GDT: Caps 2013 NHL Draft Thread

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
you don't understand, this guy read a few blogs. He knows all about 18 year old prospects. The scouts that have spent thousands of hours watching these guys and decide on the picks(not GMGM) don't know ****.

Guy who played in the KHL or guy who plays in EJHL and his choice because he cannot get on the BC team right away is USHL.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Sanford was ranked #57 by THN and #53 by McKeen's

FYI: The Hockey Writers on Buchnevich

Based on offensive skill, Pavel Buchnevich would be a 1st or 2nd round pick. However, given his lack of drive and effort, coupled with “The Russian Factor”, he may see himself fall farther than he’d like in the draft.

no thanks

Sidenote: Hockey Prospectus had the Caps taking Burakovsky in their mock

Last edited:

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Speaking of Russians, I was hoping Slepyshev would still be around in one of the later rounds, Edm got him though.. He was eligible last year also.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Sanford was ranked #57 by THN and #53 by McKeen's

FYI: The Hockey Writers on Buchnevich

no thanks

A talented forward with an elite skillset and penchant for highlight reel goals, Kuznetsov has three main question marks – consistency, maturity and the above mentioned Russian Roulette Factor. He is an explosive skater with great hands who might just be the most talented Russian in this year’s draft.

:rolleyes:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
‏@TheFourthPeriod: Capitals GM George McPhee said they tried hard to move up in the 1st round, obviously didn't work out.

Shiny, shiny.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
But yes you are right...

A native of Nizhnekamsk, the town that produced Nail Yakupov, Yakimov is a prototypical power forward centerman. He’s big. He’s physical. He’s willing to battle in the major traffic lanes to score. His game is not without warts, though. He could be a better skater and he lacks elite play-making ability. But he’s arguably more consistent than a lot of players, lacking huge peaks to his game but lacking massive valleys.

Clearly THW has it right, Yakimov is low risk and Buchnevich is high risk. Skating and good hands, who needs those?

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Carrera made it sound like it was moving in to top-10 at least. Would've likely been hard from 23 without creating a hole somewhere.

@kcarrera: McPhee said #Caps tried to move up in first round but rarely does a team with a top pick want to drop all the way to No. 23.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Still a number of solid character type centers available in Wallmark, Dunn, Malone, Chase and Cave as the fifth round gets under way.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Addition:

RLR on Sanford, Ranked #3 in Mid-round sleepers worth a look: Playing Tier II hockey makes him harder to evaluate, but his combination of great size and speed is too good to pass up, no matter how raw or far away he is.

(I'm beginning to think RLR thinks Sanford is raw. Just a hunch.)

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Didn't he just move up to get an additional second rounder?

I don't see the point of *****ing unless you know the price.

Yeah, fine. He moved up for the 61st pick. But there's always a price he's not willing to pay (except Forsberg for Erat, which is just the exception that proves the rule), while others make savvy moves: Sakera, Bolland and Kennedy were acquired, just by way of example. I just want to see some real change in this org and it doesn't happen.

I'm frustrated, what can I say?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah, fine. He moved up for the 61st pick. But there's always a price he's not willing to pay (except Forsberg for Erat, which is just the exception that proves the rule), while others make savvy moves: Sakera, Bolland and Kennedy were acquired, just by way of example. I just want to see some real change in this org and it doesn't happen.

Sekera being available was originally as part of a trade involving the 5th and 8th picks.

Neither Bolland or Kennedy fill any needs.

Considering McPhee was talking to Vancouver after they acquired the 9th pick, I think we know what he was after. Moving from 23 to 9 is going to be costly. Really costly.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

In a draft that some scouts thought was 40-60 deep in first round talent, I don't think it would have been a great move to give up at least a 2nd (which it took to move up two spots in the first) to get a player in likely the same tier. I'm actually more disappointed that they didn't move down.

As for the other moves, don't really like Bolland at his cap hit and think Kennedy is a dime-a-dozen bottom sixer. I would have been pissed at either one of those. Sekera, I'd give more thought, but it was a more significant haul than it took to get Ribeiro.

Yeah, I'll be very pissed if they don't make some significant moves to improve the team this offseason, but it's like a week over.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@VogsCaps: #Caps were active in trying to move up. Had Burakovsky not been there, they would have traded No. 23 for picks, according to GMGM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad