Post-Game Talk: Caps win 5-4 in SO

JustBeCool

boom shakalaka
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
Exactly. That Clitsome goal was a brutal shot.
However, I'm a Pavs supporter and from the highlights I saw, he looked pretty bad today. The one goal where he steered it away and it hit bogo was bad luck, but rest were pretty bad.

The thing is, Holtby could have let in more if he was playing like Pav. The number of quality scoring chances that the Jets had was unreal. He kept the caps in it and beat out pav in the shootout.

White Out 403*

Usually don't agree with you, but I agree 100%. NJ is one of the worst offensive teams int he league. Montoya was out of position numerous times and didn't know where the puck was numerous times. He could have easily let in 4 goals that game.
Jets fans are painful.

Pavelec is now ranked 40th in the league for save %, and is, again, statistically the worst starting goaltender in the league. Can you explain to me why you think he will get better? Without using feelings or gut instincts or w/e... could you explain to me what he has shown in the last 4 years including this one that he can be a legitimate starter? Why cant we start Monty ? How much worse can it get than worst in the league?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Usually don't agree with you, but I agree 100%. NJ is one of the worst offensive teams int he league. Montoya was out of position numerous times and didn't know where the puck was numerous times. He could have easily let in 4 goals that game.
Jets fans are painful.

I don't have a huge amount of confidence in Montoya, and I'll bet that most Jets fans aren't all that sure about him. The fact that so many fans are wanting to see him instead of Pavs tells a story about Pavs play. He has had a couple of good games, but he gets out-played by the opposing goalie too often. That's not just this year, either.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach-Noel-October-22-2013-post-game-300x187.jpg

Coach Noel's always entertaining post-game.

To listen click here.

Postgame-podcast-Jets-vs.-Capitaks-300x200.jpg

Host Michael Remis and Analyst Richard Pollock break down the Jets play against the Capitals.

To listen click here.

Last edited:

bazaaa*

Pavelec is now ranked 40th in the league for save %, and is, again, statistically the worst starting goaltender in the league. Can you explain to me why you think he will get better? Without using feelings or gut instincts or w/e... could you explain to me what he has shown in the last 4 years including this one that he can be a legitimate starter? Why cant we start Monty ? How much worse can it get than worst in the league?

Because 1) save % is useless because 2) we have one of the worst defences in the league. I'm not saying Pavs is a top goalie, but I think he's good enough to be competitive. I think our defence for the most part is terrible. Buff never ties up guys in front of the net, ever, just sits there. Did you see in OT, WASH was behind the net, Buff sat at the side of the net, and someone was wide open in front of the net. If he got the puck, it was game over.

White Out 403*

We should trade for Reimer. A second + prospect should do it. And it would get us a local boy starter for the next ten years.

I would give the Leafs almost anything they wanted in reason for Reimer. I don't care who. He would be brilliant.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Because 1) save % is useless because 2) we have one of the worst defences in the league. I'm not saying Pavs is a top goalie, but I think he's good enough to be competitive. I think our defence for the most part is terrible. Buff never ties up guys in front of the net, ever, just sits there. Did you see in OT, WASH was behind the net, Buff sat at the side of the net, and someone was wide open in front of the net. If he got the puck, it was game over.

I don't even...:shakehead

White Out 403*

So all the statistical analysis posted here that completely and 100% debunks what you just wrote over a large sample of games, you are choosing to believe that this is the fault of the defence and not Pavelec? okay then. Sounds good!

bazaaa*

I don't have a huge amount of confidence in Montoya, and I'll bet that most Jets fans aren't all that sure about him. The fact that so many fans are wanting to see him instead of Pavs tells a story about Pavs play. He has had a couple of good games, but he gets out-played by the opposing goalie too often. That's not just this year, either.

That's fair, but too many people were acting like Montoya is all the sudden a star after his NJ game. There's a reason he's been a life long backup, and never given the chance to start anywhere. He's not some secret gem about to explode into the league.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
He was below 900 save%, and stopped almost 7 in 10 scoring chances, and the opposing goaltender made more saves and more difficult saves. If this is "average" or "so-so" could you describe to me, in your world, what a poor game looks like? So not even a bad or terrible game. Just a poor or mediocre game. I am genuinely fascinated to hear this.

A poor game would involve letting in a genuinely bad goal while not making numerous good saves. It would be the sort of goal that the goalie would get "pulled" from. I doubt that it occurred to anyone that Pavs should have been pulled after any of those goals -- should he have been pulled for giving up a goal to Ovechkin on a breakaway or for not saving Ovechkin's brilliant seeing-eye shot for his second goal, which would have been hard for any goalie even to have seen coming? Or for giving up one power play goal on the night to the best power play the NHL has seen in years? While I agree that Holtby was better, I don't see what his play has to do with Pavelec's play.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
The whole game was positive. That was a Winnipeg Jets home game. Pavs lost it for us in the shootout, and his choice on Ovy's breakaway goal. Awesome and entertaining game, though.

boanst

May 25, 2013
People are really blowing Montoya's one game way out of proportion. I mean, NJ has ONE win this year.

It would be more than fair to disregard the one guy who said maybe Montoya could grab the no. 1 job, and I think that was the game we gave up the fewest shots and chances. But the record shows that Montoya has yet to let in a goal this reg season. Has Pavs gone a game where he gives up less than 3? One maybe? I think Montoya deserves to be on a pace higher than 8 starts for the year. I much more strongly think Pavs should not be on a pace of higher than 70 starts. I can think of 2 guys who deserve that pace, and Pavs isn't one of them.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

That's the thing. Pavs numbers are again so bad that if we considered there was a legitimate excuse (ex team play) it would have to be monumental to justify.

He wasn't so so. He was ****. Pure unadulterated 100% ****.

At this point I want one of threeo things. A) Monty to start and amaze us. B) paav to suddenly be who his supporters think he is. Or c) pave to be so bad no one can support him with a strait face

bazaaa*

I don't even...:shakehead

If you think there's value in save %, I can't help you. I'm sorry.

So all the statistical analysis posted here that completely and 100% debunks what you just wrote over a large sample of games, you are choosing to believe that this is the fault of the defence and not Pavelec? okay then. Sounds good!

I said he's not the best, but he is better than what his numbers show. But our defence is terrible. That's all I'm saying.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
As expected, the broken record brigade are in full effect.

Overall I thought the Jets played very well for a complete 60 minutes. It's unfortunate Pavs couldn't shut the door at the end of the shootout, but even though they lost, I feel better about the team than I did before the game.

Looks like some folks will just have to cuddle their teddy bear and cry themselves to sleep tonight.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011

It's the best thing to measure a goaltender by. The Oilers have terrible team defense too, explain then why typically Dubnyk has a much better save percentage than Pavelec does over his career? Last year Dubnyk's save percentage was .921, Pavelec's was .901.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario

Overall I thought the Jets played very well for a complete 60 minutes. It's unfortunate Pavs couldn't shut the door at the end of the shootout, but even though they lost, I feel better about the team than I did before the game.

Looks like some folks will just have to cuddle their teddy bear and cry themselves to sleep tonight.

It's hard to say what this means for the future but it sure looked great to see the offence going again. On the other hand, I don't know when we'll come up against another team that allows us about 20 breakaways and 2-on-1's including several on each of their power plays. Washington's defence seemed a little ... off.

Donald

Jan 31, 2013

Actually I think this was the kind of game the broken record brigade lives for. Deep down they are happier than the Caps fans about how the Jets lost.

bazaaa*

It's the best thing to measure a goaltender by. The Oilers have terrible team defense too, explain then why typically Dubnyk has a much better save percentage than Pavelec does over his career? Last year Dubnyk's save percentage was .921, Pavelec's was .901.

Is that why with a .922 save percentage last year, Emery signed a one year deal for $1.65M, to be a backup in Philly? Because save percentage holds a lot of value?

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
It's hard to say what this means for the future but it sure looked great to see the offence going again. On the other hand, I don't know when we'll come up against another team that allows us about 20 breakaways and 2-on-1's including several on each of their power plays. Washington's defence seemed a little ... off.

People don't realize how bad Washington's defense is. Its bad. This was a wideopen game and you wouldn't get those kind of chances to most teams in the west. But you would still give up 4 goals against playing like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->