Movies: Captain Marvel

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
First impression is it was very good. One of the better MCU origin movies. First 1/3 or so is a bit generic spacey stuff, but I really liked the rapport between Carol and Fury.

Loved the mid credits scene.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
all in all it was a very good movie, at least equal to Black Panther.

It was a good story, lots of tie backs to older MCU movies (especially Guardians 1), really didnt have any faults with it. Typical Marvel humor, but again well done. The jokes all landed and they werent in spots that took away from the action or suspense. It also managed to avoid the pitfall of origin stories and didnt get bogged down expositioning every little thing. Really there was next to no exposition and still managed not to have people wondering who is who and what side is for what.

the mid credit scene = Endgame boner fuel

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Shaw it last night. It didn't wow me, but entertaining enough.

I found the first part too disorienting, and it made me less interested in the character. Movie really ramps up near the end though, and the final battle was a lot of fun.

Reactions: Burnoutboi

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Shaw it last night. It didn't wow me, but entertaining enough.

I found the first part too disorienting, and it made me less interested in the character. Movie really ramps up near the end though, and the final battle was a lot of fun.

Agree in the first part, but I think that was intentional.

They did that so we were confused and disoriented the same way she was

Notice that once she got to Earth the pace and editing slowed down as she became less confused

Sep 19, 2008
People that like Brie Larson act like she is Meryl Streep.

That ain't true. People who like Brie Larson didn't see what she did wrong. "She has no charisma" That ain't true

She did above average and I'm not quick to judge her performance negatively

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Agree in the first part, but I think that was intentional.

They did that so we were confused and disoriented the same way she was

Notice that once she got to Earth the pace and editing slowed down as she became less confused

Agreed. I can see why, and you've seen similar techniques used. I feel it didn't quite work well enough in the payoff to be worth the confusion.

That said, the standard narrative form of the superhero origin story would have felt stale, so I'm glad they tried something like that, but it could have been executed better.

Note: I recognize that I'm nitpicking.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In case people were wondering about Project Pegasus and the Tesseract:

From The Avengers when Fury and Hill arrive at the facility:

latest

Reactions: S E P H and Huggy43

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

The number has been updated to $153M as official domestic estimate for the weekend with many expecting it to inch up when actuals come in. The international numbers are through the roof though, with a $455M global debut.

The numbered really shouldn't be downplayed. There's very few situations where I think you can presume this type of box office success. Marvel is the safest brand out there right now, but, there was still risk with a solo character introduction at this stage that seems to have paid off for them.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
One of the best parts. :laugh:
I really enjoyed the movie but didn’t like this part. After seeing the 1st mention of Goose, I guessed what was going to happen. Being able to call it months in advance is kinda lame writing for me.
Also in the comics didn’t Fury lose his eye in a very badass way?

And tbh I didn’t even realize he lost it until the Coulson scene... Loved the movie but imo found that part to be lazy.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I really enjoyed the movie but didn’t like this part. After seeing the 1st mention of Goose, I guessed what was going to happen. Being able to call it months in advance is kinda lame writing for me.
Also in the comics didn’t Fury lose his eye in a very badass way?

And tbh I didn’t even realize he lost it until the Coulson scene... Loved the movie but imo found that part to be lazy.

Grenade. I find losing an eye to a flerken more badass but that's because I see humor in lots of places where I shouldn't.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

One of the funnies bits in the film. And might be a reference to this:

It's cute looking through various replies here and seeing the people who just can't let it go that the movie is successful. I liked this one:

Yes because the movie would be doing so much better if Captain Marvel looked like a stripper with big fake boobs :laugh:

Reactions: JBeast and Pilky01

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
My biggest issue with these heroes that fly into space is that none of them ever calculate their trajectory and whether or not it crosses the path of space debris.

I want the next Avengers film to end with Iron Man or Captain Marvel being killed by a bolt or screw going 18,000 miles an hour through their abdomen. Serves them right for never once doing the mandatory research required to survive the journey,

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
My biggest issue with these heroes that fly into space is that none of them ever calculate their trajectory and whether or not it crosses the path of space debris.

I want the next Avengers film to end with Iron Man or Captain Marvel being killed by a bolt or screw going 18,000 miles an hour through their abdomen. Serves them right for never once doing the mandatory research required to survive the journey,

Well they tend to have such powers that space debris feels rather...puny.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's cute looking through various replies here and seeing the people who just can't let it go that the movie is successful. I liked this one:

Yes because the movie would be doing so much better if Captain Marvel looked like a stripper with big fake boobs :laugh:

Some more serious suggestions have included Emily Blunt and Yvonne Strahovski but both are 36 and I think were both pregnant at the time of casting and shooting. Not sure either were reluctant for such a physical role.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
No that was stupid. This is something that Fury would definitely lie about. :laugh:
Welp color me surprised that someone like you would like stupidity when its in Marvel films but thinks it is stupid when it's in a DC film. So many stupid things in this film from changing Mar-Vell to a female character only to kill "her" off with minimal screen time. Down to the saturation of this female empowerment garbage where they actually played the song Just A Girl during her end fight.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

Can't really do that when you have Iron Man withstanding f***in Thanos with stones or getting destroyed by Thors hammer in the first Avengers film. All that while having Rhody be paralyzed by basically falling out of the sky I guess the durability of the suits worn change when its a main character or a side character.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad