Post-Game Talk: Caps win 5-4 in SO

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I am not going to talk about Pav. I have made my feelings clear and am not going to pile on. I'd rather focus on the positives.

We saw a total team effort for pretty much the whole game. Very impressive.

Ladd was a beast. Little was Little. Almost always impressed with him. Wheeler really looks like he's getting going thank God.

Peluso looked very good. Loved his physical play. That net drive was awesome, he actually roofed it but Holtby made a great save. I am going to get heat for this but I see a potential 3rd liner in him.

Postma and Clitsome were great. A confident Bogosian doesn't glove that puck to the opponent on that goal but I thought he was overall very good tonight. Scheifele played one of his best games as a pro tonight.

The officiating? Buff hits Johanson and gets a penalty. Grabovski basically ***** Enstrom and nothing.

I hope the players take all the positives out of this game instead of the fact that we lost in a SO.

The most exciting game of the season thats for sure.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
had to check the 4v5 cf/60 after that game

LOL http://www.extraskater.com/teams/2013/4v5

and it's not like we aren't shorthanded that often

lol Jets on average have created 2x more offense than the 3rd most offensive team on 4v5...

Well Ladd and Little are pretty good at that:
BQs_P3WCcAEoDvU.png

That's the top guys at generating chances on the PK who get regular minutes over the last 3 years.

Last edited:

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
I'm sad we lost in a SO, but really happy with the effort. That was a 60 minute effort by almost every player in a Jets uni last night.

Holtby may have "stolen" the game, but he let in a couple of goals that if Pavelec had let in we would've stormed the MTSC to lynch him. Holtby was weak on Wheeler's goal and Little's 2nd. Pavelec may have not played well, fault lies elsewhere on the 1st and 4th goals against. He HAS to be better in the SO, though.

The numbers don't lie - the Jets dominated that game. They outshot, outhit, outchanced the Caps in every period. It would be sweet to play every against such a porous defence - the Caps, especially Green, were horribad last night.

Nice to see Joki, Seto, Peluso, Clitsome, Pardy and Postma step up - that HAD to be Joki's best game as a Jet. Responsible in the neutral and defensive zones like I've never seen before.

All in all, a positive step forward for the team and a really entertaining game.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting read. Might I suggest a "why I hate Pavs thread" following every game so it doesn't completely drown out every other discussion on the PGT.

I thought Scheifele had a breakout game of sorts. He proved to me he will be at minimum a good #2 C in this league with the potential for more. His play last night Helped Kane and Wheeler play with max speed and he supported well. As he gets a little stronger and gains experience I think we will see him blossom. And he was pretty decent in the faceoff circle.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's fair, but too many people were acting like Montoya is all the sudden a star after his NJ game. There's a reason he's been a life long backup, and never given the chance to start anywhere. He's not some secret gem about to explode into the league.

What he can provide though is solid "ish" back up play and to me that means more rest for Pavs. Drea had a tough night and is getting killed on this thread and that happens when you blow a game for your team. My major issues with our goaltending are twofold #1 my BIGGEST disappointment with the off season was that we didn't bring in a 1b to challenge Pavs so we could play a platoon system like Chicago did last year or St Louis the year before and #2 USEAGE!!!!! We have a competent back up and I believe we should be using him at least every 4th game this year and definitely in all B2B situations. the primary reason for this is I think Pavs would do much better if he played less. despite what he says "I want to play every game" THAT IS NOT SETTING HIM UP FOR SUCCESS. Say what you will about our much maligned goalie but one thing is certain in my eyes.....since he has arrived in Winnipeg the coach has rode him into the ground each season and we are picking up where we left off last year.

I believe there isn't allot of difference between Pavs and Monty......neither one of them are quality NHL starting goalies so lets try increasing Monty's usage a bit to find out how the team and Pavs react. what if Pavs starts playing better with more rest between games?

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Interesting read. Might I suggest a "why I hate Pavs thread" following every game so it doesn't completely drown out every other discussion on the PGT.

I thought Scheifele had a breakout game of sorts. He proved to me he will be at minimum a good #2 C in this league with the potential for more. His play last night Helped Kane and Wheeler play with max speed and he supported well. As he gets a little stronger and gains experience I think we will see him blossom. And he was pretty decent in the faceoff circle.

Agree about Scheifele - I think he's getting more comfortable out there, and the balance of KSW and LLS looks like it could work. Loved Seto's hit behind the net to pop the puck loose to Ladd for Little's goal.

I'd love to see a Pavs thread posted that I could then ignore. My position: he needs improvement, but he's what we've got. Railing against it in every thread makes it difficult to discuss other salient points.

Edit: speaking of his face offs, he went 12w 9l for 57%, taking face offs against Backstrom and Laich, who are no slouches.

RonJon

May 18, 2011
I'm sad we lost in a SO, but really happy with the effort. That was a 60 minute effort by almost every player in a Jets uni last night.

Holtby may have "stolen" the game, but he let in a couple of goals that if Pavelec had let in we would've stormed the MTSC to lynch him. Holtby was weak on Wheeler's goal and Little's 2nd. Pavelec may have not played well, fault lies elsewhere on the 1st and 4th goals against. He HAS to be better in the SO, though.

The numbers don't lie - the Jets dominated that game. They outshot, outhit, outchanced the Caps in every period. It would be sweet to play every against such a porous defence - the Caps, especially Green, were horribad last night.

Nice to see Joki, Seto, Peluso, Clitsome, Pardy and Postma step up - that HAD to be Joki's best game as a Jet. Responsible in the neutral and defensive zones like I've never seen before.

All in all, a positive step forward for the team and a really entertaining game.

:handclap: well said.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Team played well. Our forwards and defensemen out played their counterparts. However, their goalie was better.

Dammit, there is nothing I hate more than a shootout to decide a game. I'd rather they play an additional 5 minute overtime - 3 on 3.

If the game is still tied after that then so be it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'll just focus on the positives:

The top two lines both clicked and played really well.

I thought the defense was also solid for themost part. Tough luck for Bogo on that one goal. If they play like this minus the penalties they will win a decent amount of games this year.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The loss actually stings less for me because I just sort of expected that we'd blow it in the shoot out. This whole team basically just had their heart ripped out of their chest by #31. I really want to see what Noelle does in response.

What a great game. It's criminal we lost.

the loss sucks because the Jets dominated 2/3 of the game, yet gave up at least 3 goals due to brain farts. total brain farts.

also sucks because the Caps are not a good team at this point of the year. they lost to an inferior team in what should have been a must-win game.

and i dig the Pavs hate. Holtby's the GOAT for his play and how he handled the shoot-out, but Pavs just needed to stop one for the win, eh? my complaint about Pavs in the shoot-out? everyone was going upstairs. it was obvious.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Lots and lots of positive from this one, great to see! The team responded and that is what we needed.

Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane all very strong. Scheifele showed some real nice tools. Setoguchi was engaged and that one hit behind the net was very well done. Peluso had a strong game.

Our best players were our best players, and that's exactly what was needed.

With that being said, we've seen this before, in identical fashion. Losing skid, meetings, a real character/hardworking game, but we have never been able to sustain it over the last 3 seasons. Will we this time? Is this our organizations turning point? Let's see.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
Like in the NFL the backup QB is always the most popular player on the team. Think the same can be said with our goaltending situation. Truth is I think we're very similar to the Houston Texans. Matt Schaub plays like crap the last few games throwing pick 6 so they go to TJ Yates who then also throws a pick 6. Good thing for them Chase Keenum looks to be a decent 3rd stringer... So who would our 3rd stringer be? Eddie Pasquale? Call him up!!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, it was a better game from a team perspective in the sense that things seemed to click offensively (much like the first game of the season. Remember when we were all optimistic about having 2 (3 even?) scoring lines? Those were good times man, gooood times.)

But its really about the next game and the game after that. We need to string some good games together now...its pretty much critical.

...and Pavs needs to be better. I fear he wont be, but he needs to be.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The next series of games will be very telling - a parade of Central teams. Looking forward to seeing if they can take this effort and build on it.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Last night was the Jets team I envisioned we'd see before the season started. If we use our speed like we can we will come out on top more often than not. Our goaltending is what it is.There's no use fretting about it. In time we will upgrade that area....it is a process after all :deadhorse

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
And here in lies the problem. Pavs has actually been pretty solid for the most part this year. But now that the team is slowly starting to pick things up, and he's dropping off, his numbers are staying stagnate. So it's easy for people to just go straight to the SV%.

Actually, other than when I come here and see it posted, I don't usually bother looking up his stats. I'm judging by what I see with my own eyes. You say Pavs has been pretty solid for the most part this year, but this year has barely started. I'm looking at what I've seen from him since I've started watching him play and what I've seen is, a very mediocre goaltender who has flashes of brilliance.

Now, this is the first thread I've stated that I'm not happy with Pavelecs play, people are really annoyed that we're calling him out, so this is the last post I'll do about it.

Btw, I don't hate Pavelec, I actually like him and think he would make a great backup goaltender here. I just don't think he is #1 material and that we're suffering for it. I also do not think it's all his fault, our defense leaves him hanging way too often, but he still needs to be better than he is.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
the loss sucks because the Jets dominated 2/3 of the game, yet gave up at least 3 goals due to brain farts. total brain farts.

also sucks because the Caps are not a good team at this point of the year. they lost to an inferior team in what should have been a must-win game.

and i dig the Pavs hate. Holtby's the GOAT for his play and how he handled the shoot-out, but Pavs just needed to stop one for the win, eh? my complaint about Pavs in the shoot-out? everyone was going upstairs. it was obvious.

Every goalie has a weak point. How many SO goals did the Jets get on Holtby's low blocker?

And as bigplay41 said, the backup QB is always popular, especially in this city. All this Montoya stuff reminds me of fans' reactions with the Bombers QB. Montoya won't win games on his own, which is basically what Pavelec is expected to do here. He had a poor shootout, and fluffed the Ovi breakaway (although it's hard to blame a goalie too much when Ovechkin scores a breakaway goal). That's about it.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Why do we have to be stuck with him? We can't possibly do any worse. And I mean that statistically. Sign Bryzgalov and name a park after him for all I care. If the Jets, their management, and owners are serious about making the playoffs it wont be with 31 in net. We need to do better.

:laugh: Got an honest LOL from me.

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
I don't think Pavs is a horrible goalie. I think he's solid. However, I think that we need to stop treating him like he's a star and that he should be exempt from criticism. For every highlight save he makes, it's like he lets in 2 soft goals.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree about Scheifele - I think he's getting more comfortable out there, and the balance of KSW and LLS looks like it could work. Loved Seto's hit behind the net to pop the puck loose to Ladd for Little's goal.

I'd love to see a Pavs thread posted that I could then ignore. My position: he needs improvement, but he's what we've got. Railing against it in every thread makes it difficult to discuss other salient points.

Edit: speaking of his face offs, he went 12w 9l for 57%, taking face offs against Backstrom and Laich, who are no slouches.

Yea I agree I have my opinion on our goaltending but it does get beaten to death after losses and I was part of that with my post, and although I was expressing my opinion on our overall usage strategy its still a bit of overall.

On that note on to the the positives......I was at the game and had a blast. I hate losing but that was flat out entertaining. I had business partners in from London, Ottawa, Toronto, and Fort McMurray and they were all raving about how much fun they had in the building watching the game. we got a warning from the usher for standing up too much during the game ( mostly on the multiple 2 on 1's) :help: the usher was the sweetest older lady and couldn't have handled it better. No complaints about our smiling and clapping which was nice. Had she not been so sweet I would have been tempted to mention to the battle axe women behind me that getting up out of your seat once in a while can help drop some of the fat off that big a55 but I took the high road. ;)

I thought Pardy played well last night for a bottom pairing guy....Postma looked better as well.

Wheels is skating again and it looks like he might be heading in right direction. Both our top lines were flying but the Caps D was pretty awful so its hard for me to say if we were good or they were bad. though.

Buff is having a really good season so far.....he is a very talented player that was put on the planet to torment me.

Scheif had a good game and is adapting...... Seto had jump.

Oh how I miss the east

Our team really needs a road trip.....they need to get out of town, need to get away from the local press and TV, need to get away from their wives, kids, girlfriends and just hang out together.

our schedule looks tough on paper but who knows?

Oh and great Avy YWGinYYZ

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
IMO, that was probably the best effort of the year. Better than all of the wins.

I really don't agree with the talking heads on the Big Show. I don't think that game was a run and gun, tradeing chances kind of game. Sure, the JETS got a TON of chances in the first two periods. I don't think I've seen more clear cut breakaways and odd man rushes. What did we end with, 4 breakaways and probably 6-10 odd man rushes? What should they do, dump those in?

The caps had 1 breakaway that they scored on. Buff maybe played that one wrong as he was out too wide, but he might have thought the puck was going to rim around and then it got turned over. Of the 4 Caps goals, only that one IMO, can be classified as playing "loose". The first one was mainly because the Jets didn't clear, Bogo bats the puck instead of throwing it into the corner, and it ends up in the net. The second is the breakaway, and the third is the one off the draw. How is the third goal off the draw anything to do with playing a run and gun "Eastern Conference game"? The fourth goal against we had Little seeing some daylight and trying to make a play. The worst you can say is that you don't want your guys to turn the puck over at your own blueline, and especially not on the PK, but do you really want your players playing so tight and "not to lose" that they pass up opportunities right in front of them? Sorry, I'm just not getting this line of thought.

That being said, I can't say anything negative about the effort and intensity last night.

LLS - looked good. Ladd was doing his thing and playing strong on the boards. Little obviously had a good night and potted a couple. Seto made some nice board plays as well and made a nice hit to turnover the puck on the 4th goal.

KSW - Thought these guys had a very good game. Kane is Kane and I don't think his effort is in question. Wheeler looked like he came to play, and even took the puck to the net. Both Kane and Wheeler were using their best asset. Speed. Nice to see the team just flip or dump pucks to the open spots on the ice. Kane and Wheeler are fast, why not use that and get possession back? Scheifele had one of his best games as a Jet. Sure he didn't bury a good chance, but overall his game was strong. Good on the dot, good in the Jets zone, distributed the puck pretty well. He made a good play on the 3rd goal by Wheeler as well.

Joki was ok. He's been better this year and last night he made some nice defensive plays. Don't know why he was complaining so much on his penalty because they'll call that every time.

Frolik had decent hustle, but I didn't notice him too much.

Peluso had a very good game I thought. For his role, I don't know what else you can ask for. Maybe bury one of his chances, but the guy is hitting everything he can on the forecheck, and has been excellent down low cycling the puck. Plus, (and the no fighting people may hate this) even with 0 fights this year, I think there is an effect on the game with Peluso in the lineup.

Wright had a solid game as well I thought. Definitely saved a sure goal by Ovi on the PP, and was good in general on the PK all night.

Didn't see much of Cormier or Halischuk as I think Noel shortened the benches, but they were ok in limited time.

Buff played last night closer to the "Don't trade" Buff. Pretty solid defensively, a few hits, nice breakouts, and over 26 minutes of ice.

Enstrom was pretty good too. Might be playing his best as a Jet this year.

Bogo seems to be snakebitten. I don't think he makes more mistakes than anyone else, and probably less on a per minute basis (he played over 26 minutes last night and was +2), it's just that when he makes a mistake it ends up in our net and everyone sees it. He didn't need to stab at that puck with his glove on the 1st goal against (probably could have grabbed it and thrown it into the corner if he wanted), and got stuck in no mans land on the 4th. But other than that, he was good. Skated the puck out a few times, played good positional defense, and had 5 shots.

Pardy and Postma played around 14 minutes and were even. I thought Pardy was pretty solid, and better than I thought he would be. Postma had less scary moments for me, although it still seems to me that it takes him much too long to make a decision with the puck in our zone.

Not going to touch on Pavs as that has been beaten to death.

Noel - Well, a lot of people question what Noel is doing. What are the systems? Why can't he get the players ready? etc. Well, in a fine bit of "Coaching", he puts Seto with Ladd and Little, Kane with Scheifele and Wheeler, gets Peluso in there to hit and grind, etc. He also publicly (and probably 100 x more) behind the scenes says his players need to play with more intensity and effort. And then his team comes out and plays with probably the most effort and intensity this season, and maybe some of the games in the second half of last season. I'm giving Noel a + for his work during the last few games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad