Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 Still The Champs Edition - Pt. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I would also let Hagelin walk, although if Orpik also goes that would be a lot of PK turnover. I'd like to see Malenstyn or AJF make it at 4LW with PK duties and for Stephenson to either take a step or be moved (same with Djoos). They'll probably need to either sign Barber to challenge for 3RW or some reclamation UFA project. If they also lose Burakovsky their depth scoring could be equally ugly in the regular season. They'll piece it together but they're definitely in need of some quality upside up front again.

In theory I'd favor a Niskanen trade but I'm not sure what it might look like. Cheap youth with upside is welcome but are they willing to be patient with a younger lineup? Do they have the staff and team discipline to fully develop? Many questions without obvious answers when it comes to the surrounding cast.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
People keep mentioning Niskanen as a trade candidate. Who lead the Caps in ice time last night? I'd be surprised if GMBM trades the guy Rierden trusts the most.

Granted, I'd personally shop him hard. Kempny-Carlson, Orlov-Jensen is a really solid, really cost-efficient top-4. But what I'd do and what GMs actually do are rarely in sync.

I have fond memories of Niskanen, he's been with us for awhile now and extremely grateful for last year. But we all know that from the business side of it, moving him is probably the easiest way to open up cap space to improve the team (in a way that makes sense).

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Turnover is key to success, hunger is key to success.

DSP, Connelly, Jaskin, Orpik, Burakovsky gone. I want Hagelin back, he is such a good defensive player. Niskanen getting traded wouldn't kill me but they have to save players for Seattle next summer.

Kids, kids, kids, just like 2018. Also top priority is to get Samsonov games next season so he is ready to take over in 2020.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Jun 15, 2007
What I think happens: Pretty much nothing. Orpik, Connolly and Hagelin walk and get replaced internally or via dumpster dive UFAs.

What I wish would happen: Trade Niskanen, sign Karlsson.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
People keep mentioning Niskanen as a trade candidate. Who lead the Caps in ice time last night? I'd be surprised if GMBM trades the guy Rierden trusts the most.

Granted, I'd personally shop him hard. Kempny-Carlson, Orlov-Jensen is a really solid, really cost-efficient top-4. But what I'd do and what GMs actually do are rarely in sync.
He hasn't aged well and Jensen seems pegged by GMBM to be the guy to step into that role.

We need to clear space and I don't think GMBM was banking on Jensen playing bottom pairing time when he handed him his contract. There are enough options now with Hershey and league min. d-men in FA to slot into that 6D role. GMBM clearly was planning on someone having to move after this year if you look at the d-core and the salaries.

Also I think as we have these discussions it's important to be clear. Every single guy who suited up for that 17-18 team will forever be a part of Caps royalty. It's a business so I will be sad to see some go, but I hope the team continues to bring those guys all back for multiple events after they've retired.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
What I think happens: Pretty much nothing. Orpik, Connolly and Hagelin walk and get replaced internally or via dumpster dive UFAs.

While basically impossible given salary constrictions.

I firmly have done a 180 on Karlsson. I see no reason to chase him, he's not what we need, he's a river boat gambler, and I'm starting to think he is on the decline.

We need competent defensive d-men. We won a Cup by being strong in our own end, I'm really not looking to chase the Young Guns Era of 7-5 W's, especially if we plan on leaning hard on a rookie G within the next two years.

Reactions: calicapsfan

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
What we need is to retool the bottom 6

Last year they created magic. This year in playoffs they were duds. Eller was awful. Burky one goal. DSP gave us nothing. Hagelin didn’t produce points. Connolly too much and will be gone.

Not getting production from bottom 6 killed this team. It wasn’t due to bad luck either - the first 3 games of the series the bottom 6 had line 14 shots COMBINED. Also, add in the penalties and it’s brutal.

Caps are best when they are a full team. Unfortunately these playoffs they were a top heavy team with weaknesses in bottom 6 and bottom D

No major changes needed - just need to fill out the roster at the bottom better.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Last year they created magic. This year in playoffs they were duds. Eller was awful. Burky one goal. DSP gave us nothing. Hagelin didn’t produce points. Connolly too much and will be gone.

Not getting production from bottom 6 killed this team. It wasn’t due to bad luck either - the first 3 games of the series the bottom 6 had line 14 shots COMBINED. Also, add in the penalties and it’s brutal.

Caps are best when they are a full team. Unfortunately these playoffs they were a top heavy team with weaknesses in bottom 6 and bottom D

No major changes needed - just need to fill out the roster at the bottom better.
Dowd and DSP I don't believe played at all in OT, so Caps pretty much ran with 10 forwards for OT and and a good part of the third. Tells you Reirden's assessment of those two. You know the likes of Beagle would have gotten time purely based on his face off abilities but he wasn't a defensive liability either.

Jun 15, 2007
While basically impossible given salary constrictions.

I firmly have done a 180 on Karlsson. I see no reason to chase him, he's not what we need, he's a river boat gambler, and I'm starting to think he is on the decline.

We need competent defensive d-men. We won a Cup by being strong in our own end, I'm really not looking to chase the Young Guns Era of 7-5 W's, especially if we plan on leaning hard on a rookie G within the next two years.
If you have the ability to sign an elite talent for nothing other than cap space, you do it, then make the cap work.

Our biggest problem this year was our breakouts and zone entries. Karlsson is basically a one man breakout.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010

I guess I'm not surprised that Ovie didn't tell Mother Russia he needs a breather (like Sid did to Canada). Orlov is younger and can probably manage a few more games. The most interesting player to follow will be Kuzy. How will he perform?

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
No. He wouldn't fit on the Caps D without moving Carlson out. Now, a 25+ minute LHD could work, but nobody's trading those.
Au Contraire! My Pittsburgh hockey club would love to offer you Mr. Olli Maatta, a 20min LHD with three years remaining at $4m per. He and Brooksie have ironed things out, and he's good buddies with Hags. If you would be so kind to give us something, anything for Maatta, all past unpleasantries between our two factions will be forgotten. It goes without saying you'd be most welcome to Jack Johnson as well, though even bringing up something that ridiculous likely merits a thread ban.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If you have the ability to sign an elite talent for nothing other than cap space, you do it, then make the cap work.

Our biggest problem this year was our breakouts and zone entries. Karlsson is basically a one man breakout.
Getting Karlsson is like using your money to put racing stripes on your car when the oil desperately needs to be changed. We're really not that far off from being a Cup contender again, but we have real issues we need to address first, Karlsson is a guady move that doesn't really address our needs, but rather operates by the logic of "best player available makes our team the best team", it's a very NHL 19 or Dan Snyder way of looking at the issue.

I think our biggest problem was sustaining zone entries. We had no issue getting the puck in, we had zero forecheck though and so we could never really cycle the puck. Karlsson doesn't really help this out too much. His own team right now is having massive issues defending and basically every win they had wasn't by any defensive effort.

Also there are cheaper options to help with breakouts.

I just don't really think he'd be a great usage of 8-9 million dollars, whereas using that money to secure pieces that were instrumental in our Cup win would be a smarter usage.

Reactions: Jags and Corby78

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

Eller looked fatigue and foggy all year which was a far cry from last year where he looked like his hockey vision was on the next plain.

I think of all the guys that sucked this year Eller is most likely to bounce back, I legit think that he was just genuinely fatigued. Guy was probably our best regular season player in 2017-18, I'm committed to seeing how he gets 19-20 going before I tell him to shove off.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
When looking at guys who didn’t look good you need to decide who will bounce back (as stated above). I agree Eller is a likely candidate. Kuzy we need to pray is a yes. DSP, Stephenson, no. I’m also ok keeping dowd I think he is fine on the fourth. Djoos I think is getting passed and can be moved/let go.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Don't be surprised if it's the same roster next year but for maybe a few guys.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia

I would be pretty surprised if it isn’t the same. The top 2 lines are basically set (assuming they can come to terms with vrana). Goalie is set. The only question on D is whether they resign orpik, go with siege or Djoos internally, or try to find a 3rd pair guy on the market. Eller is likely set at 3c and I would guess that one or two of Bura, Connolly, and/or hags will be back. So the question really becomes do they resign some of the 4th line guys or look elsewhere.

And I’m generally fine with that.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

I will be surprised. McClellen has proven to be cutthroat, none sentimental, and someone who won't overpay (Jay Beagle).

I think the bottom six will look a lot different next season. Connelly, DSP, Jaskin, Burakovsky gone. I think they will try to keep Hagelin but I'm sure they won't overpay. If there aren't at least three new players in the bottom six next season I will be disappointed.

Orpik gone and maybe a dman traded for a bottom six forward, or a package for a top six guy. I wonder what Nyqvist is gonna get as a UFA?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The two bottom 6 centers are set with Dowd now locked in. The four bottom six wingers are all subject to change, all of them. The good ones, Bura, Conno and Hags, all may go elsewhere but likely we can keep one of those three. From among the rest of Jaskin, Stephenson, Boyd, none of them are locks for anything. So I could easily see three new bottom six starting wings out of four.

I see Orpik gone and Siegs+Jensen the new bottom pair providing Kempny comes back. Don't see them trading Nisky, who do they replace those minutes? Not with Djoos or Jensen for sure.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The two bottom 6 centers are set with Dowd now locked in. The four bottom six wingers are all subject to change, all of them. The good ones, Bura, Conno and Hags, all may go elsewhere but likely we can keep one of those three. From among the rest of Jaskin, Stephenson, Boyd, none of them are locks for anything. So I could easily see three new bottom six starting wings out of four.

I see Orpik gone and Siegs+Jensen the new bottom pair providing Kempny comes back. Don't see them trading Nisky, who do they replace those minutes? Not with Djoos or Jensen for sure.
I think this training camp will tell a lot. The Hershey kids are still playing but you have to think a lot of them get serious looks this summer and fall.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Caps should consider hiring Guy Boucher. Sens fired him because the owner gutted the team and they are dead last. He has 2 playoff appearances, both times his team reached conference finals. If not firing Reirden, hire him as assistant coach.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

I was onboard the Karlsson hype train for a long time, but given how slow he looks for San Jose right now, there's got to be some gigantic warning signs flashing. In some fantasy world where he's willing to sign a one-year deal (like Hossa did with Detroit), then sure. But no way am I throwing $9M+ at that guy for 7 years with his very obvious mobility issues right now.

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad