just not a 10.5 million dollar player.

Problem was he was rewarded for past performance, and even then, that Hart season was a few years ago. This is what happens when you build the team around a goalie... of course he’ll be considered the best player. But then we end up having to pay him like one.

Anyhow, I’m just annoyed and irritated Price is playing like crap. The defence and team structure sucks but he has been struggling clearly. I’ve always been a Price supporter, but he really needs to play better. Take a week off or something and work with Waite.

On the topic of salary, that money is less of an issue for me for now as we got so much cap. This will be an issue though soon enough if our youngsters start reaching potential.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

If Price puts up a .910 SV% through the remainder of his contract, an optimistic scenario, then he'll playing like a replacement-level goalie and will thus be worth approximately 2 or 3 million.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Term is an issue for sure. My problem with the Price contract is Bergevin was to afraid to play hard ball like he did with Radulov. He gave Price what he wanted.

Personally, I not worried about Price from 32-38 as long as he stays in good shape and I don't see that being an issue. He's still one of the best but we are going nowhere with him if we don't have a better team D in front of him. You put him on a top 10 defensive team, and you watch him dominate.

If the Habs decide to head into more youth in the 21 off season, Price will want to be traded so you let that ride out. Teams he is open to will be interested but we would have to retain down to $9M IMO and we take whatever goalie they have at that moment.

It’s going to be interesting with Primeau up. If he plays well, there’s going to be one hell of a controversy. Whether that’s a positive or not in Price’s case, who knows. It could motivate him or make him want to walk. It wasn’t a positive situation for Vancouver when it happened with Luongo and Schneider and it led to there boneheaded GM making mistakes which led to them both being gone.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm shocked that he has the audacity to comment on what kind of backup he'd prefer.

He can't handle a heavy workload

It seems like there is a 10-15 game stretch every season where we all wonder "what's wrong with Price? Is it the new baby, did he get a cop pregnant, is he just sick of this team?"

So we get a 32 year old top 10 NHL goalie for about 45 games a year who doesn't want to mentor (babysit) his eventual replacement. All for one of the highest cap hits in the league. For 6 more years after this one!!!

This club has been kissing his ass since he first stepped on the ice, him being traded is almost as overdue as the gm being fired.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s going to be interesting with Primeau up. If he plays well, there’s going to be one hell of a controversy. Whether that’s a positive or not in Price’s case, who knows. It could motivate him or make him want to walk. It wasn’t a positive situation for Vancouver when it happened with Luongo and Schneider and it led to there boneheaded GM making mistakes which led to them both being gone.

We will see but I don't see too much negative between Primeau and Price. Luongo was a basket case in Vancouver and Price is not the same type of person. He could still demand a trade but I think it has to get much worse before he demands out. He is also not stupid and knows how difficult it would be with almost 60% of the teams in the NHL with less than $1.5M of cap space at the moment.

Price tonight and Primeau plays of the game back to back games?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
This is the Islanders goalie situation, taken from article:

The Islanders goalies: The Islanders became the first team since the 2006-07 San Jose Sharks to alternate starting goalies for each of the first 24 games of the season with Semyon Varlamov and Thomas Greiss. Varlamov started Monday night and made 30 saves in a 4-1 win over the Red Wings in Detroit, improving his record to 8-3-2 record with a 2.39 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage, while Greiss is 10-2-0 with a 2.10 goals-against average and a .931 save percentage. Varlamov ($5 million) and Greiss ($3.333 million) have a combined salary-cap hit of $8.333 million, more than $2 million less than Price’s $10.5-million cap hit.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

The Islanders goalies: The Islanders became the first team since the 2006-07 San Jose Sharks to alternate starting goalies for each of the first 24 games of the season with Semyon Varlamov and Thomas Greiss. Varlamov started Monday night and made 30 saves in a 4-1 win over the Red Wings in Detroit, improving his record to 8-3-2 record with a 2.39 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage, while Greiss is 10-2-0 with a 2.10 goals-against average and a .931 save percentage. Varlamov ($5 million) and Greiss ($3.333 million) have a combined salary-cap hit of $8.333 million, more than $2 million less than Price’s $10.5-million cap hit.

Not to discredit their goalies, as both have played well, but playing with a structurally sound defensive team helps. No superstars on their roster but everyone is buying into their system.

Reactions: peate

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Question for those who actually watch and understand.

Is Primeau really THAT good? It's like the 3rd "next Carey Price" that we've had in our organization in the last 10 years according to fans.

I’m still banking on the promise of Jean-Claude Bergeron (called Jean-Clone because he was a recreation of Roy) and Les Kuntar, who was going to be great because he went to Cornell like Dryden and Hayward.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009

The same Greiss who posted 3,82 / .892 svpctg the season before Trotz arrived?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad