GDT: Capitals @ Redwings March 16th, 2011 7:30pm

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
With the amount of talent they have, from top to bottom, more so than any other team in the East, IMO, they should NOT now be in the position that they are fighting Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh and Tampa for the top playoff spot. They should be well in front of all those teams by now. Their performance during the early and mid part of the season was way to inconsistent for Boudreau to merit consideration for the Adams trophy. Now if they were giving out awards for best GMs, on the other hand...

You seriously believe that the team is so much more talented than everyone else in the league that not winning the Eastern Conference two years in row by huge margin is failure? As in, even if we still won the conference, unless the Caps win by 10 or so points, Bruce didn't coach them well enough in the regular season?

For perspective, there hasn't been a back to back 1 seed in the East since the Southeast Division has even existed.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Me neither.

Having seen Snyder run with that mindset and completely ruin the Skins year after year, I actually love the fact that Leonsis has shown patience.

You show patience in drafting and developing players and to an extent coaching stability w/regards to the build. That's where you show it. You don't let a team with elite talent continually fail in the playoffs.

There's not an NFL team in the league that would let a guy fail 4 years a row in the postseason outside of the Eagles and Andy Reid; and I don't think that's something they want to emulate.

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
You show patience in drafting and developing players and to an extent coaching stability w/regards to the build. That's where you show it. You don't let a team with elite talent continually fail in the playoffs.

There's not an NFL team in the league that would let a guy fail 4 years a row in the postseason outside of the Eagles and Andy Reid; and I don't think that's something they want to emulate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cowher#Head_coaching_record

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belicheck#Head_coaching_record

http://espn.go.com/nfl/coaches/_/id/35/tom-coughlin

Or if you want guys who have never won a championship...I mean...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/coaches/_/id/59/ken-whisenhunt
http://espn.go.com/nfl/coaches/_/id/38/lovie-smith

I can keep going

http://espn.go.com/nfl/coaches/_/id/5/jack-del-rio

http://espn.go.com/nfl/coaches/_/id/44/norv-turner

One that JUST got fired...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/coaches/_/id/12/jeff-fisher

Also, so far Bruce has only lost in 3 postseasons, not 4 but I'll assume you meant after this year.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
Huh? Before the Tampa game, everyone said that was our big test on the road. Then we won, so suddenly it wasn't. Then the Blackhawks? A well rested, Cup champion team having won 8 of 10..beating them wasn't a test? Montreal was supposed to be a test..on the road?

I mean really, who do the Caps have to beat to get any credit? If the Caps win tonight will the excuse be well, Detroit's coming off a 4-game losing streak and a couple mediocre-looking wins over losing teams? If the Caps beat NJ will it be because NJ was due to cool off at some point? The Flyers? They haven't looked good.

I don't get it.

:laugh: Great post.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Pop your ritalin, breathe, relax, breathe :laugh:

Detroit is the best opponent they've had in a long time, just leave it at that

That's debatable. Detroit needed OT to squeak by the same Edmonton team the Caps destroyed. They are certainly very good, but I don't know about the best they've played in a long time. The Caps have beaten some good hockey teams lately.

Just cause they have the winged wheel on the sweater doesn't mean they're automatically a juggernaut. They really haven't been playing well recently.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
wow....you guys are going off the rails again. the team is on a 9 game winning streak standing 1pt off the conference lead and this conversation is happening? are you kidding me? i mean...seriously???

Robert Theodorson

Apr 27, 2010
Washington DC
Just cause they have the winged wheel on the sweater doesn't mean they're automatically a juggernaut. They really haven't been playing well recently.

They by far have the best individual players we have faced in a long time, our shutdown lines will go against Datsyuk & Zetterberg and our offense will have to play against Lidstrom, Kronwall, and Raffy, it will be an excellent show.

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
We all knew the regular season was going to be horrible to get through, regardless of how the team did. Everyone called it before the season.

Well, here it is, and has been. At least its almost over.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Man I am excited to watch this game tonight. I know the Boys are injured at this time, but they played hard in the 3rd period against the Habs and I am interested to see how they perform tonight in front of their rightful #1 goalie (Neuvy is playing right??) against a legit Cup contender.

I'll take a loss so long as they continue to show their new found 3rd period fight.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Jackie McMullin, on PTI, just called the collection of Habs fans that were protesting head shots "a bunch of Yahoo's". :laugh:

I Am The Mole

DERPINGTON DERPITALS
May 3, 2010
Lexington Park, MD
Howard is a sieve. Beating Lidstrom and Kronwall won't be easy, but once we do, Howard is a sieve.

EDIT: Can't forget Pavs and Zetterberg, two of the best defensive forwards in the game are nothing to sneeze at.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Sucks that we are getting all these injuries during our stretch run. Difference between first place and second/third is huge -- 1) first round opponent should be pretty easy, 2) assuming the top 3 seeds advance, Philly and Boston get to beat each other up in the second round, while we would face a hobbled Pittsburgh or a flawed Tampa team (or somebody else equally as weak). We really need to secure that top spot.

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Sucks that we are getting all these injuries during our stretch run. Difference between first place and second/third is huge -- 1) first round opponent should be pretty easy, 2) assuming the top 3 seeds advance, Philly and Boston get to beat each other up in the second round, while we would face a hobbled Pittsburgh or a flawed Tampa team (or somebody else equally as weak). We really need to secure that top spot.

If 1 gets NJ, it's no gift

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX

Well, you know what would happen if we get the Devils in round one and beat them easily. People here will say well NJ was burnt out from their long run to the postseason and were bound to collapse sometime...and the Caps will still get no credit.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
Well, you know what would happen if we get the Devils in round one and beat them easily. People here will say well NJ was burnt out from their long run to the postseason and were bound to collapse sometime...and the Caps will still get no credit.

Other people's opinions don't matter if you can get a Cup. That's all that matters.

Robert Theodorson

Apr 27, 2010
Washington DC

They will get an injection of Parise for the playoffs and will be the team nobody wants to play. Having said that they have collapsed epically to teams post-lockout. The Carolina-Jersey series Game 7 a few years back was the biggest choke job I've ever seen in hockey

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

We really need to stop being scared as Caps fans and have some damn confidence in our team. We need to RESPECT a couple of teams: Boston, Philly, Tampa and Pitt (if healthy). Everybody else we will smash, and we need start believing it.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
They will get an injection of Parise for the playoffs and will be the team nobody wants to play. Having said that they have collapsed epically to teams post-lockout. The Carolina-Jersey series Game 7 a few years back was the biggest choke job I've ever seen in hockey

That was a collapse, and last year they were almost literally asleep and let the Flyers walk all over them. Before I start worrying about the Devils I'll wait and see if they actually make the playoffs. Despite their supersonic run they still have to be almost perfect down the stretch to make it in. If they can keep that up, more power to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad