GDT: Caps @ Flightless birds - 3/11/14 7:30 PM

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Except no we don't. They could very easily play the injury card and say "Look at how many AHLers we had to play this year! Will be fine next year. Stick to the plan".

There's no hope because there's no certainty.

This. Fire George now to appease the fans before the STH deadline. Call Patrick interim GM for all I care; there's nothing for him to do. Spend the next month interviewing candidates, and have a guy on board by season's end.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Except no we don't. They could very easily play the injury card and say "Look at how many AHLers we had to play this year! Will be fine next year. Stick to the plan".

There's no hope because there's no certainty.

Ted's publicly stated that his goal is a championship. I don't think even he is delusional enough to think that injuries to Grabo, Laich, Erskine, and Hillen were the difference between this team missing the playoffs and being a championship contender. More than that, I don't think he's delusional enough to think the fans would buy it. Try to sell them that BS and Ted's going to feel it in his pocketbook.

And if he is, well... then I give up.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Ted's publicly stated that his goal is a championship. I don't think even he is delusional enough to think that injuries to Grabo, Laich, Erskine, and Hillen were the difference between this team missing the playoffs and being a championship contender. More than that, I don't think he's delusional enough to think the fans would buy it. Try to sell them that BS and Ted's going to feel it in his pocketbook.

If I were an STH, I'd want proof before I commit to anything.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

I just don't see it. Yes, the fans I know are talking about how bad our defense is and things of that nature but they will still go to games. For at least the next year, going to the Caps game is an event vs. going to a Redskins game where most are going expecting wins and want to see them do so.

Basically Cap's games are still social gatherings vs. sports environments in my opinion.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
GMGM could very well be back next year.

Sadly, I actually expect it.

Oates has been so bad that I'd actually be ecstatic if Oates was gone and GMGM was back. That's kind of sad, because GMGM is awful too.

It's gotten to the point where I can deal with it if our team just isn't as good as the team we're playing. What I can't deal with is our team vastly underperforming because of coaching.

You cannot convince me that Philly, CBJ, NJ, and Detroit have better rosters than we do. They don't. They have solid coaching that gives them a chance to win, while our coach is holding back every single ****ing player on our roster.

Last edited:

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I just don't see it. Yes, the fans I know are talking about how bad our defense is and things of that nature but they will still go to games. For at least the next year, going to the Caps game is an event vs. going to a Redskins game where most are going expecting wins and want to see them do so.

Basically Cap's games are still social gatherings vs. sports environments in my opinion.

I remember the early 2000s. With the Nats and Wiz on the rise and the Skins being their ever-dominant selves, the Caps are in serious danger of becoming the #4 team in this town. A Caps team that's not a playoff team is going to start hurting very quickly, in my opinion.

It feels very strange to be saying something like this to explain why I'm feeling optimistic.

Liberati0n*

Oates is ****ing horrible, but McPhee picked him and a lot of Oates' failures are related to the culture of management as a whole.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Oates has been so bad that I'd actually be ecstatic if Oates was gone and GMGM was back. That's kind of sad, because GMGM is awful too.

It's gotten to the point where I can deal with it if our team just isn't as good as the team we're playing. What I can't deal with is our team vastly underperforming because of coaching.

You cannot convince me that Philly, CBJ, NJ, and Detroit have better rosters than we do. They don't. They have solid coaching that gives them a chance to win, while our coach is holding back every single ****ing player on our roster.

You literally stole the exact thought from my head. I do want a new GM but I'd much rather see Oates go and a real coach brought in. Yeah I know, unlikely with McPhee.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Another note, I miss 09 Bruce. If McPhee preaches mobile D so much why not play that system. It worked well and we almost knocked out the Stanley cup champs.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I guess they could go the interim GM route and then hire Lavy. But if it's true that McPhee's contract is up after this season, I wouldn't really mind waiting the extra month or so so Ted doesn't have to fire his friend, which is what I think will happen.

And now it looks like he's finally messed up big enough that even his biggest supporter - Ted - will have to do something about it. Honestly, I'm happy right now. It's not official yet, but we know it's finally over. Relax.

Take a note from Kubrick's classic, Dr. Strangepuck or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Tank

NOAfcZx.jpg

Oh I'm relaxed. I don't let this stuff bother me. The pain with the Caps goes farther back than GMGM and Ted. My take is GMGM will not get his contract renewed and move somewhere else, perhaps becoming a player agent. I realized the season was pretty much over before the Olympics. I'm just glad he didn't make any job saving moves this year like at the 2013 TDL. I feel more confident this year will bring some changes.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
If I was a Pens fan I would probably have but one feeling towards the Washington Capitals Organization.

It would be pity.

For the fans.

We want to laugh, but we're too scared that the same sort of complacency exists with Bylsma and company, they just haven't had as much time as McPhee to screw things up.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
We want to laugh, but we're too scared that the same sort of complacency exists with Bylsma and company, they just haven't had as much time as McPhee to screw things up.

Don't worry pens fans, we'd kick you while you were down too. I'm more or less dissapointed because I look forward to these games, and they arent the same when one team is struggling with their garbage coach and his "systems". I don't think you guys need to worry about Mcphee 2.0 in Pittsburgh.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
After seeing the BB and Oates comparisons of results against Pittsburgh, I looked at the 11/12 season where Hunter took over for BB.

With BB at the helm, Caps won in overtime in Pittsburgh 3-2

With Hunter at the helm:
Caps lost at Verizon 2-1
Caps won at Verizon 1-0
Caps lost in Pittsburgh in OT 4-3

Burakovsky95*

You guys have a cup though. So it isn't the same.

Monty

Aug 31, 2004
Already didn't renew mine from last season, and I'm glad i didn't. Went to one game this year and it just so happened to be the other night vs the yotes.

I am in the same boat. Didn't renew my ST last March. Ted or the Caps said a month ago that last season that got 95% ST renewals. That is complete hogwash. I knew many people who did not renew for 2013-14, and other people who did renew said many of their friends and other ST holders they knew didn't renew last season. All of you have to do is look at the stands on games against teams that don't have large local followings, and what you see is 3,000 empty seats in the lower bowl and the club level - heck the club level isn't even half full except against the good teams or the teams, like the Pens or Wings, whose local fans snap up the available tixs.

One difference with this season's renewal compared to last season: The renewal form makes it appear that you can't get your same seats for the playoffs unless you check one of the renewal boxes on the form. There is no box to check for "Not renewing." It's only a renewal form. You just don't submit the form. Then, a Caps account rep calls you and asks if you made a mistake in failing to submit your renewal form. When he did, I griped about that since I had season tixs for the whole season, I was entitled to get playoff tixs to my seats, and he admitted that I was. But the renewal form is deceptive in suggesting that if you don't submit the "renewal" form, you are also not getting playoff tixs.

The difference this year compared to last, is last season at the time of renewal it was apparent that the Caps were making the playoffs, and so the appearance of losing out on getting playoff tixs on the renewal form may have compelled a lot of people on the fence to renew again. With the Caps' chance to get into the playoffs this year not looking very good, that factor of losing out on playoff tixs will likely not sway many people.

Apparently though some STs this season are only renewing because they are guaranteed their tixs to the Winter Classic here. I am not going to question their decision, but I would not renew a whole season simply to guarantee my seats for the Winter Classic. That's a lot of money to assure going to one game. Believe me, non STs holders will be able to get tixs to the Winter Classic. There will be many more seats available, and so what if you pay a little more for one game. Much cheaper than buying a whole season of tickets.

Monty

Aug 31, 2004
McPhee's contract is up at the end of the season so they won't technically have to "fire" him just not extend his contract.

Green would have some takers despite his poor play. Other organizations have to notice that he isn't being used to his strengths. The problem is there aren't many good FA defensemen in next years class which means a hockey trade has to be made to upgrade the defense

I would not assume that Ted hasn't already renewed GM's contract. That happened back in the early 2000s. GM's contract was expiring, and after the season ended not so well, a media reporter asked Ted or GM (forget which) about the renewal issue, and the reply was that GM had signed a new contract in Jan or Feb. There is no requirement for a team to announce the GM has renewed his contract, GM is tight-lipped as it is, and when was the last time this season that any local media asked GM or Ted if Ted and him had been discussing contract renewal, or whether there had been contract renewal talks or any were planned. None as far as I can recall.

Wouldn't that floor everyone if after the season ends with no playoffs, that sort of question finally is asked, and we learned GM had already signed a new contract a few months earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00