GDT: Caps @ Flightless birds - 3/11/14 7:30 PM

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Oates 1) put in a very good powerplay system, 2) believes in him, 3) makes it so he doesn't carry the puck in the zone all the time. All 3 are useful.

Switching him to RW was not useful. The second he carries it in, he has nowhere to go. At least on LW he had options.

No one's carrying it into offensive zone, that's the problem.

I think its just having a guy who's in his corner. I really question if someone like Laviolette would be able to do that with him.

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
oates cant put Ovi back now. It will prove he was wrong.

It would be great if we had a GM who could choose the right coaches. Oates as the PP coach( and that's it) would have been amazing.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Oates is not a HC. McPhee can't scout leadership and discipline to save his life. He just can't. It's not there in his players, coaches, training staff, etc.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Please, fire this clown. We need someone who can freakin coach. Oh, and great pickup, george -- penner, he sucks. Slow lazy player, nothing to offer.

I wish we had a horse up the middle... we need a power center who will drive the net with some puck posession skills. Should have kept Forsy.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
Hoping for this next game

Kuz-Backstrom-Brouwer
Fehr-Mojo-Ovechkin
Chimera-Laich-Wilson
Penner-Beagle/Wellman-Ward

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Hoping for this next game

Kuz-Backstrom-Brouwer
Fehr-Mojo-Ovechkin
Chimera-Laich-Wilson
Penner-Beagle/Wellman-Ward

The problem is, instead of a stud horse up the center on the 2L, we have a weak foal in Mojo or Gabosky. I mean, we need that big horse like Pitt has to drive the net.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Firing Oates alone gets us nothing.

Look at the trajectory: Wilson (inherited) > Cassidy (WTF?) > Hanlon (who mostly sucked) > BB (by accident, really) > Dale (who ducks out asap) > Oates (who just plain sucks) > ??

Odds are it only gets worse, as difficult as that is to imagine.

Liberati0n*

The problem is, instead of a stud horse up the center on the 2L, we have a weak foal in Mojo or Gabosky. I mean, we need that big horse like Pitt has to drive the net.

This post definitely needs to be memorialized.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

Mojo has looked pretty damn good this year at 2C. You can keep saying 'WE NEED A BIG MONSTER AT CENTER" all you want but you're not providing names or how to acquire them.

He's trying to make due with what we've got.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Please, fire this clown. We need someone who can freakin coach. Oh, and great pickup, george -- penner, he sucks. Slow lazy player, nothing to offer.

I wish we had a horse up the middle... we need a power center who will drive the net with some puck posession skills. Should have kept Forsy.

Yeah, except for his size Penner hasn't shown me anything yet. Tonight he looked especially slow in skating.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, bringing new coaches could help to place guys with the wrong handedness into their natural positions. That may work!

New coaches could use a system also.

New coaches could help guys to develop their game maybe.

Well, nothing else left to wait for.

PS: Kuz is weak as expected. At least he is moving his legs. Overall picture is very grim.

Liberati0n*

Mojo has looked pretty damn good this year at 2C. You can keep saying 'WE NEED A BIG MONSTER AT CENTER" all you want but you're not providing names or how to acquire them.

Not a big monster, a big horse. A stud horse.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009

Look at the trajectory: Wilson (inherited) > Cassidy (WTF?) > Hanlon (who mostly sucked) > BB (by accident, really) > Dale (who ducks out asap) > Oates (who just plain sucks) > ??

When is his contract up by the way?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

I'll keep it brief, I disagree.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

have we watched the same mojo? he looks weak on the puck, and turns it over quite often. not a good 2c.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Yeah, except for his size Penner hasn't shown me anything yet. Tonight he looked especially slow in skating.

Lazy Penner sighting.

He looked very good winning board battles in the games before this one though, but some Ducks fans did warn that he isn't a big fan of back-to-back games. Effort gets lost sometimes.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Calle is also a miserable coach. Great player, miserable coach. Clean house, get an experienced coach in here who will get fundamentals down instead of screwing around with handedness and stick curves (which clearly hasn't resulted in any goals).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

There's usually a jumpstart when you fire a coach. Firing Oates might well wake them up enough to get them in the playoffs still.

IMO if they don't at this juncture, they've already thrown in the towel at the management level. If it was my team, after said termination tomorrow morning, I'd have a private but deathly serious, 1 on 5 meeting tomorrow (with Ovechkin, Green, Backstrom, Carlson, and Laich, ((and hopefully my new GM too)) and read them the riot act about how many coaches they as a core group are going to get fired before their careers as Capitals end....it's time to grab some sacks and be accountable!!!

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Who cares, we need to miss the playoffs, not make them, if we want any hope of firing Oates/McPhee.

Seriously. All the people calling for management's collective heads need to chill out. There's nothing those guys can do to get this team into the playoffs and save their jobs, just like there's nothing a new administration could do right now that would make any difference. Missing the playoffs is inevitable, at which point either they're gone, or Ted loses all credibility, all hope is lost, and the Ovechkin era is doomed to be a failure that will haunt the franchise until the end of time. Just embrace the tank, everything will be better soon, probably.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00