Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Don't worry once Price is done we'll have a new messiah in Primeau and we'll have another 10 years of building around a goalie.
It never happened to begin with... You actually have to BUILD something for a team to be built around a player. The last time we built around a goalie was Patrick Roy.

We didn't really build around Price at all. MB walked into a good young team and did nothing with it except have MT misuse what he had. Subban and Price are the two best talents we had since Roy and we wasted both of them.

Reactions: Tighthead

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
You could try, but you'd look like an idiot. Weber so far this season: 26 GP, 8 G, 21 P. Zhitnik totals for the entire season in question: 81 GP, 7 G, 33 P. The next year he had 13 P in 74 GP. He was an offensive defensemen who wasn't even great offensively relative to his peers. He was bottom-pairing quality for the era.

Zhitnik was not an offensive defenseman.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
No he didn't. There is a virtually endless highlight-reel of spectacular, desperation type saves from Hasek's time in Buffalo. A highlight-reel like that does not result from a sound defensive sytem. People always talk about his "crazy", unorthodox style, but the truth is that he developed that style mostly out of necessity due to defensive lapses by the crappy Sabres teams he played on. He had the athleticism and the central nervous system/reaction time to pull it off, so it worked. The Sabres' defensive schemes only worked because Hasek would stop the pucks. They were terrible. Like I said, their defensive strategy was literally Hasek.

1. Hasek played 9 years in Buffalo. The fact that one could make a highlight reel montage is underwhelming evidence of anything, given that Hasek played almost a decade there.

2. Hasek had an unorthodox style prior to Buffalo.

3. Buffalo was starved for offense, but objectively had a very good blue collar team, a lesser version of the Habs of the late '80s/early '90s.

Why is there a comparison being made between Price and Hasek?

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
You could try, but you'd look like an idiot. Weber so far this season: 26 GP, 8 G, 21 P. Zhitnik totals for the entire season in question: 81 GP, 7 G, 33 P. The next year he had 13 P in 74 GP. He was an offensive defensemen who wasn't even great offensively relative to his peers. He was bottom-pairing quality for the era.
You’re probably right. I remember being a kid watching that series and how well the team played that playoffs.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
1. Hasek played 9 years in Buffalo. The fact that one could make a highlight reel montage is underwhelming evidence of anything, given that Hasek played almost a decade there.

2. Hasek had an unorthodox style prior to Buffalo.

3. Buffalo was starved for offense, but objectively had a very good blue collar team, a lesser version of the Habs of the late '80s/early '90s.

Why is there a comparison being made between Price and Hasek?

Because certain sections of the fan base are irrational. Always talking about Salary... that’s between MB &Price / his agent.

Is the team good? Do we have an effective system? Do we have enough depth or high end talent? How is our player scouting & development ? Have management made sure this is a desirable destination for free agents?

These are the questions one asks when your club has been having bad performance for years.

I’ve been consistent - the problems of the CH go beyond Price like they go beyond Julien or Drouin or Weber or Petry or whoever else.

This is a clear structural problem with this organisation, the Habs need to clean house and change its structure.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
No he didn't. There is a virtually endless highlight-reel of spectacular, desperation type saves from Hasek's time in Buffalo. A highlight-reel like that does not result from a sound defensive sytem. People always talk about his "crazy", unorthodox style, but the truth is that he developed that style mostly out of necessity due to defensive lapses by the crappy Sabres teams he played on. He had the athleticism and the central nervous system/reaction time to pull it off, so it worked. The Sabres' defensive schemes only worked because Hasek would stop the pucks. They were terrible. Like I said, their defensive strategy was literally Hasek.
First time I saw Hasek play was at the Worlds in '85, he played the exact same way then as he did the rest of his career.
And he continued to blow my mind.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
First time I saw Hasek play was at the Worlds in '85, he played the exact same way then as he did the rest of his career.
And he continued to blow my mind.
An hallOfame goalie like Hasek deserve to be paid the highest salary because he's athletic and makes sensational saves. He kept his team in the game despite their horrible defence at the time. On the other hand, Price is collapsing when the team suffers from bad D. It may be a matter of one year before better D happen in Montreal, there is a ton of interresting prospects not ready yet. He is paid to do miracles once in a while and he doesn't anymore at 32.

Reactions: Garbageyuk

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Free agent $10 M/season goalie Bob of the Panthers has been dreadful so far such that he was sat down by new head coach Q. His replacement in his first NHL game earned a shoutout.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
An hallOfame goalie like Hasek deserve to be paid the highest salary because he's athletic and makes sensational saves. He kept his team in the game despite their horrible defence at the time. On the other hand, Price is collapsing when the team suffers from bad D. It may be a matter of one year before better D happen in Montreal, there is a ton of interresting prospects not ready yet. He is paid to do miracles once in a while and he doesn't anymore at 32.
I don't think it would've been any different if he were 26. Our D is brutal. And now Mete is out two weeks. :laugh:

Insane to say it but that's a big loss for us. Our left side is hilariously bad.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
You knew it was coming. You just did not expect it so soon!

The inevitable debate. After the "Price or Halak?" era, welcome in the "Price or Primeau?" thread! :laugh:
I know it will be a fun place to be!:popcorn:

I'm just kidding... or am I?:sarcasm:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I don't think it would've been any different if he were 26. Our D is brutal. And now Mete is out two weeks. :laugh:

Insane to say it but that's a big loss for us. Our left side is hilariously bad.
Mete is not totally bad. Mete doesn't qualify for the job, in fact he's better than Kulak and Reilly but just by a little margin. Ollofsson, Reilly and Kulak are underqualifyed but not that much. They don't suck that much, they can improve with some patience.

The lost of Drouin is huge. With Drouin the D doesn't have to follow the offence so much because Drouin once he have the puck he will carry it very deep in offensive zone and stays there for more time, making passes, change positions and also scoring chances. The D doesn't have to face a turnover from opponents when Drouin is part of a carry the puck in offensive zone. Or the conter-attack will delayed to 20 - 50 seconds.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Mete is not totally bad. Mete doesn't qualify for the job, in fact he's better than Kulak and Reilly but just by a little margin. Ollofsson, Reilly and Kulak are underqualifyed but not that much. They don't suck that much, they can improve with some patience.

The lost of Drouin is huge. With Drouin the D doesn't have to follow the offence so much because Drouin once he have the puck he will carry it very deep in offensive zone and stays there for more time, making passes, change positions and also scoring chances. The D doesn't have to face a turnover from opponents when Drouin is part of a carry the puck in offensive zone. Or the conter-attack will delayed to 20 - 50 seconds.
I didn't say Mete was a bad player. But if he's the best you've got on your left side you're in trouble. And if he goes down and you're left with Kulak and Chiariot, then you're f***ed.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I didn't say Mete was a bad player. But if he's the best you've got on your left side you're in trouble. And if he goes down and you're left with Kulak and Chiariot, then you're ****ed.
Not agree with Chiarot. He's been doing better than bad, I don't like reading bashing about Chiarot, he's doing his best and he bring something that was missing since loss of Emelin. He's a better Emelin. You can point Kulak, Ollofsson, Reilly and Folin as bad D but not Chiarot. Lately it's Petry that went horrible, not Chiarot. Is it true Petry is having divorce with his wife?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Not agree with Chiarot. He's been doing better than bad, I don't like reading bashing about Chiarot, he's doing his best and he bring something that was missing since loss of Emelin. He's a better Emelin. You can point Kulak, Ollofsson, Reilly and Folin as bad D but not Chiarot. Lately it's Petry that went horrible, not Chiarot. Is it true Petry is having divorce with his wife?
Something is mentally off with Petry , he cant make simple passes out of his zone.
Chiarot is better then advertised. He played around 27 minutes against the Bruins ? I believe while Oluffsen played around 7 minutes and never saw the ice after he let Pasta in behind him.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Something is mentally off with Petry , he cant make simple passes out of his zone.
Chiarot is better then advertised. He played around 27 minutes against the Bruins ? I believe while Oluffsen played around 7 minutes and never saw the ice after he let Pasta in behind him.
I would say the problem with Petry is momentary, must be something outside hockey and his play is affected. I will bounce back some time, he's not over at his age, I beleive no.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He belongs on the 3rd pairing. He’s playing on the first.

it was the same with Benn. Solid on the 3rd pairing but terrible when moved up.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Question for those who actually watch and understand.

Is Primeau really THAT good? It's like the 3rd "next Carey Price" that we've had in our organization in the last 10 years according to fans.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Question for those who actually watch and understand.

Is Primeau really THAT good? It's like the 3rd "next Carey Price" that we've had in our organization in the last 10 years according to fans.
So Primeau is 3rd next Carey Price after Fuccale and Lindgren but this time I thinks it's for real. But now he's only 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad