GDT: Caps 2013 NHL Draft Thread

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Sekera being available was originally as part of a trade involving the 5th and 8th picks.

Neither Bolland or Kennedy fill any needs.

Considering McPhee was talking to Vancouver after they acquired the 9th pick, I think we know what he was after. Moving from 23 to 9 is going to be costly. Really costly.

I think you are looking at this wrong....the guy *****ing about not moving up in the 1st wants GMGM to make the move so he can ***** about the price he paid to move up in the 1st

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
D-heavier overall than I would have thought, although they're all more D-first and that wasn't a real area of depth.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-that-crushed-it-at-the-nhl-scouting-combine/

Pictured here is Tyler Lewington, a defenseman from WHL Medicine Hat that finished No. 66 on Central Scouting’s 2013 NHL Draft rankings list.

That was before he worked out, though.

If fitness and strength tests are enough to adjust those rankings, then Lewington would be the guy to do it — he dominated a series of events at the recently completed NHL Scouting Combine.

The 6-foot-1, 189-pound Lewington finished atop the bench press competition (16 reps at 150 pounds), the push up competition (42), the push strength competition (341 pounds) and finished sixth in pull strength (296 pounds).

He was the only player at the combine to place first in more than one category.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Lewington0356.JPG

images

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...l-draft-top-forwards-red-line-report/2388455/
Zach Sanford/C-LW (Middlesex Islanders - Eastern Junior Hockey League): He's a bit under the radar because of lack of exposure, but Sanford has some of the most impressive physical tools of any forward in the draft. He possesses both a huge frame (6-3, 190 pounds) and blazing speed. As recently as one year ago, he was playing at the lowest conceivable level of competition in New Hampshire high school hockey, so he's still quite raw and a long-term projection. But he has immense upside and a much improved understanding after a season in the EJHL of what it means to compete hard on a consistent basis. He's an unselfish playmaker with very soft hands and great touch on his passes. Sanford came on like gangbusters down the stretch and in the EJHL playoffs after being moved into the middle, looking like a natural pivot after playing on the wing much of the season. Bottom line: Yes, he's raw, but he could be a home run pick.

n3ss

Nov 29, 2011
Hey.. I was at least partially right. We pick a former (kinda) NHLer's son, it's obviously too early to say if we got us a Gustafsson or if Vancouver got an Eberle... Time will tell. I will look back on this thread in a year or threee.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
OT: I've been maintaining the FA invites to dev camp threads in the prospects section.

Owen Sound twitter account just announced Tolchinsky to NYR camp, which conveniently - for any prospects at the draft - starts tomorrow. A few camps starting July 3-5, but NYR is the earliest of the known camps.

reminder Caps camp starts July 8 (players reporting on July 7 based on previous years)

Liberati0n*

I'm pretty weary of how it will turn out, but at least the first-rounder has upside. Everything about the first defenseman they picked sounds encouraging, and Sanford is a pretty intriguing player. Decent draft I guess? :dunno:

I wonder what player they were trying to move up for.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Sanford is NOT fast, nevermind blazing speed. Sometimes I wonder where these scouting reports come from. His skating is probably the #1 thing to work on. Very hard to knock off the puck with his long arms and legs though.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Lewington's an underrated pick IMO. Dominated the combine, top-100 in CSS and THN rankings. Great value for 7th round.

Gregah

Jan 29, 2009
Sanford

Bruins fan here.. I just wanted to jump in and say I love the Sanford pick for you guys. I've seen him play quite a bit over the last few years. He absolutely dominated NH highschool hockey. It was very obvious he did not belong there from a talent perspective and probably picked up some bad habits that carried over into his EJHL season. Once he adjusted, he started tearing up the EJ league. The upside on this kid is tremendous. He is a tall lanky athletic kid with great vision, soft hands, and a rocket of a shot. He has tremendous agility for such a big kid. Granted, he hasn't yet had to prove himself against stronger competition, but the size, skill and IQ are there. I disagree with the previous poster about his speed. He is a very good skater with good top-end speed. He doesn't look like he is flying out there because of his large frame but he can out skate just about anyone on the ice. I was hoping the B's would make a play for him.

The Consiglieri

Feb 19, 2007
Nice to not feel as outraged as I did in march. The twin hammer blows of losing what seemed like a lock top 3-5 pick in February, with pawning off Forsberg for scrap was somewhat mitigated w/the team at least not finishing mid first round. Now looking at the caps draft, it's actually ideal from my point of view.

1st round
Didn't take a fast faller like last year, but did take a guy who was very, very, very well thought of before he didn't get any minutes this past year. Loads of potential.

2nd round:

Bowey-maxed out value w/the best player available at pick.

Sanford: While perhaps rated a bit lower than the slot, was viewed by most as a guy with massive and legit long term upside. My kind of pick.

5th round:

Heinrich:

Landed a D that it sounds like should have gone a full 30-45 slots earlier, good value, and the scouting report sounds good.

6th round

Pinho:
Decent relative value, expected to go a bit higher than when we got him.

7th rounder:

Lewington
Sounds like a massive, just massive steal, basically a 2nd/3rd round caliber prospect thieved in the 7th round. Tremendous. Love the write ups.

All things considered, especially the 23 slot, I felt like we got massive slot value with 3 picks, tremendous upside and/or value with the Burankovsky/Sandford/Lewington picks, and didn't really make reaches for "what?!?!?" picks, or ho hum, adequate picks. It feels like we mixed prospects that were rated far higher than where we landed them, with prospects that housed tremendous long term upside/with question marks.

That's my kind of draft. Who knows if any of this turns out, but at least it was a good draft considering what was done, at slot, with each pick. I'm happy with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad