Post-Game Talk: Caps win 5-4 in SO

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
That was such an entertaining game to watch. So nice to see real effort by most of the team. KSW line was great and will generate lots of offense if allowed to continue imo.

Loved the hard work by Scheif to set up the play for the Wheeler goal.

Little is amazing. Period.

Peluso is beginning to be who many thought he could be. He has legitimate skating and puck handling skills. To bad the Olli pass was tipped slightly on him.

If the Jets can continue this work ethic, I will be a happy fan, win or lose (hopefully win though!).

The most room for improvement in last nights game for me, was the lack of urgency by our D when retrieving the puck in our own end. Most of our opponents in the West now, will arrive at the puck at the same time our D does. Gone are the days a decade or two ago, where your opponent simply gave you time to set up in your own end.

Other than that, great game to watch and very little yelling at the TV for me! :)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
What he can provide though is solid "ish" back up play and to me that means more rest for Pavs. Drea had a tough night and is getting killed on this thread and that happens when you blow a game for your team. My major issues with our goaltending are twofold #1 my BIGGEST disappointment with the off season was that we didn't bring in a 1b to challenge Pavs so we could play a platoon system like Chicago did last year or St Louis the year before and #2 USEAGE!!!!! We have a competent back up and I believe we should be using him at least every 4th game this year and definitely in all B2B situations. the primary reason for this is I think Pavs would do much better if he played less. despite what he says "I want to play every game" THAT IS NOT SETTING HIM UP FOR SUCCESS. Say what you will about our much maligned goalie but one thing is certain in my eyes.....since he has arrived in Winnipeg the coach has rode him into the ground each season and we are picking up where we left off last year.

I believe there isn't allot of difference between Pavs and Monty......neither one of them are quality NHL starting goalies so lets try increasing Monty's usage a bit to find out how the team and Pavs react. what if Pavs starts playing better with more rest between games?

Good points, even the Leafs will be splitting goaltending between Bernier and Reimer, it's something a few teams do, especially when you don!t have an established number 1, with Pavs record and stats how was he anointed number 1 goalie status other than thru a bloated contract? Sorry guys but this ones on Chevy

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
A caller on 1290 just brought up something that has bugged me all season long. The Jets collapse into a box way too easily and let other teams set up on the points. We get trapped in our end, and we don't put enough pressure on the other team in 5v5 situations. There's so many times during the average Jets game where I watch teams pass the puck around in our zone and I'm wondering WHY ISN'T ANYONE PRESSURING THEM!!!??? Force them to make a pass quicker than they want, and then force the next guy to do the same and soon the puck is yours. Don't stand there and hope they bounce the pass (or shot) off you so you can pick it up...

at times, it looks like they are trying to do that though. The problem is they don't keep at it. One guy will approach the opposing player with the puck and force him to do something, and then the next player will sit back and watch. It has to be a series of forces to get them to cough it up...

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
At the risk of getting an infraction I have to answer this post with utter honesty and hope people take it at face value and nothing more.

This post is a head in the sand argument that is simply ignoring the data. You're creating a strawman. The fact is that Pavs wasn't facing nearly 50 shots, Holtby did. This isn't some giant personal vendetta people have against him to the point where were saying ridiculous things to discredit pavelec. He just isn't good enough. He's a backup goaltender that Chevy rolled the dice on and we came up snakeeyes.

What I am saying is if the games goals and chances had been reversed you would have *****ed and moaned about the goals that Holtby let in.

Little's first goal would have been "omfg Pavs has no rebound control. It's like he passed it is Little"
Clitsome's goal, "Pavs had a clear look at the shot and still couldn't save it. He sucks."
Wheeler's goal you may not have *****ed about.
Little's second goal, "no screening. Clear look, a good goaltender would have stopped that"

We noticed all the great saves that Holtby made because they were great saves made against great players in a game his team was being dramatically outplayed.
When Pavalec has done the same thing earlier in the season you seem to ignore the saves Pavalec makes but jump down his throat when one finally goes in.

Yes the Jets outchanced the Caps by a large margin last night. However the two goals by Ovi and the fourth goal where the Jets allowed the Caps to have a slumber party in his crease would not have been stopped by anyone.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The most room for improvement in last nights game for me, was the lack of urgency by our D when retrieving the puck in our own end. Most of our opponents in the West now, will arrive at the puck at the same time our D does. Gone are the days a decade or two ago, where your opponent simply gave you time to set up in your own end.

I agree 100%. I've noticed this for a while. Our D needs to be quicker to the puck, quicker making their reads, and quicker making the play. Postma IMO, is the slowest at making a decision, but they all need to be quicker. Surprisingly, I thought 19 year old Trouba was the best at this.

A caller on 1290 just brought up something that has bugged me all season long. The Jets collapse into a box way too easily and let other teams set up on the points. We get trapped in our end, and we don't put enough pressure on the other team in 5v5 situations. There's so many times during the average Jets game where I watch teams pass the puck around in our zone and I'm wondering WHY ISN'T ANYONE PRESSURING THEM!!!??? Force them to make a pass quicker than they want, and then force the next guy to do the same and soon the puck is yours. Don't stand there and hope they bounce the pass (or shot) off you so you can pick it up...

at times, it looks like they are trying to do that though. The problem is they don't keep at it. One guy will approach the opposing player with the puck and force him to do something, and then the next player will sit back and watch. It has to be a series of forces to get them to cough it up...

Agreed. Watching other games, it doesn't seem like other teams get hemmed in their zone 5 on 5 like the Jets do with as little pressure as the Jets put on the other teams puck carrier. Seems like a carry over from season one, where GST would play every 5 on 5 shift like a PK.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
What I am saying is if the games goals and chances had been reversed you would have *****ed and moaned about the goals that Holtby let in.

Little's first goal would have been "omfg Pavs has no rebound control. It's like he passed it is Little"
Clitsome's goal, "Pavs had a clear look at the shot and still couldn't save it. He sucks."
Little's second goal, "no screening. Clear look, a good goaltender would have stopped that"

We noticed all the great saves that Holtby made because they were great saves made against great players in a game his team was being dramatically outplayed.
When Pavalec has done the same thing earlier in the season you seem to ignore the saves Pavalec makes but jump down his throat when one finally goes in.

Yes the Jets outchanced the Caps by a large margin last night. However the two goals by Ovi and the fourth goal where the Jets allowed the Caps to have a slumber party in his crease would not have been stopped by anyone.

Post of the thread right here :handclap:

White Out 403*

Again, another fallacious strawman argument. Holty faced the great chances, #31 faced less. Period. You can keep throwing out your back building that strawman but it isn't going to win you the debate.

You again provide another fallacious argument by saying that, and I'm paraphrashing "and then when ONCE IN A WHILE when pavalec lets a goal in you flip out and you ignore the nice saves". A serious person can only roll their eyes at such assertions. First off, this argument you make is built on a flimsy premise: you`re suggesting that pavs making saves is the default, expected result. His save % this year is not only the worst for all starting goaltenders, he's 40th on the list so a lot of backups are out playing him. The expected result -the norm- is that he allows an alarming number of pucks to get by him compared to how many he can save. This is supported by years of stats. Second... this argument then suggests that I ignore his good saves. Suggesting I have a personal vendetta. This is simply false; he's the starting goaltender for my favourite team. I want him to do well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
IMO, that was probably the best effort of the year. Better than all of the wins.

I really don't agree with the talking heads on the Big Show. I don't think that game was a run and gun, tradeing chances kind of game. Sure, the JETS got a TON of chances in the first two periods. I don't think I've seen more clear cut breakaways and odd man rushes. What did we end with, 4 breakaways and probably 6-10 odd man rushes? What should they do, dump those in?

The caps had 1 breakaway that they scored on. Buff maybe played that one wrong as he was out too wide, but he might have thought the puck was going to rim around and then it got turned over. Of the 4 Caps goals, only that one IMO, can be classified as playing "loose". The first one was mainly because the Jets didn't clear, Bogo bats the puck instead of throwing it into the corner, and it ends up in the net. The second is the breakaway, and the third is the one off the draw. How is the third goal off the draw anything to do with playing a run and gun "Eastern Conference game"? The fourth goal against we had Little seeing some daylight and trying to make a play. The worst you can say is that you don't want your guys to turn the puck over at your own blueline, and especially not on the PK, but do you really want your players playing so tight and "not to lose" that they pass up opportunities right in front of them? Sorry, I'm just not getting this line of thought.

That being said, I can't say anything negative about the effort and intensity last night.

LLS - looked good. Ladd was doing his thing and playing strong on the boards. Little obviously had a good night and potted a couple. Seto made some nice board plays as well and made a nice hit to turnover the puck on the 4th goal.

KSW - Thought these guys had a very good game. Kane is Kane and I don't think his effort is in question. Wheeler looked like he came to play, and even took the puck to the net. Both Kane and Wheeler were using their best asset. Speed. Nice to see the team just flip or dump pucks to the open spots on the ice. Kane and Wheeler are fast, why not use that and get possession back? Scheifele had one of his best games as a Jet. Sure he didn't bury a good chance, but overall his game was strong. Good on the dot, good in the Jets zone, distributed the puck pretty well. He made a good play on the 3rd goal by Wheeler as well.

Joki was ok. He's been better this year and last night he made some nice defensive plays. Don't know why he was complaining so much on his penalty because they'll call that every time.

Frolik had decent hustle, but I didn't notice him too much.

Peluso had a very good game I thought. For his role, I don't know what else you can ask for. Maybe bury one of his chances, but the guy is hitting everything he can on the forecheck, and has been excellent down low cycling the puck. Plus, (and the no fighting people may hate this) even with 0 fights this year, I think there is an effect on the game with Peluso in the lineup.

Wright had a solid game as well I thought. Definitely saved a sure goal by Ovi on the PP, and was good in general on the PK all night.

Didn't see much of Cormier or Halischuk as I think Noel shortened the benches, but they were ok in limited time.

Buff played last night closer to the "Don't trade" Buff. Pretty solid defensively, a few hits, nice breakouts, and over 26 minutes of ice.

Enstrom was pretty good too. Might be playing his best as a Jet this year.

Bogo seems to be snakebitten. I don't think he makes more mistakes than anyone else, and probably less on a per minute basis (he played over 26 minutes last night and was +2), it's just that when he makes a mistake it ends up in our net and everyone sees it. He didn't need to stab at that puck with his glove on the 1st goal against (probably could have grabbed it and thrown it into the corner if he wanted), and got stuck in no mans land on the 4th. But other than that, he was good. Skated the puck out a few times, played good positional defense, and had 5 shots.

Pardy and Postma played around 14 minutes and were even. I thought Pardy was pretty solid, and better than I thought he would be. Postma had less scary moments for me, although it still seems to me that it takes him much too long to make a decision with the puck in our zone.

Not going to touch on Pavs as that has been beaten to death.

Noel - Well, a lot of people question what Noel is doing. What are the systems? Why can't he get the players ready? etc. Well, in a fine bit of "Coaching", he puts Seto with Ladd and Little, Kane with Scheifele and Wheeler, gets Peluso in there to hit and grind, etc. He also publicly (and probably 100 x more) behind the scenes says his players need to play with more intensity and effort. And then his team comes out and plays with probably the most effort and intensity this season, and maybe some of the games in the second half of last season. I'm giving Noel a + for his work during the last few games.

Good post, just thought I'd touch on some of your points:

I feel that Bogosian is being unfairly picked on for the fourth goal (not that your picking on him). He tied up his man taking away the easy cross crease tap in option. I'm not really sure what he could or should have done differently. IMO it was Little who blew his assignment on that one.

As for Noel, it was good that he found some combos that work but I'm going to refrain from patting him on the back for this teams improved effort and play until I see it sustained over a number of games.

I will say this in his favor, he has done an excellent job handling the rookies thus far. While Scheifele's offense is only now starting to show we have seen tremendous growth in his defensive/transition game to go along with improvements in face offs and I think that is a teatimate of Noels job to teach him. He has also done a good job of putting both Scheifele and Trouba in prominant roles when they were ready for them. You would have not heard me say this last year!

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

I feel that Bogosian is being unfairly picked on for the fourth goal (not that your picking on him). He tied up his man taking away the easy cross crease tap in option. I'm not really sure what he could or should have done differently. IMO it was Little who blew his assignment on that one.

As for Noel, it was good that he found some combos that work but I'm going to refrain from patting him on the back for this teams improved effort and play until I see it sustained over a number of games.

I will say this in his favor, he has done an excellent job handling the rookies thus far. While Scheifele's offense is only now starting to show we have seen tremendous growth in his defensive/transition game to go along with improvements in face offs and I think that is a teatimate of Noels job to teach him. He has also done a good job of putting both Scheifele and Trouba in prominant roles when they were ready for them. You would have not heard me say this last year!

If Schiefele keeps up this offense going forward I will definitly have to agree and hand it to Noel. He looks much better defensively and had a good night in the dot (but that's not predictive of future performance).

It remind me of a quote from Noel at the start of the year, something along the lines of "At the start of the season its not necessarily about making sure he's a top 6 guy out the gate, but making sure that maybe 30-40 games into the season he can play that role fore you" ...and i doubted him...but this could be the start of a trend in that direction.

then again, one game is never a trend.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I thought the Jets for the most part had a good game last night and didn't get rewarded for the win

They do have to limit the big mistakes that are causing goals.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

You're probably right on the Bogo play on the 4th goal. I would have to watch it again. Which kind of reinforces my point in a strange way. He's on for the 4th goal against, and he's part of a play that "looks" bad, so the perception from some this year is that he's playing worse than he is? I definitely think some people are forgetting just how good he was last year. He came back from a long injury and played rock solid out of the gate. I still think he has a nagging injury of some sort.

Good point about Noel. I don't want to give him all the credit either. I just thought that it seems like he gets criticized for the moves he doesn't make, and then criticized for the moves he does make sometimes. So here is an example where he made some moves, said some things behind closed doors and in-front of the mic, and there were some positive results. So I think he should get a little credit considering the circumstances.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
I agree with you Huff. Give Noel his credit. I for one am not in his camp -still -but I liked what I saw from the offense last night. Let's hope that level of compete becomes the norm.
As for Bogosian- I have never seen a player have so much "tough" puck luck. I think he just needs to stop trying to do too much, get a bit more physical and his game will come back.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
You're probably right on the Bogo play on the 4th goal. I would have to watch it again. Which kind of reinforces my point in a strange way. He's on for the 4th goal against, and he's part of a play that "looks" bad, so the perception from some this year is that he's playing worse than he is? I definitely think some people are forgetting just how good he was last year. He came back from a long injury and played rock solid out of the gate. I still think he has a nagging injury of some sort.

Good point about Noel. I don't want to give him all the credit either. I just thought that it seems like he gets criticized for the moves he doesn't make, and then criticized for the moves he does make sometimes. So here is an example where he made some moves, said some things behind closed doors and in-front of the mic, and there were some positive results. So I think he should get a little credit considering the circumstances.

I'll probably get flamed for this here, but I don't see the Bogo that everyone loves. I think he's got speed that he doesn't use very often and gets in bad spots positionally. I agree he may have some sort of injury, because he's getting beaten to the puck by opposing forecheckers and isn't as physical as he should be for a young guy with his strength. Don't get me wrong, because I think he's ok as a top 4, but I still see a guy that hasn't played up to his potential..... yet. I don't see the passion in him that everyone else sees.

Now go ahead, I can take it..... :help:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I agree with you Huff. Give Noel his credit. I for one am not in his camp -still -but I liked what I saw from the offense last night. Let's hope that level of compete becomes the norm.
As for Bogosian- I have never seen a player have so much "tough" puck luck. I think he just needs to stop trying to do too much, get a bit more physical and his game will come back.

I feel that the offense was allowed to play offense last night for whatever reason. They were forechecking and driving up the ice, as opposed to dumping the puck in and playing defense at the red line. It was very entertaining to watch.:handclap:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Bogo's game has come a long way in the last couple games.
He's certainly had bad luck, but overall I'm pleased with the way his game is progressing.
I feel confident in saying he's not 100% right now, but as he gets healthier his play has improved.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
I feel that the offense was allowed to play offense last night for whatever reason. They were forechecking and driving up the ice, as opposed to dumping the puck in and playing defense at the red line. It was very entertaining to watch.:handclap:

I hear you- that fire the puck through the neutral zone and chip in was my biggest beef with our offense this year. I think the Caps and their open style helped but lets hope that this gives the team some confidence.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I'll probably get flamed for this here, but I don't see the Bogo that everyone loves. I think he's got speed that he doesn't use very often and gets in bad spots positionally. I agree he may have some sort of injury, because he's getting beaten to the puck by opposing forecheckers and isn't as physical as he should be for a young guy with his strength. Don't get me wrong, because I think he's ok as a top 4, but I still see a guy that hasn't played up to his potential..... yet. I don't see the passion in him that everyone else sees.

I agree that he's far from perfect, but I still think he's a pretty big asset out there. Offensively, his shots miss the net too often. A couple of them last night careened all the way around the boards and started the Caps on dangerous rushes. I think it even happened in overtime, when it's 4x4 and can be fatal to do that ... you could see him setting up to boom a shot from the point and it was so obvious what would happen. Luckily the Caps didn't end up getting a chance, but still.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

I agree, as I brought up earlier in this thread he may still have a lingering injury or he never recovered, his point shots this year are weak, doesn't seem to be able to take a slap shot any more, mostly wrist shots from the point that never are anywhere near the net.

Bogo played his best hockey as a Winnipeg Jet in the 11-12 season, there hasn't been much advancement in his game since.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It was certainly another fun game to be at. But I'm sure the fans at the Minnesota/Nashville 2-0 game had just as much fun last night. Those two teams combined had 3 less shots than the Jets alone, so...exciting! One of the 2 goals was an EN, and I think I speak for everyone when I say those are awesome to behold.

I'm not going to pile on Pavs too much here...it's all been said and then some. But if Montoya doesn't start 1 out of every 5 games, he won't even get 16 starts. Last night, at home vs. a struggling Caps team would've been a good time to play him. Just scheduling-wise, where's his next window? The 2nd half of the back-to-back in Colorado on Sunday? He's gotta play in one of the next 3 games (hopefully one of the b2b) or I'm going to be leading the charge for Noel's head (figuratively, I mean - just in case Darrin Bauming is reading this).

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I don't think you're saying anything outlandish here. Bogo hasn't looked great this year IMO either, and it goes right back to the pre season. I "think" he may be nursing something (which I've thought and posted for a while, sorry Sip), but maybe he's just struggling too. I just don't think he has been as bad as some people want to make it seem, and my guess is because his errors have been so obvious and costly.

I just think if people are sour on him for this first 9 games, they're really forgetting how he's played overall as a Jet. When he came back into the lineup last season it was like a breath of fresh air. If I remember correctly he played a ton of minutes right out of the gate.

He probably hasn't lived up to his potential yet, and maybe won't, but I think he's been pretty solid for us as a #3. I still think there is more there as well. (of course the flipside is that potential is just another word for haven't done it yet...)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I don't think you're saying anything outlandish here. Bogo hasn't looked great this year IMO either, and it goes right back to the pre season. I "think" he may be nursing something (which I've thought and posted for a while, sorry Sip), but maybe he's just struggling too. I just don't think he has been as bad as some people want to make it seem, and my guess is because his errors have been so obvious and costly.

I just think if people are sour on him for this first 9 games, they're really forgetting how he's played overall as a Jet. When he came back into the lineup last season it was like a breath of fresh air. If I remember correctly he played a ton of minutes right out of the gate.

He probably hasn't lived up to his potential yet, and maybe won't, but I think he's been pretty solid for us as a #3. I still think there is more there as well. (of course the flipside is that potential is just another word for haven't done it yet...)

Bogo has proven himself a top 4 D man, guess a lot of people were expecting him to become a Norris Trophy candidate which he probably won't ever be.

A top 4 D man is still pretty damn good and he should have a long, solid career.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Bogo has proven himself a top 4 D man, guess a lot of people were expecting him to become a Norris Trophy candidate which he probably won't ever be.

A top 4 D man is still pretty damn good and he should have a long, solid career.

Sounds good to me.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I agree with you on this, in that he's fine for our top 4 D. What I am responding to are the posts about how he's a beast and a franchise player and such, I'm just not seeing it this year. I want to clarify that I'm not basing my opinion on his mistakes, because those are just that... mistakes.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Again, another fallacious strawman argument. Holty faced the great chances, #31 faced less. Period. You can keep throwing out your back building that strawman but it isn't going to win you the debate.

You again provide another fallacious argument by saying that, and I'm paraphrashing "and then when ONCE IN A WHILE when pavalec lets a goal in you flip out and you ignore the nice saves". A serious person can only roll their eyes at such assertions. First off, this argument you make is built on a flimsy premise: you`re suggesting that pavs making saves is the default, expected result. His save % this year is not only the worst for all starting goaltenders, he's 40th on the list so a lot of backups are out playing him. The expected result -the norm- is that he allows an alarming number of pucks to get by him compared to how many he can save. This is supported by years of stats. Second... this argument then suggests that I ignore his good saves. Suggesting I have a personal vendetta. This is simply false; he's the starting goaltender for my favourite team. I want him to do well.

Rewrite your standard "Pavalec sucks" and you are wrong post in different words yet again.

The truth is that last night the goals that Holtby allowed were far weaker than the ones Pavalec let in. I don't care how many scoring chances the Jets had I am looking at the goals he let in. Afaik scoring chances do not have to be a shot that the goaltender saves and a lot of the chances were misses by the Jets, not saves by Holtby.

For example, Clitsome's goal from the point. A few games ago you *****ed and moaned that Pavalec let in a one timer point shot from PK Subban who happens to have one of the best one timers in the league. Holtby let in a unscreened point shot from Clitlsome who's shot hardly puts the fear of god into goalies.

I know that Pavalec wasn't spectacular last game.
I also know that Bogo has now directly been responsible for costing the Kets points in three games already this season but he gets a pass.... again.... Because he is Bogo

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay

I would give Noel zero credit for that offence. AFAIC, the players said "F this noise" and played the dynamic game the team was built to play. We are not a team of Bergerons, Charas, and Lidstroms, we are a team of Byfugliens, Kanes and Wheelers. We were built with speed and skill, not finesse. Noel tries to jam his tight system down the throats of the players b/c that's the game he played many moons ago, and that's what won him AHL championships. I'm pretty sure in the meeting the players drowned out the coaching staff and took it upon themselves to win the game. And they came darn close if not for one player.

Kane, who missed in the shootout :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad