garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Read a couple pages of the GDT
Damn opinions on Peluso is split.

I thought he was very good tonight.
Seemed like he got benched, anyone know why?

Also Pavs is ****.

Short bench. Whole 4th line got sat except Wright got put on the 3rd line.

Looked pretty good to me but some would of liked him to bury that tip and he had one bad pass to (I think) Olli.

JustBeCool

boom shakalaka
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
Not useless... It indicates how many pucks they stop relative to shots, just not predictive of the goalies future success because at a 1 game level shots and scoring chances can vary hugely (see this game and nashville game as a comparison).

But, yes useless for damning a goalie.

Also, for all the ones crying for Montoya over Pavelec based off of Sv% look where Montoya is on the list.
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=ShPctA&sortdir=ASC

I honestly believe neither are great goalies, but I'll take Pavelec on a non-b2b over Montoya.

I noticed that Montoya is lower in the list but he played a lot less than Pavelec. Does that make it a fair comparison? At this point, I see Montoya having more of a chance to improve than Pavelec who has been consistently below average.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think you're mistaken friend. I don't post much during the GDT because I'm on GCL and lagged.

edit: And you're right, but it wasn't a case of Holtby out playing Pavs. Pavs had a bad night combined with Holtby having an amazing night. He totally crapped the bed.

That's fine, you're not on GCL right now. Look through your posting history and look at your posts right around the time that the Caps scored their goals.

Hint: You happened to post something about rebounds right after they scored their first goal. Granted, you may just have been making a passing comment about rebounds in general, but some may have taken it as you blaming Pavelec for the first goal.

Can't continue this discussion right now. I'm off to bed, gonna see family tomorrow and want to be awake.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Short bench. Whole 4th line got sat except Wright got put on the 3rd line.

Looked pretty good to me but some would of liked him to bury that tip and he had one bad pass to (I think) Olli.

Seems to me Peluso (or anyone with a pulse) would be more useful than Wright when trailing.
Dude is an offensive black hole.

Also the tip Peluso missed was identical to one a Wheeler missed, so it must've been impossible.
:sarcasm:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Not a great game for Pavelec but 7 pages about it is crazy, especially as it's all saying the same thing. He lost us an extra point in the SO, yes. He didn't lose the game on his own, though. It was not Pavelec's fault the game was in OT in the first place. Holtby stole the Caps one point, but tried hard to give away the 2nd. Pavs just tried harder.

Also, this Montoya business is over the top. There's no harm in starting him, agreed, but he's no saviour, and he's not a long-term solution.

I think Pavelec is getting too much blame here. Sure, they didn't win the SO because of him, but how many games this year alone has he played the way many are asking him to play, but was let down by his team? Minnesota? Anaheim? This team isn't much better with a slightly better goalie in net, they're just slightly better. Doesn't mask the other problems this team has.

On a non-goaltending note, I think this is one of those games where Buff looked better than he actually was. Go back and see how Ovi got his breakaway in the first place, or his (lack of) pressure he puts on guys in front of his own net.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Entertaining game. How many two-on-ones and breakaways or partial breaks did we have? A couple of each. Jets deserved to win that game. Caps should take their two points and run like they stole it. Jets should try to build from this.

Notes/my view from 328:

A guy behind me was screaming mad when Olli was put in the shootout. 'WHY! WHY! WE HAVE KANE! ****** SO STUPID!'. I was almost tempted to turn around and tell him that Kane actually has a very poor shootout stat line and the Olli scored the shootout winner vs. the Blues, and a better SO record overall. But then Olli scored anyways and shut him up. :)

Was it just me or was that tripping call on Buff absolutely awful? From the replay it just looked like he was finishing his check. I didn't see a slough-foot, but maybe that's just me.

Pavs you gotta stop one of those 4 in the SO.

Scheif played a lot more time than I expected. I think he put himself in all the right positions to score, but had a few fan/hop on him.

Little trying to shake the '2C label' people put on him. Hopefully he can do it. However, his name is too un-macho so jersey sales will always be low. :)

Again, only maybe the 3rd game we actually 'deserved' to win. Unfortunately, ended up as a loss. A lot of the time we talk about being more 'happy about a good loss than with an ugly win'. This is one of those cases. I'm pretty happy after this loss.

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
I'm actually not all that upset. Yes I would be happier with a win, but we looked so much better tonight that I can't help but feel good about it. This is the team we know can show up and I really feel when Ladd is rolling the team is rolling. Last season LLW carried us through and made it close, but I feel we have more potential this year if we can get that kind of play out of everyone. Once we string a few wins together I think we will be merged and hitting the highway.

I had some beers so I'm feeling positively positive. :cheers:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Entertaining game. How many two-on-ones and breakaways or partial breaks did we have? A couple of each. Jets deserved to win that game. Caps should take their two points and run like they stole it. Jets should try to build from this.

Notes/my view from 328:

A guy behind me was screaming mad when Olli was put in the shootout. 'WHY! WHY! WE HAVE KANE! ****** SO STUPID!'. I was almost tempted to turn around and tell him that Kane actually has a very poor shootout stat line and the Olli scored the shootout winner vs. the Blues, and a better SO record overall. But then Olli scored anyways and shut him up. :)

Was it just me or was that tripping call on Buff absolutely awful? From the replay it just looked like he was finishing his check. I didn't see a slough-foot, but maybe that's just me.

Scheif played a lot more time than I expected. I think he put himself in all the right positions to score, but had a few fan/hop on him.

Little trying to shake the '2C label' people put on him. Hopefully he can do it. However, his name is too un-macho so jersey sales will always be low. :)

Again, only maybe the 3rd game we actually 'deserved' to win. Unfortunately, ended up as a loss. A lot of the time we talk about being more 'happy about a good loss than with an ugly win'. This is one of those cases. I'm pretty happy after this loss.

Was going to say, were you in 301? That was what my friend said almost verbatim. Don't worry, I set him straight. :laugh:

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Not going to dump on Pavelec. Disappointed with the result but satisfied with the effort and the uptick on the give a **** meter.

I wish they had showed this kind of effort in the Nashville game. Why oh why did I buy tickets to that game and not this one? :(

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Notes/my view from 328:

The tripping call on Buff was a bad call, Beyak and Hnidy even said so, Buff finished his check and the Cap fell down, BAD, BAD call.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Read a couple pages of the GDT
Damn opinions on Peluso is split.

I thought he was very good tonight.
Seemed like he got benched, anyone know why?

Also Pavs is ****.

Opinions on Peluso are always split, somehow. Guy was dynamite tonight but I'm sure a couple posters will tell us how he actually had 5-6 giveaways that weren't recorded in the official stats or in anyone else's memory, for that matter. :sarcasm:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Not a great game for Pavelec but 7 pages about it is crazy, especially as it's all saying the same thing. He lost us an extra point in the SO, yes. He didn't lose the game on his own, though. It was not Pavelec's fault the game was in OT in the first place. Holtby stole the Caps one point, but tried hard to give away the 2nd. Pavs just tried harder.

Also, this Montoya business is over the top. There's no harm in starting him, agreed, but he's no saviour, and he's not a long-term solution.

I think Pavelec is getting too much blame here. Sure, they didn't win the SO because of him, but how many games this year alone has he played the way many are asking him to play, but was let down by his team? Minnesota? Anaheim? This team isn't much better with a slightly better goalie in net, they're just slightly better. Doesn't mask the other problems this team has.

On a non-goaltending note, I think this is one of those games where Buff looked better than he actually was. Go back and see how Ovi got his breakaway in the first place, or his (lack of) pressure he puts on guys in front of his own net.

Pretty solid level-headed post. :clap:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Something to lighten the mood

Might deserve its own thread.

I've given up on embedding this...

Last edited:

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
My post on Pavelec is my first on the subject of him being bad. The reason I posted it today is not because he was bad in this game, but that it's just a constant bad performance and a lot of us are getting fed up with having to see our team play in front of a very poor goaltender. He can make some amazing saves, sure, but he quite often doesn't make the necessary saves. The ones that you just need your goalie to make to keep or turn the game in your favour. He'd make a great backup, but I just don't think he's starting material, nor do I remotely think that Montoya is the answer. I'm sure most of us don't think of Montoya as the answer, we're more thinking that at this point, what can it hurt to play him more often until we can get a real #1.

If there are so many posts stating that Pavs is bad that you're getting sick of it, maybe that's because Pavs is bad and more people are starting to figure this out.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Almost 50 shots! The Jets dominated. People talking about our bad D - how many odd man rushes and breakaways did the Caps give up? 10? It was a gongshow for them.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
My post on Pavelec is my first on the subject of him being bad. The reason I posted it today is not because he was bad in this game, but that it's just a constant bad performance and a lot of us are getting fed up with having to see our team play in front of a very poor goaltender. He can make some amazing saves, sure, but he quite often doesn't make the necessary saves. The ones that you just need your goalie to make to keep or turn the game in your favour. He'd make a great backup, but I just don't think he's starting material, nor do I remotely think that Montoya is the answer. I'm sure most of us don't think of Montoya as the answer, we're more thinking that at this point, what can it hurt to play him more often until we can get a real #1.

If there are so many posts stating that Pavs is bad that you're getting sick of it, maybe that's because Pavs is bad and more people are starting to figure this out.

And here in lies the problem. Pavs has actually been pretty solid for the most part this year. But now that the team is slowly starting to pick things up, and he's dropping off, his numbers are staying stagnate. So it's easy for people to just go straight to the SV%.

Almost 50 shots! The Jets dominated. People talking about our bad D - how many odd man rushes and breakaways did the Caps give up? 10? It was a gongshow for them.

Mike Green is absolutely horrendous defensively...:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad