GDT: Caps @ Flightless birds - 3/11/14 7:30 PM

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Seriously. All the people calling for management's collective heads need to chill out. There's nothing those guys can do to get this team into the playoffs and save their jobs, just like there's nothing a new administration could do right now that would make any difference. Missing the playoffs is inevitable, at which point either they're gone, or Ted loses all credibility, all hope is lost, and the Ovechkin era is doomed to be a failure that will haunt the franchise until the end of time. Just embrace the tank, everything will be better soon, probably.

And if Leonsis checks and all the season ticket renewals are in for next season, and he says, "meh, try harder next year Oates and George"....

EVERY self respecting hockey knowledgeable Caps fan should be calling for their collective heads....

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
He's scored off the LW more then the right. I am really starting to question how much Oates had to do with Ovi's resurgence. Just got the PP going again gave Ovi his mojo back.

Oates didn't do **** besides craft a good PP. OV got OV's scoring touch back.

He should be back on the LW, he is more dynamic from that side.

Burakovsky95*

And if Leonsis checks and all the season ticket renewals are in for next season, and he says, "meh, try harder next year Oates and George"....

EVERY self respecting hockey knowledgeable Caps fan should be calling for their collective heads....

We should all as a forum each send one email to Ted. So he has to see that ****.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Firing Oates might well wake them up enough to get them in the playoffs still.
They're not going 11-4-0 or better with their schedule regardless of who is behind the bench. The defense is garbage and there's not enough time to substantially change tactics.

It's much easier for ownership not to kid themselves about this team and its management if they completely hit the skids from here on out.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

How many of those are left that aren't already doing so? Honest question, I'm pretty out of touch with the common fan since becoming a Washington ex-pat.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Seriously. All the people calling for management's collective heads need to chill out. There's nothing those guys can do to get this team into the playoffs and save their jobs, just like there's nothing a new administration could do right now that would make any difference. Missing the playoffs is inevitable, at which point either they're gone, or Ted loses all credibility, all hope is lost, and the Ovechkin era is doomed to be a failure that will haunt the franchise until the end of time. Just embrace the tank, everything will be better soon, probably.

The reason to fire this group now is not so we might make the playoffs. It's so the new GM and coach and get a running start into next year. They get to evaluate what they have now going into the draft and FA period and the new coach gets to instill his system now and see who he wants gone.

I don't believe this team is good enough to make the playoffs so even if they get lucky and do, they have no chance at making noise. If ownership is going to pull the plug on this management team then there is no point to waiting until the contract end. They're just wasting more time.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They're not going 11-4-0 or better with their schedule regardless of who is behind the bench. The defense is garbage and there's not enough time to substantially change tactics.

It's much easier for ownership not to kid themselves about this team and its management if they completely hit the skids from here on out.

What was the run the Boudreau led Caps went on? ;)

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
How many of those are left that aren't already doing so? Honest question, I'm pretty out of touch with the common fan since becoming a Washington ex-pat.

Already didn't renew mine from last season, and I'm glad i didn't. Went to one game this year and it just so happened to be the other night vs the yotes.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Caught the first and second period and this team just looks like they know the inevitable. Piss poor play, horrendous passing, turnovers out the ass, and no creativity. It's like Oates literally doesn't know hockey. Teams done. Seasons done. I hope we go full out Philadelphia 76ers for the rest of the season and get the best available pick

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What in the world makes anyone think they are going to fire Oates after his first full season?

What in the world makes anyone thing they are going to fire GMGM after 15+ seasons?

Those two will be back. The scary thing is, if they are going to make a core shaking move, Backstrom will be the one to go. Can't trade Ovy (face of franchise) or Green (no takers at that salary).

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
What in the world makes anyone think they are going to fire Oates after his first full season?

What in the world makes anyone thing they are going to fire GMGM after 15+ seasons?

Those two will be back. The scary thing is, if they are going to make a core shaking move, Backstrom will be the one to go. Can't trade Ovy (face of franchise) or Green (no takers at that salary).

McPhee's contract is up at the end of the season so they won't technically have to "fire" him just not extend his contract.

Green would have some takers despite his poor play. Other organizations have to notice that he isn't being used to his strengths. The problem is there aren't many good FA defensemen in next years class which means a hockey trade has to be made to upgrade the defense

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.

I would say Backstrom's not going anywhere, but I guess today Beagle could have been auditioning for the 1C role to test his chemistry with Ovi.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Oates didn't do **** besides craft a good PP. OV got OV's scoring touch back.

He should be back on the LW, he is more dynamic from that side.

He also sees the ice better on the left. His passes from RW are pretty awful, while his passing from LW are very good.

He has no moves on RW to get past defensemen.

There are next to no shooting angles when wingers are on their strong sides.

and I'll conclude this post as I do every one: Oates is a moron.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
The reason to fire this group now is not so we might make the playoffs. It's so the new GM and coach and get a running start into next year. They get to evaluate what they have now going into the draft and FA period and the new coach gets to instill his system now and see who he wants gone.

I don't believe this team is good enough to make the playoffs so even if they get lucky and do, they have no chance at making noise. If ownership is going to pull the plug on this management team then there is no point to waiting until the contract end. They're just wasting more time.

That makes sense. The counterpoint is that there are far more options for their replacements in the offseason. Personally, I'd like to go the 'Jim Nill' rout and hire someone who's been an assistant GM on a successful team (Jim Benning's my choice), and I'm not sure those guys would leave their teams during the season. There's no one who's presently unemployed that I'd be happy with as McPhee's successor. It would be the same thing on the coaching front if Laviolette weren't available. If McPhee's a lame duck, I'd be happy to bring in Laviolette now, but I can't see McPhee agreeing to that while there's still a chance for a miracle run.

The deadline is the 21st (for renewing or canceling season tickets)....

Already didn't renew mine from last season, and I'm glad i didn't. Went to one game this year and it just so happened to be the other night vs the yotes.

I was referring to the 'calling for their collective heads' part. Are there many fans who don't want to clean house? My dad's always been one of the hopelessly optimistic types, but even he's coming around finally. Is this season breaking through the last vestiges of optimism Caps fans had retained and turning them all into jaded misanthropes like us, or did I just rub off on my old man?

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
That makes sense. The counterpoint is that there are far more options for their replacements in the offseason. Personally, I'd like to go the 'Jim Nill' rout and hire someone who's been an assistant GM on a successful team (Jim Benning's my choice), and I'm not sure those guys would leave their teams during the season. There's no one who's presently unemployed that I'd be happy with as McPhee's successor. It would be the same thing on the coaching front if Laviolette weren't available. If McPhee's a lame duck, I'd be happy to bring in Laviolette now, but I can't see McPhee agreeing to that while there's still a chance for a miracle run.

I was referring to the 'calling for their collective heads' part. Are there many fans who don't want to clean house? My dad's always been one of the hopelessly optimistic types, but even he's coming around finally. Is this season breaking through the last vestiges of optimism Caps fans had retained and turning them all into jaded misanthropes like us, or did I just rub off on my old man?

Honestly when I run into complete strangers and talk Caps, they usually are harping the same things, green sucks at defense, our defense is garbage, we have no system, etc etc.. so yeah not just HF I hear it more often than before. I will always be a fan of this team, even without season tickets, but i'll be damned if I pay an ass load of money to watch this sad product, not to mention I live over an hour away.

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
I hope the Caps lose every single game for the rest of the year.

As a lifelong Caps fan... it's actually come to that.

It's the only way I can be pretty sure that they change management.

I just can't take it anymore.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009

I don't disagree with your point. I'm just of the opinion that even if you don't have an immediate successor in mind/place, it's time of GMGM to go.

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
If I was a Pens fan I would probably have but one feeling towards the Washington Capitals Organization.

It would be pity.

For the fans.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

We've been chilling out for almost 18 years with this GM, not counting the Poile years. GMGM made this mess along with Ted.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I don't disagree with your point. I'm just of the opinion that even if you don't have an immediate successor in mind/place, it's time of GMGM to go.

I guess they could go the interim GM route and then hire Lavy. But if it's true that McPhee's contract is up after this season, I wouldn't really mind waiting the extra month or so so Ted doesn't have to fire his friend, which is what I think will happen.

We've been chilling out for almost 18 years with this GM, not counting the Poile years. GMGM made this mess along with Ted.

And now it looks like he's finally messed up big enough that even his biggest supporter - Ted - will have to do something about it. Honestly, I'm happy right now. It's not official yet, but we know it's finally over. Relax.

Take a note from Kubrick's classic, Dr. Strangepuck or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Tank

NOAfcZx.jpg

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Btw- letting McPhees contract expire rather than ****-can him is such a sloppy, cowardly way to conduct business.

He should have been gone after any number of botches the last few years.

The cronyism and self-satisfaction has run rampant within the org for far too long and the result is what you see: an atrophied, regressing program run by the good old boy network.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I guess they could go the interim GM route and then hire Lavy. But if it's true that McPhee's contract is up after this season, I wouldn't really mind waiting the extra month or so so Ted doesn't have to fire his friend, which is what I think will happen.

And now it looks like he's finally messed up big enough that even his biggest supporter - Ted - will have to do something about it. Honestly, I'm happy right now. It's not official yet, but we know it's finally over. Relax.

Take a note from Kubrick's classic, Dr. Strangepuck or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Tank

NOAfcZx.jpg

Except no we don't. They could very easily play the injury card and say "Look at how many AHLers we had to play this year! Will be fine next year. Stick to the plan".

There's no hope because there's no certainty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad