Post-Game Talk: Caps win 5-4 in SO

White Out 403*

Rewrite your standard "Pavalec sucks" and you are wrong post in different words yet again.

The truth is that last night the goals that Holtby allowed were far weaker than the ones Pavalec let in. I don't care how many scoring chances the Jets had I am looking at the goals he let in. Afaik scoring chances do not have to be a shot that the goaltender saves and a lot of the chances were misses by the Jets, not saves by Holtby.
For example, Clitsome's goal from the point. A few games ago you *****ed and moaned that Pavalec let in a one timer point shot from PK Subban who happens to have one of the best one timers in the league. Holtby let in a unscreened point shot from Clitlsome who's shot hardly puts the fear of god into goalies.

I know that Pavalec wasn't spectacular last game.
I also know that Bogo has now directly been responsible for costing the Kets points in three games already this season but he gets a pass.... again.... Because he is Bogo

Ok then. we can agree on this at least

"I know that Pavalec wasn't spectacular last game."

It's a start.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What I am saying is if the games goals and chances had been reversed you would have *****ed and moaned about the goals that Holtby let in.

Little's first goal would have been "omfg Pavs has no rebound control. It's like he passed it is Little"
Clitsome's goal, "Pavs had a clear look at the shot and still couldn't save it. He sucks."
Wheeler's goal you may not have *****ed about.
Little's second goal, "no screening. Clear look, a good goaltender would have stopped that"

We noticed all the great saves that Holtby made because they were great saves made against great players in a game his team was being dramatically outplayed.
When Pavalec has done the same thing earlier in the season you seem to ignore the saves Pavalec makes but jump down his throat when one finally goes in.

Yes the Jets outchanced the Caps by a large margin last night. However the two goals by Ovi and the fourth goal where the Jets allowed the Caps to have a slumber party in his crease would not have been stopped by anyone.

I promised myself I wouldn't jump back into this circular argument but this isn't true. When Pav was playing well at the beginning of the year, lots of his detractors gave him props and were hoping that he could sustain it.

People might be annoyed with all of the Pavelec talk but where there is smoke, there is fire.

Also as a huge Bogosian fan I will admit he's had a less than Bogocop start to this season, but he is still young in defenseman years. The season is still early too, I expect we will see a lot more from him before the season is done.

Last edited:

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I guess it's going to be Schiefele that wins the Calder trophy now that Trouba is out for a few weeks with his injury.

Sucks that Trouba had to lose it to an injury.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
I guess it's going to be Schiefele that wins the Calder trophy now that Trouba is out for a few weeks with his injury.

Sucks that Trouba had to lose it to an injury.

Its an 82 game season. If Trouba is back in three weeks time and continues on the pace he had been on-do you honestly think he wont be considered for the calder? If you ask me, he was the front runner, and far out ahead at that.

I know there's Hertl/Mckinnon but Troubs is a dman.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Its an 82 game season. If Trouba is back in three weeks time and continues on the pace he had been on-do you honestly think he wont be considered for the calder? If you ask me, he was the front runner, and far out ahead at that.

I know there's Hertl/Mckinnon but Troubs is a dman.

No chance for Trouba now. He was not at all the front runner, Mackinnon and Hertl are both doing good and Jones was probably ahead of him for D. He'll miss too much time and won't put up enough points to be considered.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
The most room for improvement in last nights game for me, was the lack of urgency by our D when retrieving the puck in our own end. Most of our opponents in the West now, will arrive at the puck at the same time our D does. Gone are the days a decade or two ago, where your opponent simply gave you time to set up in your own end.
I agree 100%. I've noticed this for a while. Our D needs to be quicker to the puck, quicker making their reads, and quicker making the play. Postma IMO, is the slowest at making a decision, but they all need to be quicker. Surprisingly, I thought 19 year old Trouba was the best at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
A caller on 1290 just brought up something that has bugged me all season long. The Jets collapse into a box way too easily and let other teams set up on the points. We get trapped in our end, and we don't put enough pressure on the other team in 5v5 situations. There's so many times during the average Jets game where I watch teams pass the puck around in our zone and I'm wondering WHY ISN'T ANYONE PRESSURING THEM!!!??? Force them to make a pass quicker than they want, and then force the next guy to do the same and soon the puck is yours. Don't stand there and hope they bounce the pass (or shot) off you so you can pick it up...at times, it looks like they are trying to do that though. The problem is they don't keep at it. One guy will approach the opposing player with the puck and force him to do something, and then the next player will sit back and watch. It has to be a series of forces to get them to cough it up...
Agreed. Watching other games, it doesn't seem like other teams get hemmed in their zone 5 on 5 like the Jets do with as little pressure as the Jets put on the other teams puck carrier. Seems like a carry over from season one, where GST would play every 5 on 5 shift like a PK.

I agree 100%. I've noticed this for a while. Our D needs to be quicker to the puck, quicker making their reads, and quicker making the play. Postma IMO, is the slowest at making a decision, but they all need to be quicker. Surprisingly, I thought 19 year old Trouba was the best at this.

Agreed. Watching other games, it doesn't seem like other teams get hemmed in their zone 5 on 5 like the Jets do with as little pressure as the Jets put on the other teams puck carrier. Seems like a carry over from season one, where GST would play every 5 on 5 shift like a PK.

I'm not sure about this - The Jets hemmed the Caps in their own end far worse than the Caps did to the Jets. The Jets looked to be on an extended PP for most of the 2nd period; the Caps scored just as many goals in the 2nd, but one right off a FO and Ovi's breakaway, otherwise Washington didn't spend nearly as much time pinning the Jets as the Jet did hemming in the Caps. And even when Washington got some sustained time in the Jets end, the Jets made them spend most of their time along the boards or behind the icing line.

While the Jets D still needs improvement, last nights effort, against a supposedly much superior offensive team, was the team's best defensive effort this season. However, let's see what they do against much bigger and heavier teams on the road. Pressing the game to the Caps isn't exactly the same as pushing back against the Preds or Kings. We'll see how good the entire team's commitment to 200 feet of responsibility is the next four games.

Edited to add:

To those surprised by Kane missing in the shoot out, and Olli scoring for the second game in a row, I posit this: During actual game play, the players have to move fast and react by instinct, for which they've spent years practising and creating tons of muscle memory. During the shoot-out, the players have many seconds of an uninterrupted breakaway to think out what they're going to do. Which scenario suits Kane the best, and in which scenario will Olli thrive?

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Wondering if Cormier was injured? Saw he only played a couple minutes. De he play after his fight?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->