Post-Game Talk: Caps win 5-4 in SO

White Out 403*

Is that why with a .922 save percentage last year, Emery signed a one year deal for $1.65M, to be a backup in Philly? Because save percentage holds a lot of value?

Small sample size but, I applaud the effort. I'm talking about 4 seasons here.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
Is that why with a .922 save percentage last year, Emery signed a one year deal for $1.65M, to be a backup in Philly? Because save percentage holds a lot of value?

Ray Emery is over 30 years old and had an almost career ending injury a while back, no one is going to sign him to be the goalie of the future also Sample Size, he only played in 21 games that year.

Pavelec has always played a lot of games and his save percentage is consistently below league average, yes this team doesn't play the best team defense, but there are other goaltenders out there who play on teams with bad defense and manage much better save percentage than Ondrej Pavelec.

bazaaa*

Ray Emery is over 30 years old and had an almost career ending injury a while back, no one is going to sign him to be the goalie of the future also Sample Size, he only played in 21 games that year.

Pavelec has always played a lot of games and his save percentage is consistently below league average, yes this team doesn't play the best team defense, but there are other goaltenders out there who play on teams with bad defense and manage much better save percentage than Ondrej Pavelec.

21 games and one of the best save % in the league you'd think would give you a little more than a backup in Philly.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Because 1) save % is useless because 2) we have one of the worst defences in the league. I'm not saying Pavs is a top goalie, but I think he's good enough to be competitive. I think our defence for the most part is terrible. Buff never ties up guys in front of the net, ever, just sits there. Did you see in OT, WASH was behind the net, Buff sat at the side of the net, and someone was wide open in front of the net. If he got the puck, it was game over.

Sv% isn't useless at all.

It is very sustainable and repeatable once you get large enough enough sample sizes.

This is pretty general idea of talent order http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=ShPctA&sortdir=ASC

At a magnitude that high, defensive skill only improves Pavelec at a maximum of 0.004 if Jets are the worst defensive team since 2007.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
I think Montoya's pedigree is under appreciated here. He is a former first round draft pick, 6th overall. In the two seasons before his concussion he had a 2.08 and a 2.39 goals against average with save percentages of .925 and .921. He is known to be an excellent puck handler, a difficiency in Pav's game that often gets us in trouble. I am 100% in favour of letting him play and developing a healthy goaltending rivalry on the Jets.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
21 games and one of the best save % in the league you'd think would give you a little more than a backup in Philly.

Not when you're 31 years old, not when teams aren't sure if you'll keep that for a full season.

What do you measure goaltenders by if you can't use save percentage?

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Capitals-beat-Jets-in-SO-Oct-22-2013-300x200.jpg

Game recaps, post-game audio, video highlights and the NHL.com 3 Stars of the night.

For above click here.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Sv% isn't useless at all.

It is very sustainable and repeatable once you get large enough enough sample sizes.

This is pretty general idea of talent order http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=ShPctA&sortdir=ASC

At a magnitude that high, defensive skill only improves Pavelec at a maximum of 0.004 if Jets are the worst defensive team since 2007.

It is, however, completely useless when you're discussing whether a goalie was good in one game or not.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
Sad, but you're probably right on the money.

If you're referring to all the talk about Pavelec in this thread I'm pretty ticked the Jets lost this game and certainly did not want it to end this way so it would help my "agenda". I want Pavelec to play well, he's part of this team, but he just isn't and hasn't for quite some time.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
How about over 9 games?

Not as useless, but still not very reliable. Over 4 seasons is a much better and convincing argument... However, since you were talking about his poor game TODAY, and were pointing to his 87.5Sv%, I wonder how this is relevant to the discussion?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ill say it again. We are stuck with Pavs for 3 more years cause his contract sucks. Find a damn goalie coach that can teach him something.

He can be bought out this summer with no effect on the cap. If he keeps this out I would hope that Chevy strongly considers it and goes hard after Miller.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It is, however, completely useless when you're discussing whether a goalie was good in one game or not.

Not useless... It indicates how many pucks they stop relative to shots, just not predictive of the goalies future success because at a 1 game level shots and scoring chances can vary hugely (see this game and nashville game as a comparison).

But, yes useless for damning a goalie.

Also, for all the ones crying for Montoya over Pavelec based off of Sv% look where Montoya is on the list.
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=ShPctA&sortdir=ASC

I honestly believe neither are great goalies, but I'll take Pavelec on a non-b2b over Montoya.

White Out 403*

Actually I think this was the kind of game the broken record brigade lives for. Deep down they are happier than the Caps fans about how the Jets lost.

Sad, but you're probably right on the money.

The ultimate cop out. Stats not on your side? Player you keep defending crap the bed for the 100th time? Call out the fans who dont like him as infidels!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Not useless... It indicates how many pucks they stop relative to shots, just not predictive of the goalies future success because at a 1 game level shots and scoring chances can vary hugely (see this game and nashville game as a comparison).

But, yes useless for damning a goalie.

Also, for all the ones crying for Montoya over Pavelec based off of Sv% look where Montoya is on the list.
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=ShPctA&sortdir=ASC

I honestly believe neither are great goalies, but I'll take Pavelec on a non-b2b over Montoya.

Well no ****, smartass!:laugh:

White Out 403*

Not as useless, but still not very reliable. Over 4 seasons is a much better and convincing argument... However, since you were talking about his poor game TODAY, and were pointing to his 87.5Sv%, I wonder how this is relevant to the discussion?

Oh okay, so now you're willing to give weight to save % over the last 4 years?

I brought up his sv% today in relation to his opposition, but I also talked about scoring chance save %. And the coup de gras for us tonight was when his team gave him three chances in the shoot out for us to pull of a hugely needed win.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Oh okay, so now you're willing to give weight to save % over the last 4 years?

I brought up his sv% today in relation to his opposition, but I also talked about scoring chance save %. And the coup de gras for us tonight was when his team gave him three chances in the shoot out for us to pull of a hugely needed win.

That's funny, I'm pretty sure that you blamed him for every single one of the goals? It sure seemed like it in the GDT?

You kept stating that he had a poor showing, and you pointed to his save%. The fact that a goalie was outplayed by another goalie doesn't mean that he played poorly. A lot of goalies would have been outplayed by Holtby today.

White Out 403*

That's funny, I'm pretty sure that you blamed him for every single one of the goals? It sure seemed like it in the GDT?

You kept stating that he had a poor showing, and you pointed to his save%. The fact that a goalie was outplayed by another goalie doesn't mean that he played poorly. A lot of goalies would have been outplayed by Holtby today.

I think you're mistaken friend. I don't post much during the GDT because I'm on GCL and lagged.

edit: And you're right, but it wasn't a case of Holtby out playing Pavs. Pavs had a bad night combined with Holtby having an amazing night. He totally crapped the bed.

bazaaa*

++++

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Read a couple pages of the GDT
Damn opinions on Peluso are split.

I thought he was very good tonight.
Seemed like he got benched, anyone know why?

Also Pavs is ****.

Last edited:

bazaaa*

Read a couple pages of the GDT
Damn opinions on Peluso is split.

I thought he was very good tonight.
Seemed like he got benched, anyone know why?

Also Pavs is ****.

I missed the game and totally meant to check if he played.
I'd like to know this too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad