GDT: Caps 2013 NHL Draft Thread

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
Nope, not today. Won't waste my time for GMGM time. "We are happy with our team" is the statement I needed to not waste anymore time for this team.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Trade please. And please make sure the trade target has at least conference finals experience and didn't **** the bed. Do whatever the hell you want McPhee. Just don't get trade *****.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
That because we have GMGM at the helm.
Yeah, but at least with the draft they have Mahoney to lean on and seem to have some discipline. It's the one area where I retain optimism in terms of making good on opportunity (at least initially). In 2008 they had two first & second rounders so this year reminds me more on the surface of 2009. Hopefully they do as well or better in the first three rounds.

Sounds like McPhee is prepared to move up, stay put or move down based on their board. Way I see it there's a top 14 (McKenzie's top 14) and from there it's a matter of which eight are gone by their pick. Ottawa at 17 may be the earliest spot to trade up but I'm not sure anyone in that 15-19 group is worth moving up for. I'd think McKenzie's top 19 are likely to be gone by their pick.

From McKenzie's 20-30 group Erne, Hartman, Morrissey & Klimchuk seem like the best fits (as well as Zykov if it weren't for handedness).

@TSNBobMcKenzie: For 2nd round, panel is @GMillerTSN, @CraigJButton et moi. We'll bring you every pick in 2nd round with some analysis, as time permits.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: TSN will stay on air for entire duration of draft but from rounds 3 thru 7 will talk more about team/league happenings than actual picks.

Baby steps I guess. So annoying.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Hoping for Hartman or Horvat. Would love if Horvat, Zadorov or Morin dropped to us.

n3ss

Nov 29, 2011
I'm rooting for Curtis Lazar or Hartman. And maybe we trade Jeff Schultz.

Last edited:

Jedgi

Feb 12, 2008
Nurse or Shinkaruk if either falls. If not, Mantha. If not "reach" for Dickinson. Hartman also ok.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Yeah, but at least with the draft they have Mahoney to lean on and seem to have some discipline. It's the one area where I retain optimism in terms of making good on opportunity (at least initially). In 2008 they had two first & second rounders so this year reminds me more on the surface of 2009. Hopefully they do as well or better in the first three rounds.

Sounds like McPhee is prepared to move up, stay put or move down based on their board. Way I see it there's a top 14 (McKenzie's top 14) and from there it's a matter of which eight are gone by their pick. Ottawa at 17 may be the earliest spot to trade up but I'm not sure anyone in that 15-19 group is worth moving up for. I'd think McKenzie's top 19 are likely to be gone by their pick.

From McKenzie's 20-30 group Erne, Hartman, Morrissey & Klimchuk seem like the best fits (as well as Zykov if it weren't for handedness).

@TSNBobMcKenzie: For 2nd round, panel is @GMillerTSN, @CraigJButton et moi. We'll bring you every pick in 2nd round with some analysis, as time permits.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: TSN will stay on air for entire duration of draft but from rounds 3 thru 7 will talk more about team/league happenings than actual picks.

Baby steps I guess. So annoying.

@TSNBobMcKenzie But I've been assured if you're watching, you'll see/read each pick in draft as it's made tho talking heads may be discussing trades or UFA.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
@TSNBobMcKenzie But I've been assured if you're watching, you'll see/read each pick in draft as it's made tho talking heads may be discussing trades or UFA.

Glad you posted this, I was just tracking it down in my timeline to add, because it's good info.

OT: Maybe not for me since my tv is screwed up and I can't get the full screen to show and yes, I've unplugged the tv to try to re-set the screen size along with other options, nothing has worked in last month to get this fixed. will be extra annoying today since I lose text on all 4 sides.

Back to the draft and trades, so much chatter today, twitter adding to the increase as well as the fact that all the NHL is in one place and the cap lowering.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Glad you posted this, I was just tracking it down in my timeline to add, because it's good info.

OT: Maybe not for me since my tv is screwed up and I can't get the full screen to show and yes, I've unplugged the tv to try to re-set the screen size along with other options, nothing has worked in last month to get this fixed. will be extra annoying today since I lose text on all 4 sides.

Back to the draft and trades, so much chatter today, twitter adding to the increase as well as the fact that all the NHL is in one place and the cap lowering.

Strange issue. Do you use a set-top box? Do different TVs/monitors work?

Was glad to read that TSN note about seeing every pick. I'm going to go ahead and take credit for it since I know McKenzie reads HFBoards... :sarcasm:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Strange issue. Do you use a set-top box? Do different TVs/monitors work?

Was glad to read that TSN note about seeing every pick. I'm going to go ahead and take credit for it since I know McKenzie reads HFBoards... :sarcasm:

ha ha; in way OT news, it's a simple set-up and just one day stopped aligning correctly, no clue why; tried everything. My other tv died in the winter, so this is only option. Anyway, I was hoping to no avail that unplugging everything and restarting would help, but it hasn't.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Missed that. Good to know and a definite improvement.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I know we don't like Geroge, and I realize at best he's a flawed GM... but he's done pretty well at the draft in recent years. Some of you are overreating with this "omg GMGM draft sux!!!" BS.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I know we don't like Geroge, and I realize at best he's a flawed GM... but he's done pretty well at the draft in recent years. Some of you are overreating with this "omg GMGM draft sux!!!" BS.

Its more funny AnGus gets brought up so much... He also picked Carlson that day too..

Then ofc next day picked Holtby.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
One more draft note: This is a change from the 2005 CBA to the 2013 CBA for European-based players.

Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.​

So for 18/19yos: NA based players have rights for 2 years June 1; European based for 4 years June 1

As in the previous CBA, NCAA player rights rules are different, just noting this change for European-based drafted players (well, technically non-NA.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad