Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Crosby can win five more Cups and it will mean zero to most of us. The Caps won the Cup, Ovechkin led, conversation is over.

Most threads about all time greatest list on HFB end with Crosby being significantly higher than Ovechkin. Like top-5 or top-10 against top-25. That's because it's canadian game, youknow.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Most threads about all time greatest list on HFB end with Crosby being significantly higher than Ovechkin. Like top-5 or top-10 against top-25. That's because it's canadian game, youknow.

Look I get the greatness of Crosby but I also get the greatness of Malkin. ;)

I grew up the biggest Gretzky fan ever, and have been watching hockey for 40 years, Ovechkin is the second best player I have ever seen. Best player in terms of excitement, hits, goals, showmanship, leadership it's Alex Ovechkin for me and a bunch of writers will never convince me otherwise.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Such a good article. Even talks about a good relationship with Ken Klee

Behind a paywall unfortunately. Is the Athletic worth it? I know they plan on opening a DC section soon so I'll probably just wait until then unless I'm convinced otherwise.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Behind a paywall unfortunately. Is the Athletic worth it? I know they plan on opening a DC section soon so I'll probably just wait until then unless I'm convinced otherwise.

Unless you follow baseball theres really no need for it. Most baseball writers are on the Athletic

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I’m excited to see if they can actually play a full season of it. Sure.....there will be lulls, injuries, cold spells, and inconsistencies.....but hot damn. Let’s see Reirden unleash the hounds, have some added youth to the mix in the lower forward ranks, and roll to SC Cup Win #2!

The prospect of them maybe taking those lessons forward into the regular season is one of the reasons I'm cautious about overpaying for Wilson. If Kuznetsov and Ovechkin play a 200ft game like they did in the postseason, then Wilson's stranglehold on the 1RW spot suddenly isn't so certain.

He's still our best option there, but in a world where 8 and 92 become responsible defensively, playing a more offensively gifted wing in that 1RW spot is an interesting idea that could help elevate that line to the upper echelon of 5v5 production without taking a beating defensively.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Do you know something or is this just some "how she is carrying" sort of thing?[/QUOTE]

He was asked if he will name his kid Stanley and he had a very disappointed look on his face and said probably not. Maybe he just doesn't like to talk about personal stuff, but the feeling i got was that he is not having a boy.

And yes also the way she is carrying. A year ago i would have told you its all a bunch of mumbo jumbo but having just gone through this myself i firmly believe that how you carry does help determine gender.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I’m a big believer that hard workers make (help to manufacture) their own luck, and in turn, that makes winners. I don’t believe for a second that the Caps simply got more lucky this year. They paid the price every game and were rewarded with some breaks that winners get in a championship run.

It's hard to quantify luck but I think it's likely inaccurate to say they weren't more lucky this year. The Blue Jackets hit 4 posts in Game 3. Kuhnhackl hit the post in OT in Game 6. Neal's post job in the Final. Eller's goal in Game 3 vs CBJ. Gourde's whiff on a wide-open net in Game 6 vs Tampa. All bounces that are literally inches away from altering the course of history and all bounces that historically have not gone the Caps way, and all bounces that (potentially) made major differences in the outcome of those series.

Looking in the past, what happens if Kreider's shot didn't deflect off of Orpik's shinpad in Game 5 of the series in 2015? What happens if Weber's clear doesn't bounce directly to a Pens player in OT in G5? Too many examples to mention of bad bounces to name but there are a ton of "what ifs" to ponder.

The Caps this year earned a lot of luck and bounces but I think they received a bunch of favorable bounces too. That's hockey.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
The prospect of them maybe taking those lessons forward into the regular season is one of the reasons I'm cautious about overpaying for Wilson. If Kuznetsov and Ovechkin play a 200ft game like they did in the postseason, then Wilson's stranglehold on the 1RW spot suddenly isn't so certain.

He's still our best option there, but in a world where 8 and 92 become responsible defensively, playing a more offensively gifted wing in that 1RW spot is an interesting idea that could help elevate that line to the upper echelon of 5v5 production without taking a beating defensively.

This observation/question is related less with Wilson's value than it is to a the prospect/wisdom of trying to establish a consistent 100-game strategy. My impression is that some of the teams who play deep in the SC playoffs - let's say making it to the Conference Finals - establish an identity early in the season and "play that way" (with occasional hiccups, as one might expect) for their entire run. Others change their identity, or at least "turn it on" and/or evolve into something significantly different, over the course of their season. The examples of Pens teams playing crappy early but winning the Cup, and last year's Caps making adjustments as the playoffs began, come to mind.

We've experienced Trotz playing Ovie fewer RS minutes in an attempt to save him for the playoffs - didn't seem to work that well, at least based on results. We've also seen Holtby essentially benched in 2017-18, and taking over beginning the third game of this year's loffs. Was he successful because he was fresher? We've seen Prez Trophy winners bulldoze thru the RS and die in R2.

Anyway, whether it's 200-foot responsible play, or reduced minutes/starts for the stars, or establishing a consistent strategy and running with it all the way to a Cup, since the playoffs are a different animal (having to beat a single opponent four times in <8 games), do coaches view the RS as a trial period for different strategies and approaches to the game, or do they attempt to install a 100-game strategy starting from G1?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's hard to quantify luck but I think it's likely inaccurate to say they weren't more lucky this year. The Blue Jackets hit 4 posts in Game 3. Kuhnhackl hit the post in OT in Game 6. Neal's post job in the Final. Eller's goal in Game 3 vs CBJ. Gourde's whiff on a wide-open net in Game 6 vs Tampa. All bounces that are literally inches away from altering the course of history and all bounces that historically have not gone the Caps way, and all bounces that (potentially) made major differences in the outcome of those series.

Looking in the past, what happens if Kreider's shot didn't deflect off of Orpik's shinpad in Game 5 of the series in 2015? What happens if Weber's clear doesn't bounce directly to a Pens player in OT in G5? Too many examples to mention of bad bounces to name but there are a ton of "what ifs" to ponder.

The Caps this year earned a lot of luck and bounces but I think they received a bunch of favorable bounces too. That's hockey.

I believe you make your own luck by doing all the things required to win. Basically selling out or being “all in”.

I think it’s weak to suggest they won because they were luckier.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Look I get the greatness of Crosby but I also get the greatness of Malkin. ;)

I grew up the biggest Gretzky fan ever, and have been watching hockey for 40 years, Ovechkin is the second best player I have ever seen. Best player in terms of excitement, hits, goals, showmanship, leadership it's Alex Ovechkin for me and a bunch of writers will never convince me otherwise.

I too grew up the biggest 99 fan. I’d still give the nod to 66 over 8 (so far).

One career not over yet so let’s see where the chip land after 8 is done.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Caps now have 7.265 mil cap space with 13 forwards (14 when they sign wilson) 6 defenders and 2 goalies

Jun 15, 2007
I too grew up the biggest 99 fan. I’d still give the nod to 66 over 8 (so far).

One career not over yet so let’s see where the chip land after 8 is done.

Ovechkin can't touch Lemieux.

He does have freakish durability though, so provided he doesn't return to Dynamo Moscow for a few years, he can maybe beat Gretzky's goal record.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So you think they created the Blue Jackets hitting 4 posts, including 1 in OT? They created Neal hitting the post on a wide open net?

A hit post is a missed shot. What’s lucky about an opponent missing the net? Shooting wide and hitting the post is the same thing on the score sheet. Big nothings. Failure to execute isn’t lucky IMO, it’s just failure.

Last edited:

Jun 15, 2007
Also just so you guys now, this whole debate has been raging for thousands of years between philosophers and historians. No one's mind has ever been changed on this.

When the OG Alexander the Great beat the dynasty Persian teams to lead Macedonia to victory, critics were split on whether or not he was the greatest man to ever live or if he was just lucky to inherit the Macedonian war machine and facing an incompetent and unlucky enemy.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ovechkin can't touch Lemieux.

He does have freakish durability though, so provided he doesn't return to Dynamo Moscow for a few years, he can maybe beat Gretzky's goal record.

Well durability and actually playing the games matter for sure. Talent-wise, 66 was as good as anyone I’ve seen in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad