Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I find the Orpik situation quite interesting. I would assume by now he has offers from a few teams, including the Caps, so I find it interesting he hasn't made any kind of decision yet. There is obviously no rush but you'd figure a few of those teams need an answer sooner or later (for instance the Caps) so that they can move on and find another replacement. I wonder what the hold up is and how long the Caps will be willing to wait.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I find the Orpik situation quite interesting. I would assume by now he has offers from a few teams, including the Caps, so I find it interesting he hasn't made any kind of decision yet. There is obviously no rush but you'd figure a few of those teams need an answer sooner or later (for instance the Caps) so that they can move on and find another replacement. I wonder what the hold up is and how long the Caps will be willing to wait.

Id say until wilson signs

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Why there is a rush to use cap space? We have a logjam on LD. There is no clear need to sign player ASAP.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Also, getting our strongest rivals to overpay should end with us having advantage at some point down the road. GMBM should keep himself calm and estimate risks more than ever.

PS: Good luck to them trying to stop Caps core that KNOWS HOW TO WIN.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Orpik might be contemplating retirement, don't forget that option.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I suspect Orpik was concussed late in the Tampa series. He didn't throw any hits after getting boarded. I wonder if he is trying to heal up fully before deciding his next move.

All that we are seeing is possibly scripted. Does Reirden have an opening on his staff still? I think so. We also have an opening at 6/7D. He seems a solid fit at both to me.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My guess is that MacLellan and Orpik have an understanding. They will wait til Wilson is signed and then announce Orpik.

If Orpik had an offer he wanted elsewhere, he would have moved on by now.

If the Caps want him to play there is no chance he retires to coach

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I suspect Orpik was concussed late in the Tampa series. He didn't throw any hits after getting boarded. I wonder if he is trying to heal up fully before deciding his next move.

All that we are seeing is possibly scripted. Does Reirden have an opening on his staff still? I think so. We also have an opening at 6/7D. He seems a solid fit at both to me.

Orpik didn't throw a single hit in the finals? I certainly did. If he is healing from anything it was having his finger chopped off.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Fwiw, orpik threw 5 hits in game 5 of Finals, 6 hits in game 4, 4 hits game 3, 6 hits game 2 and 4 in game 1. Basically led each game with hits on both sides (with wilson close or ahead one or two time

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have a different hit scale from the NHL, and likely many fans. I cannot recall a single monster hit from Orpik in the finals. It sounds like I am likely wrong, but I hardly remember any significant hitting in the finals??

Of course I was drinking much of the series, and watching from anywhere but my couch ran risk of missing large parts of the game.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Of course not -- just like Backstrom, who obviously got his finger broken in retaliation for all those monster hits he threw.

Haula slashed Orpik in retaliation for him drilling him with a huge hit.

I didn't see any signs of Orpik being concussed in the playoffs, but I saw him being more careful with his hitting in the SCF against the speedy Vegas forwards.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Of course not -- just like Backstrom, who obviously got his finger broken in retaliation for all those monster hits he threw.

Nice spin but Backstrom blocked a shot with his hand. Orpik was slashed at the end of g2 in retaliation for a hit. Major penalty and misconduct earned.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Nice spin but Backstrom blocked a shot with his hand. Orpik was slashed at the end of g2 in retaliation for a hit. Major penalty and misconduct earned.

It was obviously a retaliatory shot for the monster hit that Backstrom threw earlier.

The point is, getting slashed is no particular badge of honor for physical play. If anything, pure skill players probably get slashed more by the pilons that can't keep up with them. Used to be much more.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I recall quite a few heavy hits by Orpik throughout the finals...maybe we should rewatch the games?...

Definitely got his bell rung and might have had a concussion but even still he didn't shy sway from anything physical. It's the finals man, they would have had to slash his arm off to keep a vet like that from lacing them up.

Reactions: Hagstrom

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It was obviously a retaliatory shot for the monster hit that Backstrom threw earlier.

The point is, getting slashed is no particular badge of honor for physical play. If anything, pure skill players probably get slashed more by the pilons that can't keep up with them. Used to be much more.

Ok...the whole thing was clearly visible on tv. It was a particularly egregious slash, but ok. We can go with your view

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Indeed there was lots of hitting I don't remember. But I still cannot find a single Orpik hit. He seemed to be on the receiving end of big ones.

In fact this well done hit montage from the finals has 0 hits from him.

And the major penalty after the hit was a joke. There was no big hit, he was just pissed. The Finn got a major because he slashed the ref.

Who boarded Orpik proper and when. Was it game 6 or 7 vs Tampa?

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Indeed there was lots of hitting I don't remember. But I still cannot find a single Orpik hit. He seemed to be on the receiving end of big ones.

In fact this well done hit montage from the finals has 0 hits from him.

And the major penalty after the hit was a joke. There was no hit, he was just pissed. The Finn got a major because he slashed the ref.

why are you trying to prove he didnt hit anyone when the stats say he was one of the main hitters in the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->