Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 Still The Champs Edition - Pt. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Let Connolly go get his money from someone else. Went beast mode in a contract year and will attract top dollar from a desperate team.

Vrana’s series was horrendous and that should be a bargaining point for the Caps to knock his AAV Salary down a few pegs.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Not really in the mood to discuss who we should or shouldn't move on from. But we do need to get younger and faster - because that's what the whole league is doing. And we need some fresh ideas for the PP entry and breakout. Our forwards just have to be committed to coming down low and supporting the D trying to move the puck, instead of just relying on 50/50 pucks tossed up the boards. That was the head-scratcher for me all series, and does make me wonder about our collective fatigue.

On the bright side - Siggy and Burkie showed some promise in this series, and let's hope they can build on the positives they showed, because if you don't have young guys stepping up in the NHL today, you're moving backwards.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Add Orlov to the list as pieces needed to be considered traded. Not even close to being worth the 5M he is making.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Add Orlov to the list as pieces needed to be considered traded. Not even close to being worth the 5M he is making.
Going to disagree there. He had his moments this year for sure but he played very well last night and led the team in ice time. Over 37 minutes played and ended up playing 3+ minutes over Carlson and Carlson had a bunch of PP time setting up those pointless sligshots

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Going to disagree there. He had his moments this year for sure but he played very well last night and led the team in ice time. Over 37 minutes played and ended up playing 3+ minutes over Carlson and Carlson had a bunch of PP time setting up those pointless sligshots
Hopefully we continue to see what he did last night more often, but my feeling is he won't.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Outside of Ovi and Backstrom this team just didn't show up. The old vets could not carry this team into the second round. I think the Cup hangover (lack of effort) carried over this playoffs....or it was coaching. Who knows. Glad I turned down my free ticket for the game though.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...29b90efa879_story.html?utm_term=.9c2e43f3fbaf
“They kept coming, the whole team,” Washington goaltender Braden Holtby said. “They played a consistent style of hard work, and in the end, that’s what beat us. You’ve got to give credit where credit is due. On paper, you wouldn’t expect them to be the team that they are. That’s a credit to them and their coaching. They play a team game and that’s why the series was so close. We just came on the wrong end of it.”
Maybe not the ideal guy to be talking after that Game 7 performance of his but he's not wrong.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Don't get me wrong, i like the kid. I want him to do well. But again the guy is making 5M. This board seems to rant against guys like Nisky, Holtby, and Oshie for having slumps. But Orlov seems to get the "well he is young" . I hate to tell you the training wheels are now off. I hope he takes this playoffs and carries it over to next season. What i want to see is

1.Less turnovers
2.Attsck the puck/Puck carrier in the d-zone more

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Seems Subban is mentioned in trade rumors. Do the Caps have enough assets to acquire him? How would you feel about Subban on the backend for the Caps?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Oshie and Kempny out really tested their depth too much, and it showed in the OT periods. The Caps lost their legs and their composure on the puck. That said, a strong regulation from Holtby and/or Carlson and they're moving on to the 2nd round as the prohibitive Cup favorite.

Defense is extremely solid next year, regardless of who is the 3LD. I'd see if there's any interest in Djoos. Siegenthaler is a lot more toolsy.

Top six is great if Vrana returns (I can't imagine they'll move him)

Hagelin was an outstanding fit in the bottom 6, IMO, and I'd have him back at < $2M (which I don't think is unreasonable given his lack of production). Stephenson is a useful enough utility player/4th liner. His QO is probably fair, so that's $715k.

Not counting Djoos, that leaves ~$7.6M for Vrana, Burakovsky, Connolly, and a 7th D.

So, basically, thanks for the memories, Conno. I'd project Vrana at $5M, so that'd leave $2.6M to sign Burakovsky and fillers. That doesn't seem reasonable, and it's a real pickle. I was all about moving Burakovsky until the playoffs, but he seems one of those to elevate his game in the postseason. Vrana on a bridge deal and Hagelin under market value can solve a lot of the money problems. Gain $2-3M in wiggle room there and we're fine for bringing back everyone except Connolly.

Reactions: artilector

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I actually think Orlov was our best D this whole series. He's had a few gaffes, but he's been our best by far.

Edit: Niskanen though was a turnover machine all night

Agree. If a member of the current D corp should be jettison than Nisky gets my vote. Orly is only 27 as well.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Izzy’s new column mentions she thinks Jaskin, DSP and Orpik move on and that Niskanen is a trade candidate.

Also says the Caps basically have to choose between Connolly and Hagelin and Burakovsky most likely doesn’t get his QO

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The fact he mentions coaching is interesting...
I mean only if you're going to read into it like it's a Hemmingway novel.

I think he just meant that for a young team they were well prepared for the difference in playoff to regular season style and they reacted to adversity well. They're a very well conditioned team which is something you can expect from a tam coached by Brind'Amour

Guy isn't going to drag Reirden through the mud via cryptic quote if that's what you're getting at.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Izzy’s new column mentions she thinks Jaskin, DSP and Orpik move on and that Niskanen is a trade candidate.

Also says the Caps basically have to choose between Connolly and Hagelin and Burakovsky most likely doesn’t get his QO
I agree with all that and based on what they did after Oshie got hurt I figure Hagelin is likelier to be back than Connolly.

Reactions: tenken00

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Jaskin can walk, same with DSP. Orpik I would start talking about long term plans and see if he wants to be a part of coaching/training. I want to keep him around some way though. I would keep Hagelin, the real question is Bura/Conno. Need to chose one and chose wisely. Bura has more upside, but more risk. In the end I think I go Bura and roll the dice (can't believe it since I wanted him gone most this year). Siegs is penciled in as top 6D and I give him the full season to develop more. I bring up Samsonov and let him back up Holtby and play 25ish games.

Coaching I start paying money to good assistants and bring in a PP guy and maybe a good goalie coach. If TR is going to mature on our bench he needs good support.

Reactions: tenken00

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

Jaskin was clearly never thought too highly of by the staff despite being an analytics darling. He's obviously gone.

DSP took a pay cut and was relegated to the AHL, and when he returned he really was only effective for one game. He's gone.

Orpik is a wild card. I could see him retire, I could see him move on, I could see him resign at league min.

I would be in favor of that Niskanen trade.

Connolly is def. gone. He had a career year, he will be over paid somewhere, go get that money Bret the threat!

Hags is a risky venture. If he plays the way he did from when he arrived here that would be a great signing. If he plays like he did in LA that would be a bust.

Bura is also a risky venture. He looked fantastic the last part of the year, but he was kind of MIA for most of the playoffs. He'll never truly be that top 6 forward we want, so if he wants that money he can keep walking. I also am afraid that his issue would be complacency. I'm inclined to let him go, but would take him at the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad