GDT: Caps @ Flightless birds - 3/11/14 7:30 PM

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When was the last time you saw Ovechkin score a goal like Crosby just did? 2011? Maybe?

Which is why blaming the defensemen on that goal is ridiculous. It was a highlight reel play. Orlov jumped to catch a puck and keep it in the zone and was immediately tackled by Stempniak. Crosby made a great poke of the loose puck and created a break for himself. Carrick correctly played the pass, Crosby just made an increadible no-look shot right above Halak's pad, far side.

Sorry Caps fans, Crosby owned us on that one, and the result probably would have been the same with Stevens and Langway out there.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
they aren't the same type of scorer, besides when was the last time you say the caps consistently work the boards to create plays? His best assist guy is a little swede that gets knocked off the puck with ease

They aren't the same type of scorer anymore.

Crosby is dynamic and can score in a number of ways. Ovechkin usually waits for the one timer. Ovechkin used to be able to do all of this. What the ****?

Also, I hate Crosby and think Backstrom is actually quite strong on the puck.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Dare I say Kuznetsov was our most dangerous player on the ice tonight?

Ovechkin did nothing, Backstrom did nothing, Brouwer missed his usual 2 point blank chances... and that's about it.

Agreed. I posted earlier saying he was one of the best on the ice tonight and after a few more shifts I think he was the best. Long way to go to be what he can top out at but he's certainly well on the way.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Kuzya is gonna be awesome. To man up in a game like that and do something when no one else did spoke volumes. Looks like a winner by the way he carries himself.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
It appears that there isn't much of a big horse up the middle for the caps like the Pens have. The caps need that big haus up the middle who can drive the puck to the net and hold on (great puck possession skills). Need someone who can drive the net and can hold on to the puck for god's sake!!!! Kuzzy is NOT that player.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I've never seen Ovechkin score a no-look goal like that other than "the goal" all those years ago.

I'd argue its because no one would think Ovi is gonna pass up a breakaway shot...or there's no one else to fear when he comes roaring down the side with Mojo beside him.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
They aren't the same type of scorer anymore.

Crosby is dynamic and can score in a number of ways. Ovechkin usually waits for the one timer. Ovechkin used to be able to do all of this. What the ****?

Also, I hate Crosby and think Backstrom is actually quite strong on the puck.

not along the boards breaking out of the zone. The reason ovie doesn't make those plays anymore is because guys like hunter and oates have broken him down. still has more goals then crosby and cindy is on a much more talented team, so I don't know what your point is

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'd argue its because no one would think Ovi is gonna pass up a breakaway shot...or there's no one else to fear when he comes roaring down the side with Mojo beside him.

Agreed. There was a time, with Semin, or even when Backs was shooting better, that Ovi made plays like that.

But of course, why should he anyway? He doesn't need to look anyone off. He's got the best shot the league has seen in decades.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Chimera-Fehr-Wilson looked like a good line in the 3rd period but still only got ~2-3 minutes of playing time together because of the penalties.

I can't wait for next season without McPhee, Oates and CalleJo.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Ovechkin is worse on RW than LW.

There, I said it. Flame away.

He's scored off the LW more then the right. I am really starting to question how much Oates had to do with Ovi's resurgence. Just got the PP going again gave Ovi his mojo back.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I'm going to laugh in hysteria when the 3 stooges are still here next season, can someone please photoshop 3 stooges with oates, gmgm and calle?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm going to laugh in hysteria when the 3 stooges are still here next season, can someone please photoshop 3 stooges with oates, gmgm and calle?

At some point fans calling for his head is gonna force Ted's hand. I'm hearing more and more that "regular" fans are souring towards him.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
He's scored off the LW more then the right. I am really starting to question how much Oates had to do with Ovi's resurgence. Just got the PP going again gave Ovi his mojo back.

Oates 1) put in a very good powerplay system, 2) believes in him, 3) makes it so he doesn't carry the puck in the zone all the time. All 3 are useful.

Switching him to RW was not useful. The second he carries it in, he has nowhere to go. At least on LW he had options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad