Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Before or after we extend him at $14.5m for 8 years?

Wondering if GMs are learning from Price and Bobrovsky regarding big ticket, long term goalie contracts.

What do you think the Leafs do with Andersen as a UFA where he heads into the following season with a new contract at 32? Bet you he ask for $9M! Maybe term is the bigger problem but if the Leafs play hard ball, what are their back up plans if another team gives Anderson both the term and AAV he is asking for?

If Hart continues on the Price track, what does he ask for at 23?

The $5-$7M price tag for a proven top goalie in the NHL is a thing of the past but it will take a bit where it grows to $7-$10M range.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What do you think the Leafs do with Andersen as a UFA where he heads into the following season with a new contract at 32? Bet you he ask for $9M! Maybe term is the bigger problem but if the Leafs play hard ball, what are their back up plans if another team gives Anderson both the term and AAV he is asking for?

If Hart continues on the Price track, what does he ask for at 23?

The $5-$7M price tag for a proven top goalie in the NHL is a thing of the past but it will take a bit where it grows to $7-$10M range.

In my opinion, but somewhat supported by my so-called "insider" co-workers, I think Anderson walks when he reaches UFA. He'll likely ask $6-$8 for 5-7 years and no way Leafs pay that. I didn't research so I don't know who is available in after 2020-2021, but they are going to be in dire straits in terms of goaltending as they don't even have a back-up right now.

The actual dollar amount isn't really the issue, but the percentage of cap and term. Price and Bob of course pop out because of the sheer money, but Lundqvist and Rinne ate pretty large sums at the time. Now Lundqvist and Rinne are still performing, and I expect Bob to find his game. Price apparently only plays terrible in November :sarcasm:

That said, not every 28-30 year old goalie (referring to star ones only and not sure who the next one will be) who signs an $80 contract for 8 years is going to be serviceable. That's my point really for the future. I wouldn't be worried about Hart at 23 for example, but I would be at 28-30 when he gets his last big contract. Those are the ones I think GMs will now give pause.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I think if we can take anything from the different versions of Carey Price is that he isn't the type of goalie for a team with an unorganized defensive structure. Certain goaltenders somehow thrive in the chaos and churn out more than respectable numbers in such an environment (but often face consistency issues). While Price is the best goalie in the world among system goaltenders , those that thrive in an organized system where the forwards play conservatively and D only pinch when absolutely obvious to do so (though there will be exceptions). I hope Habs keep building out a defensive minded team if they plan on keeping Price around...

Reactions: MtlSportsFan

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think if we can take anything from the different versions of Carey Price is that he isn't the type of goalie for a team with an unorganized defensive structure. Certain goaltenders somehow thrive in the chaos and churn out more than respectable numbers in such an environment (but often face consistency issues). While Price is the best goalie in the world among system goaltenders , those that thrive in an organized system where the forwards play conservatively and D only pinch when absolutely obvious to do so (though there will be exceptions). I hope Habs keep building out a defensive minded team if they plan on keeping Price around...
No goalie is going to be great behind a terrible D.

As for us keeping Price around, at this point I don’t think it makes sense. If we’d been building over the past few years, then sure. But our D is just as bad now as it was three years ago. We might make the playoffs but that’s it. There are too many holes for us to legitimately contend in the next couple of years.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No goalie is going to be great behind a terrible D.

As for us keeping Price around, at this point I don’t think it makes sense. If we’d been building over the past few years, then sure. But our D is just as bad now as it was three years ago. We might make the playoffs but that’s it. There are too many holes for us to legitimately contend in the next couple of years.
Only a matter of time, Price will be dangled for trade, I just hope we have a new GM by then.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Fleury had superior numbers in 2017 at age 35 playing on an expansion team. He was sensational.
Price is 32 and cant stop a beach ball. If he is not interested in playing it's time to retire and we can move on from his 10 million a year cap hit.
I keep telling you indeed we need to retool the D.
We got Romanov and Brooks coming up. Perhaps Juulsen can get healthy.
Additionally we have Caufield who could be that elite forward we need.
I'm excited about the future. MB has done a good job in this regard. And his trades have been very good.
Clearly though the roster needs to be retooled.
What am I missing?

You're missing the demolition followed by the hiring of a legitimate architect. Perhaps high colonics and a coup at the very top.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Only a matter of time, Price will be dangled for trade, I just hope we have a new GM by then.

I hope for Price's sake he gets moved to a contender. Bergevin was clever to make Price the highest paid goalie, because that ensures a competent D corps is unnecessary, saving a ton of money on the blue line.

Reactions: Pickles and BLONG7

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Dominik Hasek's greatest achievement is defeating Team Canada at the Olympics.

Carey Price's greatest achievement is winning behind Team Canada at the Olympics.

I'd add that keeping his cool in Montreal (which is actually the virtually unknown 10th concentric circle of Dante's Inferno) is a great achievement.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

No goalie thrives behind chaos. Price is stuck behind junk. He can make a good defensive team great. No goalie can make a terrible defensive team good/great. It’s been an argument for years on goalies in general. I’m a huge Carey Price fan obviously but the whole non sense he turned this team from a lottery team to a 100+ team was non sense. He needs support like any other elite player in the league, he was never an exception which is why I think he’s always got way more hate then he deserved the past 3 years outside of the contract which is a completely different argument.

Reactions: Pickles

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Team in front is good. Goalie is good.

Team in front is bad. Goalie is bad.

Never pay goalie money. He is result of the team in front. I don't even know who these goalies are that lead the league in sv% every year.
Nonsense.

A great goalie can make up for a mediocre defense corps and make a huge difference in a team's fortunes. On the flipside a bad goalie can lose games behind good teams.

Price is not behind a bad corps btw, he's behind a terrible one. Same as last year when we still managed to put up 97 points with him holding the fort.

There are limits to everything though. If you stick ANY player behind a bad club there's only so much they can do. Again, McDavid can't get his club to the playoffs. And before you start talking about point totals vs goalie stats... they are apples and oranges. McDavid isn't penalized when his team gets scored on. His stats are cummulative, not average based. Price can make several great saves and give up four goals. His play is great but his numbers aren't. That's the nature of the beast. It doesn't mean that goalies aren't important and it doesn't mean they can't make up for a lot in front of them. But they aren't miracle workers.

Patrick Roy understood this and got the f*** out of Dodge while he still could. His numbers were crap and he got the hell out because he knew what was coming. That doesn't make him any less of a goalie because he couldn't save the Habs from what they were becoming, nor does it diminish the cups he won afterwards. He was a huge part of those cup wins even on those stacked teams. Players need good teams to win cups. It doesn't matter if your a goalie, winger or blueliner... If your team sucks you aren't going anywhere.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Habs let up way too many shots on goal. There's not a goalie in the league that can consistently put up results with this type of workload night after night.

It's not the era where goalies with huge equipment put up monster stats making 50 saves a night. The game was so different then, you could play the trap and you could more easily contain guys.

These are high quality chances and there are so many of them. Players now are so strong and fast. You can't contain them with just good systems. You need talent, high quality talent and a lot of it. And systems that wrok around that. Good development and scouting can find and mold the right guys, and you need to make trades.

Talent pool is getting stronger in the NHL. Enforcers are all gone, and soon the plugs will be too. Dinosaur coaches and GMs are the only ones still acquiring these players. There is no system where Petry and Kulak/Chiarot can consistently shut down Stamkos/Kucherov/Point or Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak or Tavares/Matthews/Marner or even f***ing Brady Tkachuk. Too many chances for these guys. Forwards need to help more and we just need better guys with better anticipation.

Reactions: Pickles

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I hope for Price's sake he gets moved to a contender. Bergevin was clever to make Price the highest paid goalie, because that ensures a competent D corps is unnecessary, saving a ton of money on the blue line.

Contenders are contenders cause they didn't put 10 million bucks into a goalie.
If by some chance he gets traded it will be to a team from the bottom around the cap floor.
But I suspect we'll watch 37 yrs old Price with CH jersey on .865.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Contenders are contenders cause they didn't put 10 million bucks into a goalie.
If by some chance he gets traded it will be to a team from the bottom around the cap floor.
But I suspect we'll watch 37 yrs old Price with CH jersey on .865.

His cap has not been relevant to the success or failure of the team. He's a solid goalie and his play is affected by how the D plays. Habs are still trying to know which way to play,incredible as that sounds,but the games show that. When their D pinch en masse,they get burnt often on odd man rushes. However when the Habs play a more defensive all round game,goals are limited as are quality scoring chances at the detriment for scoring goals.

Reactions: groovejuice

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
So it IS possible for him to do well with this defense. He just sucked last month.

I don't think it's that simple.

Habs started playing a different type of hockey…..a more Claude Julien's type of hockey actually.
That's why both goalie (Price and Primeau) looked better. They did the same thing last year.

If you take out all the empty net goals…..we pretty much won or lost all game by very low scores of 2-1, 3-1, 3-2.

In the first 26 games, we saw 17 games with 7 or more goals scored
In the last 8 games, we saw one game with 6 goals scored (with a empty net goal) and all the other was 5 goals or less.

And who played in the first 26 games and missed the last 8 games?
Victor Mete.

They made the switch right there.
Boring, tight defensive safe game….but the goalie's stats looked better.

Playing a very open game with that defensive is a nightmare for a goalie and that's how we played.
But it's fun and as long as we win (Which is more important than stats) we could continue playing that type of hockey.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I was only able to listen last night and I turned in once Weber scored.

It did sound like there were a lot of odd man rushes and Price was a rock and basically allowed the team to win.
He was very solid , honnestly I don't complain about offiating often but yesterday they were absolutely brutal , Price and our PK most definitely gave us a chance to win last night when the game was tied . But nothing new , he always plays good on western Canadian trips

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
He looked fantastic last night in VAN
Watching him play last night was like he was a different guy. Totally engaged and seemed almost uncharacteristically energetic.
Not to open up this old nugget, but if I'm Seattle, I'm making calls daily to MB to see where they are in dealing Price to them.

Reactions: Doxinoctae
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad