Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
What makes Price vulnerable is when he's constantly on his knees. The shooting angle to the up are more reachable and the chances to score on him too. That's one of his bad habit since he became a pro. How is he still doing that...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is 7th in save percentage (.922)and 8th in goals against average (2.34) since Jan 1st 2019. I used min games played of 6 if you want to check yourself.

People seem pretty quick to forget how good he was the second half of last season. His start of this season is better than last season. I expect much of the same this year, much like I expect the same folks to come out of their caves after a bad game like today.

Edit: Gave up 2 or less in 25 of the 36 games to end last season. 3 or less in 29 of 36.

Good stuff. People think Price is god for some reason because we are paying him as the undisputed best in the world. He is one of the best for sure IMO.

If Price played on contender with sound D, he would win cups for them. That's the difference a guy like this in net makes. Without Price and a average NHL goalie, Habs are in the bottom 10 somewhere

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Good stuff. People think Price is god for some reason because we are paying him as the undisputed best in the world. He is one of the best for sure IMO.

If Price played on contender with sound D, he would win cups for them. That's the difference a guy like this in net makes. Without Price and a average NHL goalie, Habs are in the bottom 10 somewhere
For years Habs management stopped building a team once they relyed on Price.
Like if they can keep mediocrity almost everywhere and still we can be cup contender with a better goalie. An obsolete concept if you ask me. We don't win cups anymore with a new Brodeur or Roy and nobody else. And the medias like rds or cogeco are also part of that "salesman's pitch" in favor of Price.

Reactions: BLONG7

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Last time Price was in the top ten for a whole season, not counting the year he was injured and only played 12 games, was his Vezina Year.

Here's where he finished: 2016-17 Gaa 23rd, save% 20th. 17/18, 64th and 70th. WOW.. 18/19, 17th and 20th. Right now? 31st in save % and 25th in Gaa. You can disguise it any way you want, those are not very good numbers for your highest paid player.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like if they can keep mediocrity almost everywhere and still we can be cup contender with a better goalie. An obsolete concept if you ask me. We don't win cups anymore with a new Brodeur or Roy and nobody else. And the medias like rds or cogeco are also part of that "salesman's pitch" in favor of Price.

05 Draft: Price
07 Draft: Mcdonagh, Patch, Subban
08-15 Drafts: Gallagher, Galchenyuk (Domi), Lehkonen, Juulsen

We traded away lots of picks in the 08-15 draft years (8 year span and only 4 players to show for it). The major problems we have had with Price, Patch, Subban is we didn't continue to follow it up with good drafting. Trading away picks needs to stop and Bergevin has done this. He has accumulated them and he needs to keep going

We are here today because we had a horrible 8 year stretch of drafting after our two good ones in 05 and 07.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last time Price was in the top ten for a whole season, not counting the year he was injured and only played 12 games, was his Vezina Year.

Here's where he finished: 2016-17 Gaa 23rd, save% 20th. 17/18, 64th and 70th. WOW.. 18/19, 17th and 20th. Right now? 31st in save % and 25th in Gaa. You can disguise it any way you want, those are not very good numbers for your highest paid player.

You think Price can turn our team D into a top 10 or top 5 by himself?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What makes Price vulnerable is when he's constantly on his knees. The shooting angle to the up are more reachable and the chances to score on him too. That's one of his bad habit since he became a pro. How is he still doing that...

That isn’t a habit he’s had since he came into the league. That’s fairly recent within the last 2-3 seasons. I don’t know what’s going on in Price’s head, but from a technical standpoint, I would imagine it crept in when the team could know longer stop the opposition from taking away his vision. He’s always played percentages, and he was great at it. But he’s relying to hard to take away the bottom half of the net at times . I honestly don’t think it’s to much worry about. If the defence improves, and it can’t get much lower then it is right now at the NHL level, he’ll be back to where he was last year, or hell, even the level he was at the last couple of weeks before last night.

Reactions: Milhouse40

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
8 yrs in, and a GM who rides a goalie towards another extension. It seems to be working for the GM, and the GM only. Sad...we have holes on D, and a GM who has not yet replaced a Markov, 3 years later.
As we saw last night, there are games Price is going to have a rough nite, great to see the team pick him up, but....

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I was reminded of a great comment by Dryden last Sunday on TLMEP. He'd brought his mask with him and was showing it and was asked about today's masks, then he said something like: "You know why goalies used to play stand up style? So they wouldn't get hit in the face with the puck, we were scared stiff when slaps shots came our way."

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009

With this top 10 in 2016-17 how could you ever expect him to be in it. The top 4 goalies in save percentage have a combined 30 saves and 0 games started. The top 7 combined started 5 games and faced 171 shots.

If you put a 10 games played minimum, which I think is fair to remove the not even full year back ups, he is then tied for 9th at .923. 5 games played minimum tied him for 11th. That has 5 backs up in the top 10.

All in all I wouldnt cast stones about disguising stuff when you are counting goalies who didnt even start games.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
With this top 10 in 2016-17 how could you ever expect him to be in it. The top 4 goalies in save percentage have a combined 30 saves and 0 games started. The top 7 combined started 5 games and faced 171 shots.

If you put a 10 games played minimum, which I think is fair to remove the not even full year back ups, he is then tied for 9th at .923. 5 games played minimum tied him for 11th. That has 5 backs up in the top 10.

All in all I wouldnt cast stones about disguising stuff when you are counting goalies who didnt even start games.
LOL and forget Charlie Lindgren? But you're right, that wasn't a fair list.

Reactions: Perrah

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
The fact we gave him $10M and he can only play 60 games is amazing. Imagine paying a #1D or #1C that money and they can only play 60 games.

I'm not blaming Price, as it makes sense for a goalie to avoid back-to-backs. In fact, I would just pay two 1B type goalies and play each 40 games.

But NHL GMs have to be the dumbest species on earth. Are they even capable of basic napkin math? How do you pay for a full season when you know the player you're signing shouldn't/can't play it?

Can you even just calculate the difference of a .920 sv% vs. a .910 sv% (which is league average) over the course of 60 games? It's 18 goals. Would you pay $10M for an 18 goal scorer?

If Price can EVEN GET TO .920, he's stopping like 18, 20, 22 extra shots for f*** sake. Do the math on a napkin. I can't believe how far in the stone age the NHL is.

Last edited:

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
LOL and forget Charlie Lindgren? But you're right, that wasn't a fair list.

With regards to the other 2 years 2017-18 was a terrible year. I thought last year was a good 2/3rds of a year, with a poor start. This year will be a fair year to judge where the contract is going, value wise. He has been better to start this season than to start last season. I expect him to be in the .920's if the defense can just become predictable for him and they can limit the cross ice stuff. That seems to be a big difference from last year to this year for some reason. Perhaps I am wrong on that.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Price rarely wins a game by being outstanding.
He's very good on many nights.
But i would expect more from the top paid goalie in hockey.
Patrick roy was a spectacular goalie and won multiple cups.
I dont see that type of run in Price.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Go back, and look at the teams Roy had in front of him......hardly a fair comparison at all. The list that played in front of Roy has hall of famers on it......Price not so much...

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Go back, and look at the teams Roy had in front of him......hardly a fair comparison at all. The list that played in front of Roy has hall of famers on it......Price not so much...
Did you actually watch what Roy did in the playoffs?
Those Montreal teams were anything but great. Bellows and DAmphousse were not exactly superstars.
Roy carried them. 4 Cups, 3 Conn Smythe's, 10 straight overtime wins. No other championship winning goaltender in-between the 1986 and 1993 Stanley Cups was able to post a GAA at or below 2.00 or a SPCT at or above .920 during their Cup run. Let that greatness sink in.

REGARDLESS Price has done SQUAT in the playoffs. That's just a fact. Most great goalies had playoff runs. Price has not regardless of who's fault it is.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Our offense is good. We are playing well overall but there’s nowhere near the talent on the backend. And when guys make dumb plays it puts the goalie in a position to look bad.

No reason to have not improved the backend. If we did we’re probably in the playoffs this year. We’d definitely have made it last year.

As it is now it’s very tough for our backups to win and that’s despite us being able to score.
Yes our defense is bad, but its still much better than TOML lol

If that can soothe things up.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

This is the problem with our fanbase summed up in one paragraph. Every goalie from here and into the future will be compared to Roy and former others when the product on this ice isn’t even close to what those goalies played behind. We have a rich history of goalies. Price is the first elite to not play behind a contender. Whether he ever does is completely reliant on what happens the next 6-7 years. Roy was also on another level. Beating on a guy because he can’t replicate Roy is ludicrous.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The fact we gave him $10M and he can only play 60 games is amazing. Imagine paying a #1D or #1C that money and they can only play 60 games.

I'm not blaming Price, as it makes sense for a goalie to avoid back-to-backs. In fact, I would just pay two 1B type goalies and play each 40 games.

But NHL GMs have to be the dumbest species on earth. Are they even capable of basic napkin math? How do you pay for a full season when you know the player you're signing shouldn't/can't play it?

Can you even just calculate the difference of a .920 sv% vs. a .910 sv% (which is league average) over the course of 60 games? It's 18 goals. Would you pay $10M for an 18 goal scorer?

If Price can EVEN GET TO .920, heN's stopping like 18, 20, 22 extra shots for **** sake. Do the math on a napkin. I can't believe how far in the stone age the NHL is.

Why you're not pissed about paying players ton of money to play only 17:00 minutes a night?
Goalie are on the ice 60 minutes per games.

Price has been on the ice for 720 minutes this season
Not one player in the NHL has been on the ice more than 440 minutes.
Technically speaking, you are paying forwards and D to spend more than half of every single game sitting on the bench

Why would they get their 8-9-10-11 millions and goaltender should get paid less?
Not to mention that have a reliable goaltender for many years is one of the hardest thing to find.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
This is the problem with our fanbase summed up in one paragraph. Every goalie from here and into the future will be compared to Roy and former others when the product on this ice isn’t even close to what those goalies played behind. We have a rich history of goalies. Price is the first elite to not play behind a contender. Whether he ever does is completely reliant on what happens the next 6-7 years. Roy was also on another level. Beating on a guy because he can’t replicate Roy is ludicrous.
In no way was i "beating on Price". Just stating the obvious.

The guy is paid as the top goalie in hockey. He's never won a cup or led a team on a long run.

Many goalies have led mediocre teams on playoff runs.

Price has done none of that.

I think he's a very good goalie. Not great. Not yet anyway. And of course he'll be compared to the great goalies of the past. The fact that he is being compared says he's in that category or at least hovering around it.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad