Movies: Captain Marvel

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm sorry, and I'm not saying you have to believe this but I have a really, really hard time believing the level of trolling associated with this movie, as a whole, is "ambiguously motivated". From any single individual, sure. At the level observed and pointed out (far above comparable releases)? Yeah, not buying it. I'm not saying it's all "sexism" related but I do think it's a blatant backlash that's not composed only or primarily of your "do gooders' trying to counterbalance a bunch of fanboys with their own brand of "societal review justice" but has a lot to do with people being petty and just in general trying to make sure people don't enjoy something they think they wouldn't.

I mean, in general, if you are excited about something, you're going to want to let people know. If you *aren't* excited about something...if you are the opposite of excited, isn't the rational thing to simply not expend your time and energy on the subject in the first place? This is different than two people, one positive and one negative who have seen or done something and are responding after the fact. Fanboy is gonna fanboy even before seeing a movie because that's what he spends his free time being interested in. A troll claims utter indifference and yet spends their time on the subject matter anyways. Who's kidding who here?
I disagree with this a lot and it's a fallacy that generally annoys me.

I think that the reality is, if you have a strong opinion about the validity of something you come across, you're going to want to let people know about it, whether your feelings are born out of excitement or disgust. Especially if those feelings are not already shared by everyone.

And really, the only reason not to have that attitude is if you think there's something inherently unacceptable or bad about negativity, but there really isn't. We're not children and we shouldn't have such thin skin. Both positive and negative impressions should be treated similarly and not taken personally.

There's an inherent satisfaction to expressing what you think is true/just that has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to share something you enjoy. Hell, that's the only reason I'm bothering to notice this topic and write up this response. It may not be worth being possessive about and taking personally, but it's worth expending energy on, sure. It's fun for me to sincerely give my two cents, period, and therefore, it's rational.

That's certainly how my brain is wired. This idea that you should only want to talk about something because you enjoy it sounds needlessly restrictive/appalling to me and is not something I've ever related to or aspired to at all. I mean, it might be fair to label that attitude as overly anal if you wish, but to feel compelled to label that as "trolling" or as something whose motivations we should be inherently skeptical of seems very close-minded and more like a defense mechanism than genuine insight to me.

And again, I have no idea if that actually applies to these people (for all I know, they might all be ***-holes), but the outright automatic condemnation of motivation based purely on disagreeable politics combined with negativity is something I'll always argue against.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORRFForever

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Thought it was good, not great. Random thoughts...

-you have to try really REALLY hard to get even a little upset at any feminist tones in this film. The few that were there were light and they worked well with the movie and the Captain Marvel from the comics

-Brie did a very good job. Had a lot of charm and charisma, made me root for her and the movie

-didn’t see the plot twist coming, I liked it

-Fury was alright. Got a little annoyed with him and the cat love

-felt like Danver’s powers weren’t explained well at all. They were just there and I spent most of the movie unsure of what she could do and/why she could do it. The blast didn’t explain it enough

-liked how they handled her memories being all over the place. Cool stylistically

Overall a middle of the pack marvel movie. Story was fine, bad guys pretty generic, Jude Law was good but didn’t do much. Falls somewhere in the Dr. Strange/Ant Man level.

Most importantly, very excited to see her in Endgame so job well done.

7.5/10

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Just saw it & loved it.

A very solid Marvel movie, especially for an origin story. Only gripe is about her powers not being explained.

Goose <3

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Later today at 1:20 going to see it with the same group of friends I've been going to all the Marvel, and most DC, comic book movies since the first X-men was released. Can't wait.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Movie was ok but as someone who has read a lot of comics i am confused on the motives of the heros and bad guys. From my knowledge the motives are totally twisted and bSS Aackwards. Unless something changed over the long years after the initial big avengers war i feel a bit let down.

I also didnt love how powerful this character was. I felt they missed the mark.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The people who have actually seen the movie, have spoken:

I came here to post this.

It's pretty much the default score for Marvel, with only a handful of films getting the A+ (Black Panther, Avengers 1), and a few falling below (Thor 1 and 2, Hulk, Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain America: First Avenger).

Box office wise, it's heading for $160M or so, but that can probably move a bit up or down. That blows past a lot of the other solo Marvel films out of the water, but with a lot of unique factors (first female lead Marvel film, placement in the Infinity War plotline, lower competition, etc.) it's hard to unpack what drove the success here. It seems to be doing very well overseas too.

It's a clear win for Disney, who seems able to continue to release new characters that are well received.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And again, I have no idea if that actually applies to these people (for all I know, they might all be ***-holes), but the outright automatic condemnation of motivation based purely on disagreeable politics combined with negativity is something I'll always argue against.

The thing, and you missed most of the discussion here, is that we covered the whole backstory for this and know them to be exactly that.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Like I said, if you've read my movie reviews, you'd know I HATE Super Hero movies and if people keep going to them, they will continue. If a post of mine can convince someone to go see something other than a Super Hero movie, I have made the world a better place because other / better types of movies will be made in the future.

Hey, I have an idea. It’s rather simple really. If you don’t like something, then don’t buy it, see it, use it, feel it, eat it, drink it, listen to it or touch it. It’s really that simple and it makes life easier and less stressful.

But to go on a crusade and to try to convince others to think exactly like you, means you have an agenda. I can only imagine what that agenda might be, if only I could point to something that has been (made up) controversial about this movie. I wonder.....

Remember the world don’t move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, might not be right for some.

Reactions: Supermassive

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Interesting. You rushed out to see it on the first day and didn’t like it. What made it a piece of trash?

- how fury lost his eye
- how captain marvel movie was more about nostalgia of the 90s instead of you know "captain marvel"
- what her powers actually mean? why is it the way they are?
- i wasnt looking for a buddy/cop movie; danvers is a solid character with depth in the comics - in the movies they made her bland
- kree and skull conflict; how earth plays a role wasn't explored in depth

as for why i went to see the movie on first day

- am pretty excited about endgame; so wanted to see how they introduce danvers who is supposed to play an important role in the movie

- this movie sucked ass.

you dont like my opinion fine; you can "love" the movie but don't expect everyone else to share the same opinion.

this movie was absolute trash

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
- how fury lost his eye
- how captain marvel movie was more about nostalgia of the 90s instead of you know "captain marvel"
- i wasnt looking for a buddy/cop movie; danvers is a solid character with depth in the comics - in the movies they made her bland

- am pretty excited about endgame; so wanted to see how they introduce danvers who is supposed to play an important role in the movie

- this movie sucked ass.

you dont like my opinion fine; you can "love" the movie but don't expect everyone else to share the same opinion.

It was an honest question bud. Found it interesting that you would rush out first night and then end up hating the movie. I am reading reviews by people who have also seen it and they all loved it, so your opinion stuck out. I was curious. All good, no one is saying you have to like it or be defensive about your opinion.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
- how fury lost his eye

- this movie sucked ass.

The Tesseract was on Earth. Both races wanted it.

I had no problem with the way Fury lost his eye because I can totally see him starting various rumors of how he lost it only so that he can say "I will neither confirm or deny it." and thus build the myth. The conversation with Son Of Coul just re-enforced that to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarnumEffect

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

I had no problem with the way Fury lost his eye because I can totally see him starting various rumors of how he lost it only so that he can say "I will not deny or verify it." and thus build the myth. The conversation with Son Of Coul just re-enforced that to me.

:shakehead

i find it funny that person X was experimenting with teh tesseract to explore light speed travelling and also helping the skrulls

but couldnt give the skrulls the tessereat

fury losing his eye the way he did was the DUMBEST thing ever. Absolutely pathetic

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
It was an honest question bud. Found it interesting that you would rush out first night and then end up hating the movie. I am reading reviews by people who have also seen it and they all loved it, so your opinion stuck out. I was curious. All good, no one is saying you have to like it or be defensive about your opinion.

All loved it?

Just from the reviews in this thread you can't say that anymore. ;)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

i find it funny that person X was experimenting with teh tesseract to explore light speed travelling and also helping the skrulls

fury losing his eye the way he did was the DUMBEST thing ever. Absolutely pathetic

Uhm, they sort of had it all along. ;)

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK

There’s always one that finds some mundane reason and cries about it. Most folk that are not super fans stay away from opening nights of a super blockbuster because of the crowds and hassle. The Fury eye controversy is easily found online, a lot of people talking about it, I guess you just happen to be one of them.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
There’s always one that finds some mundane reason and cries about it. Most folk that are not super fans stay away from opening nights of a super blockbuster because of the crowds and hassle. The Fury eye controversy is easily found online, a lot of people talking about it, I guess you just happen to be one of them.

I happen to be one of them? I haven't even seen the movie so I have not given a review of it yet. I haven't even mentioned the eye or even know what the problem is online.

But I guess that doesn't fit in to a certain belief system so time to lump me in with, "the others". Yeah.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I happen to be one of them? I haven't even seen the movie so I have not given a review of it yet. I haven't even mentioned the eye or even know what the problem is online.

But I guess that doesn't fit in to a certain belief system so time to lump me in with, "the others". Yeah.
Whoops I copied the wrong post. My bad, it’s fixed.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Saw it this morning, it was just ok. Liked some of it, but a lot of it was very slow and I dozed a bit at times.

This thread though is exhibit A why I get frustrated with movies or the entertainment industry these days. We can't just have movies anymore, they have to become (intentionally or not) "statements" or reasons for people to be upset about something, or promote some agenda.

The movie I'd say was a 3 or 3.5 on my Marvel 1-5 scale.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

We seem to disagree a lot more often than not, so I'm happy to finally have something to agree with you on completely. I think that what you're describing comes down to self awareness.

Self awareness is "having a clear perception of your personality, including strengths, weaknesses, thoughts, beliefs, motivation, and emotions. Self Awareness allows you to understand other people, how they perceive you, your attitude and your responses to them in the moment."

Those who don't have it believe that their opinions are facts, don't recognize when they have an agenda, think that anyone who rejects their agenda has one, themselves, and are unable or unwilling to put themselves in others' shoes and assume the worst of them. That tends to describe the extremists on both sides of any issue, including this one. They entrench themselves on one side, don't bother to try to understand the other side's beliefs and condemn them to prove how secure they are in their beliefs. That strikes me as insecurity, actually. If you're actually secure in your beliefs, other people's beliefs aren't a threat to you and you're willing to listen to them, be fair to them and not judge them too harshly.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

I had no problem with the way Fury lost his eye because I can totally see him starting various rumors of how he lost it only so that he can say "I will not deny or verify it." and thus build the myth. The conversation with Son Of Coul just re-enforced that to me.

Literally the dumbest part in the entire film.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad