Team name poll

Which of these do you like the best?

• Total voters

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I think it’s just because it’s cool. Samurais are cool. Comanches are cool. Vikings are cool. At least in the romanticized or dumbed down sense. They have cool looking gear and they are purported to have been pretty tough customers. Same reason people name teams after Bears and Wolves and not usually after cows or toads.

As a Chinese-American, I vote for Utah Youxia then!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Cows:
Utah Heifers
Utah Angus
Utah Herefords
Utah Brown Swiss
Utah Brahman (Fort Worth had a CHL team named the Brahmas)
Utah Holsteins
Utah Watusi

Frogs:
Utah Paedophyrne Amauensises
Utah Rain Frogs
Utah Horned Frogs (TCU)
Utah Hairy Frogs :)
Utah Mossy Frogs
Utah Golden Poison Dart Frogs
Utah Flying Frogs
Whatever the boss Ashley wants, she gets. I'll go with Heifer.:laugh:

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
As a Chinese-American, I vote for Utah Youxia then!

You may want to explain to everyone here what that means.

-----------------

Non-Utah/AZ fan coming in peace.

There seems to be not very good choices here. Things like Outlaws or Yetis or Venom, etc, are both generic and slightly silly. I think the only passable ones are Blizzard and Fury, neutral and work as a hockey team, but still not great.

You guys definitely need something catchier like the Golden Knights or the Kraken.

Reactions: Dog and Summer Rose

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
You may want to explain to everyone here what that means.

-----------------

Non-Utah/AZ fan coming in peace.

There seems to be not very good choices here. Things like Outlaws or Yetis or Venom, etc, are both generic and slightly silly. I think the only passable ones are Blizzard and Fury, neutral and work as a hockey team, but still not great.

You guys definitely need something catchier like the Golden Knights or the Kraken.

Ancient Chinese warrior culture. Referenced a lot in classical Chinese poetry. Translates to "wandering vigilante" if we're being specific.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Utah Landscape
Utah Peaks
I always liked the Grizzlies but they want be something original.
It's going to be something rough and tumble, so I can see Outlaws.

Reactions: Summer Rose

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Venom works with bees, not just snakes, so that's kind of an angle. But with the colors Smith seems to be insisting on they'd come off as dollar store Charlotte Hornets or whatever.

I do think the colors put you in a corner in a way, and that combo is really hard to make truly unique. I'd prefer something that apes the Jazz color shift/gradient jerseys (with yellow and orange). Nothing like it in the league. Fanatics probably wouldn't go for it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It’s a free country. Do what you want. It would be much better if you knocked it off with the wife nonsense. But you can be whatever you want.
Is she not a partner?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is she not a partner?

1714704319956.jpeg

theanomaly

you just lost the game
Nov 18, 2010
NJ
TBH, I do not really feel any of those eight. If I had to choose one, I suppose HC is the least semi-pro league sounding one.

Congrats on your team y'all. Enjoy it.

rt

May 13, 2004
Mammoth would make a badass logo, but i went with Venom as it makes sense and is not cartoon-esque
Agree that mammoth is probably the best brand overall. It just doesn’t sound good when you say it out loud. Bee Venom actually makes sense unlike Yeti. But I think Venom takes too much mental energy to explain. Utah Yetis and Utah Outlaws are just easier. Because they sound good when you say them. Outlaws makes more logical sense but I don’t think it really resonates with people. Yetis is something the kids love for some reason. I don’t think anyone actually loves outlaws or venom. They just hate them less than yetis. I think Yetis makes kids happy. Outlaws and Venom doesn’t really make anyone happy.

Reactions: Naych_PHX

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Agree that mammoth is probably the best brand overall. It just doesn’t sound good when you say it out loud. Bee Venom actually makes sense unlike Yeti. But I think Venom takes too much mental energy to explain. Utah Yetis and Utah Outlaws are just easier. Because they sound good when you say them. Outlaws makes more logical sense but I don’t think it really resonates with people. Yetis is something the kids love for some reason. I don’t think anyone actually loves outlaws or venom. They just hate them less than yetis. I think Yetis makes kids happy. Outlaws and Venom doesn’t really make anyone happy.
I actually really like Outlaws. I think you could make an identity similar to the Brooks Bandits. I like their brand. So no, your theory that people don’t actually like Outlaws or Venom is incorrect. Although when I hear Venom all I think about is the spider-man character, so I hate that one as well. Haha.

rt

May 13, 2004
I actually really like Outlaws. I think you could make an identity similar to the Brooks Bandits. I like their brand. So no, your theory that people don’t actually like Outlaws or Venom is incorrect. Although when I hear Venom all I think about is the spider-man character, so I hate that one as well. Haha.
I think it’s one of the least bad names of the options.

kickback256

May 1, 2024
Utah
Very informal, but among those of us camped out at the Delta Center for that team welcome party, Outlaws was far and away the favorite, especially for the branding and local history aspects. Venom and Yeti were the "eh, I don't despise it but I really don't love it" names. 🤷‍♂️

rt

May 13, 2004
Very informal, but among those of us camped out at the Delta Center for that team welcome party, Outlaws was far and away the favorite, especially for the branding and local history aspects. Venom and Yeti were the "eh, I don't despise it but I really don't love it" names. 🤷‍♂️
You’re giving me some hope that Outlaws may defeat Yetis.

kickback256

May 1, 2024
Utah
You’re giving me some hope that Outlaws may defeat Yetis.
I’ll be honest, I’m clinging to that shred of hope. I think a bunch of families with young kids are really pushing for yeti/yetis, but the longer the names have been out, the less support they’ve gotten. So… maybe it’s a war of attrition.

rt

May 13, 2004

I’ll be honest, I’m clinging to that shred of hope. I think a bunch of families with young kids are really pushing for yeti/yetis, but the longer the names have been out, the less support they’ve gotten. So… maybe it’s a war of attrition.
I’m ok with Outlaws but I don’t want a freaking cowboy hat in that logo. Some kind of creative barbed wire or spur. Bandana of some kind. But it better not be some lame cowboy hat.

Reactions: kickback256

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad