Movies: Captain Marvel

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Good times. The climax of Carol unlocking her full powers was surprisingly fun!

I called every single shapeshifter though, that was a bit annoying. Same with the "it was the 90's! Get it?!", not overdone but came very close. Absolute best Stan Lee cameo so far, Mallrats was legit and big shout out to the Marvel intro having Stan's face everywhere, that was classy.

I'm still down for more superheroes and I can't believe I feel that way.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Grenade. I find losing an eye to a flerken more badass but that's because I see humor in lots of places where I shouldn't.
Glad you found enjoyment in it.
Like I also mentioned, I guessed it from the moment I saw Goose in the marketing.
For myself; the predictability of it all took away any humour.

More I think about it, the higher it climbs on my fav. MCU origin movie lists.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Took my 3 year old daughter to see it and she loved it. I thought it was really good.

Disney is going to be printing money this year with Frozen 2 and End Game.

Reactions: Huggy43

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I really liked the movie but at the same time I was disappointed with what little they had Mar-Vell and how much the character was changed.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
**Warning, might have some potential spoilers**

Watched the movie last night - for the record I was super hyped for this movie and was scared after all the backlash right before made the movie mediocre - and I thought it was ****ing amazing. A million times better than Black Panther for me and an aspect why is because all of the sci-fi aspects of it. Brie, though an idiot for making controversial remarks right before the movie release, was simply fantastic. Actually, I thought Jude Law was freakin' amazing and his performance is very underrated heading into the flick. Really enjoyed how unique the movie went, you thought it was her losing her memories, falling to earth with strange power, and getting all of them back. But I thought the directors did a fantastic job showcasing her memory bank during sequences where the Skrull needed information to find their people (very good job here).

An aspect I quite enjoyed is that a lot of sci-fi futures really reminded me of Destiny if anybody ever played that game: Skrull were like the Fallen, Kree would be like evil Guardians, the Kree Super Intelligence was like the Vex, and Captain Marvel was normal Guardians fighting to protect Traveller's "light". The music and 90s scenes were just so awesome, but I really wish the score was more futuristic similar to Tron instead of full on orchestral pieces. The movie also had an immersive (and impressive) amount of humour where it was conducted at perfect times throughout the film. Lastly, Marvel and Fury's character relationship could be the best we've seen so far, yes even over Thor/Hulk and GotG.

One part I am confused about concerning my Marvel comic book friends here since I never read the comic books is that the Skrull were just as bad as the Kree, no? Were they ever the "good guys" just wanting to live in piece because the directors made them really apologetic?

The movie wasn't perfect though, the Ronin scene of him coming and then leaving like it was some sort of fastfood restaurant did not fit at all. All the Nick Fury and cat scenes were super dumb as I thought they were going to be heading into the movie. The space cat scratching his eye was the most anti-climatic scene considering how badass of a character Nick Fury was (it should've been a Kree blast and one of the alien cat arms taking out his eye). Also, I think Captain Marvel should've been more "alien" to Earth in her customs and mannerisms, but I get that the Kree are a super advanced civilization.

Everything else I loved and honestly it was a space version of Dr. Stranges for me (while Stranges was more multi-dimensions). I think Marvel has done a fantastic job starting the universe off slow and adding more sci-fi elements to it and expand it to what we have now. I don't know if I would've liked this movie if it was released back with Iron Man 2 and Thor instead of now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drop Shock

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
for the most part I loved the music choices. The climactic battle kinda stuck out though. Just a little too on the nose, and also just not enough of an ass kicking song.

The super slow burn is what is making the cosmic stuff work so well (that and Fiege knows exactly what he is doing). If we didn’t have multiple movies set entirely in space with all mix of weird aliens and humans and such then this kind of thing wouldn’t really work. This is the benefit of being 20+ films deep into a shared canon.

Fiege deserves a lifetime achievement Oscar and not in 10 years. Like, in 2020. Isn’t he walking away after End Game? Or taking a more hands off approach?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nizdizzle

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
for the most part I loved the music choices. The climactic battle kinda stuck out though. Just a little too on the nose, and also just not enough of an ass kicking song.

The super slow burn is what is making the cosmic stuff work so well (that and Fiege knows exactly what he is doing). If we didn’t have multiple movies set entirely in space with all mix of weird aliens and humans and such then this kind of thing wouldn’t really work. This is the benefit of being 20+ films deep into a shared canon.

Fiege deserves a lifetime achievement Oscar and not in 10 years. Like, in 2020. Isn’t he walking away after End Game? Or taking a more hands off approach?

agreed on the final battle music. that was too on the nose for me as well. I personally would've stuck with the marvel cinematic score there. We're seeing her full powers, make it epic.

that song should've been used elsewhere, like either the opening sparring scene or the granny fight

I will say...
I called the good guy/bad guy flip because of Guardians 1. Saw Kree as good guys and thought, "wait, wasn't Ronin a Kree" then sure enough, there he is. One of the minor drawbacks to the amount of universe building the MCU has had.
But not big enough to get mad

Sep 19, 2008
5oafo07m1el21.jpg

Sep 19, 2008
That being said lurking /r/marvelstudios people seemed to have an issue with Brie being OP. Brie "never really faced any adversity" really? She literally
had to choose between being a Kree or turning heel on them and going with the Skrull

That is as adversity as it gets :laugh:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
That being said lurking /r/marvelstudios people seemed to have an issue with Brie being OP. Brie "never really faced any adversity" really? She literally
had to choose between being a Kree or turning heel on them and going with the Skrull

That is as adversity as it gets :laugh:

she didn’t face adversity in the sense that she didn’t get her butt kicked and had to get stronger, etc. it’s funny because that’s what I liked about it. Yeah, all superhero movies follow a similar pattern, but this was a little different in that sense. Guess you just can’t please everyone.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I gotta say, it is pretty funny at r/KotakuInAction. Now that Captain Marvel is sort of an unqualified success they have been forced to try and bury the story in a single megathread. :laugh:

A big complaint I am seeing is that it opened in more theatres than anything else and so this big box office isn't actually impressive. :popcorn:

Sep 19, 2008
I gotta say, it is pretty funny at r/KotakuInAction. Now that Captain Marvel is sort of an unqualified success they have been forced to try and bury the story in a single megathread. :laugh:

A big complaint I am seeing is that it opened in more theatres than anything else and so this big box office isn't actually impressive. :popcorn:
lmao /r/mensrights is so angry about it. One person literally told me that Wonder woman was a better movie. Are you serious.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I really liked what they did with the Skrulls. I really, REALLY did not want to see even any semblance of "turns out Person X was an evil Skrull all along!". That kind of shapeshifting stuff always makes for terrible storytelling.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
. One person literally told me that Wonder woman was a better movie. Are you serious.

Honestly... for me its flip a coin. Both movies had their good and bad. I personally enjoyed CM a little bit more than WW but WW felt like a more intriguing character. Regardless both are great popcorn flicks and not much more.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Honestly... for me its flip a coin. Both movies had their good and bad. I personally enjoyed CM a little bit more than WW but WW felt like a more intriguing character. Regardless both are great popcorn flicks and not much more.

I enjoyed both very much. No idea which movie I liked better, but I think I’d say I left the Cap. Marvel movie with more excitement because of its overall connection to the MCU. There was a lot more at stake with Captain Marvel than WW.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad