GDT: Caps 2013 NHL Draft Thread

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
In a draft that some scouts thought was 40-60 deep in first round talent, I don't think it would have been a great move to give up at least a 2nd (which it took to move up two spots in the first) to get a player in likely the same tier. I'm actually more disappointed that they didn't move down.

As for the other moves, don't really like Bolland at his cap hit and think Kennedy is a dime-a-dozen bottom sixer. I would have been pissed at either one of those. Sekera, I'd give more thought, but it was a more significant haul than it took to get Ribeiro.

Yeah, I'll be very pissed if they don't make some significant moves to improve the team this offseason, but it's like a week over.

Get ready to be pissed.

We will obviously not resign Ribeiro.

I'm expecting a small swing and miss on Lecavalier.

I fully expect a dumpster dive add like a Wolski, and that's that. We will also not move Schultz. So not only will we add nothing, we will have a lot of wasted space count against the Cap (Sarge, Neuvy, Ward, Erskine, Chimera, Erat?, etc etc). That like 17mil -- or Crosby and Malkin-- on players that won't matter even a little bit towards winning a Stanley Cup.

Awesome??:sarcasm:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
''According to a Musketeers’ press release, NHL Central Scouting’s David Gregory classified Heinrich as, “a player with unbelievable skating, unbelievable puck handling and great hockey sense. He’s not afraid to be nasty and not afraid to step up and pop you. He’ll take advantage of you if you’re not thinking.''

About Blake Heinrich but that's from last October.

butters8814*

GMGM is becoming billy beane of hockey. Going for cheap players. But GMGM wont have a movie and a book after himself.

tmljeh19*

And there's 3 months to do them before the season starts.

You realize this exact thing is said year after year. And year after year we go into the season with the same team with a few scattered ****** 4th liners and press box D men. And another early playoff exit.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't think you understand the word "pursue."

Oddly enough, neither do the Caps?:sarcasm: "We offered him a fair deal....we can't force a player to take it. We thought 3 years/9mil overall should have gotten it done. So someone else offered him 5m a year....we were right there"

Yeah....never heard that before in the 15 freaking years George has been running the show.

Freaking idiot.

Fire George!

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Do you know what you are talking about, Billy beane goes for the cheap player. How GMGM is cheap.

Billy Beane uses analysis of advanced statistics to find affordable players that are undervalued by most of the sport. He does this because of a tight internal budget. He also doesn't sign his own players to expensive extensions due to this budget (see Hudson, Giambi, Mulder, etc.)

I am not aware of any trend of the Caps using advanced statistical analysis, pursuing undervalued players, or letting his best players go instead of paying them.

So in short, you haven't a clue who Billy Beane is.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Oddly enough, neither do the Caps?:sarcasm: "We offered him a fair deal....we can't force a player to take it. We thought 3 years/9mil overall should have gotten it done. So someone else offered him 5m a year....we were right there"

Yeah....never heard that before in the 15 freaking years George has been running the show.

Freaking idiot.

Fire George!

Pretty much.

Same story over and over.

tmljeh19*

I don't think you understand the word "pursue."

Well what's the point of "pursuing" if you aren't giving your all to sign him. So people like you can be all " look he's not that bad he really tried!"

butters8814*

I hope GMGM doesnt believe his bs, and thinks this team is set for the season coming up. Need a 2C, fix the D, and try to fix the third line.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Mike Vogel ‏@VogsCaps 4m
Steffan Soberg's lil bro Markus just went to Columbus in middle of sixth round. #Caps drafted goalie Steffan in 4th round in '11.

Mike Vogel ‏@VogsCaps 7m
Zach Sanford lists his vision and his hands as his best attributes, says he needs to work on his defensive zone play. Fave player is Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad