GDT: Capitals @ Redwings March 16th, 2011 7:30pm

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
worthy? whats worthy mean? chicago isnt? montreal and tampa bay on the road are not worth? rested detroit at home while the caps are on a back to back is beyond worthy. its an uphill climb for anyone.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
have friends in the mustang program at Ford and at Ford Racing. Michigan is great. Too damn freaking cold, but no reason to bust on it.

boudreau for the adams. any team this close to winning their conference with 3 rookie goalies, 2 rookie shutdown defensemen, and 2 rookie centers. would have to be considered for the adams. or the team was the most explosive offensive team in the league last season and has changed its style to be one of the top defensive teams would have to earn the same recognition.

that the team has become a top defensive team with half or more of its primary defensive players being rookies, thats insane. with the rest being top end offensive one way players.....unconsious. but since its bruce boudreau, its most just confusing.

With the amount of talent they have, from top to bottom, more so than any other team in the East, IMO, they should NOT now be in the position that they are fighting Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh and Tampa for the top playoff spot. They should be well in front of all those teams by now. Their performance during the early and mid part of the season was way to inconsistent for Boudreau to merit consideration for the Adams trophy. Now if they were giving out awards for best GMs, on the other hand...

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Detroit's only weakness is goaltending, so shoot a lot. This will be a great test for us, there has not been a worthy opponent presented in quite some time.

Huh? Before the Tampa game, everyone said that was our big test on the road. Then we won, so suddenly it wasn't. Then the Blackhawks? A well rested, Cup champion team having won 8 of 10..beating them wasn't a test? Montreal was supposed to be a test..on the road?

I mean really, who do the Caps have to beat to get any credit? If the Caps win tonight will the excuse be well, Detroit's coming off a 4-game losing streak and a couple mediocre-looking wins over losing teams? If the Caps beat NJ will it be because NJ was due to cool off at some point? The Flyers? They haven't looked good.

I don't get it.

Burgh32

Aug 15, 2005
S.J
I'm having my doubts on how Boudreau is handling this goalie situation. First, Neuvirth gets rusty after long breaks in playing time, that's his thing, he's stronger the more often he plays. Second, Holtby has had a nice run, but Neuvirth should have earned the right to be your playoff goalie at this point, and Holtby's play should not be changing that. Braden belongs with the Bears this year. Finally, we all know what's going to happen. If Neuvirth loses tonight, he's going back to Holtby and the goalie carousel will spin. Throw in Varlamov's return and we're going to go into the playoffs with three goalies who don't know where they stand.

That's the worst case, but it's entirely likely.

I'll give BB more credit than that. I really think that he's going to settle on one goalie (Neuvy) for the final stretch run to the playoffs here. Holt70 is going back back down as soon as Varly is healthy enough for backup duty.

Vladiator16*

My 2 cents In regards to Jack Adams: If NJ gets in, it’s Lemaire, If they don’t, Tippett or Vigneault.

Also, I don’t see a problem in the way BB handled our goalie situation: goalie A gets hurt, goalie B comes in and plays out of his mind, goalie B gets hurt, goalie C comes in, and goes on in credible run. What’s the problem? How else should he handle it?
Now, when goalie A gets healthy again and plays few games like he can, and goalie B feels like he was a back bone of this team for majority of the season, and goalie C thinks that he deserved a shot after a run like he had (technically he is still on it), then I think it might get tricky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Fehr, buddy. Fehr. Arnott and Fehr are out. the spares were beagle and king

Forgot that Fehr got hurt. :(

With the amount of talent they have, from top to bottom, more so than any other team in the East, IMO, they should NOT now be in the position that they are fighting Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh and Tampa for the top playoff spot. They should be well in front of all those teams by now. Their performance during the early and mid part of the season was way to inconsistent for Boudreau to merit consideration for the Adams trophy. Now if they were giving out awards for best GMs, on the other hand...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=528290

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Any updates on Fehr. Is it just a stinger and taking extra precautions with him?

Robert Theodorson

Apr 27, 2010
Washington DC
worthy? whats worthy mean? chicago isnt? montreal and tampa bay on the road are not worth? rested detroit at home while the caps are on a back to back is beyond worthy. its an uphill climb for anyone.

Pop your ritalin, breathe, relax, breathe :laugh:

Detroit is the best opponent they've had in a long time, just leave it at that

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
“I think that’s the 800-pound gorilla in the room and I empathize with how everyone feels with that,†Leonsis said. “I haven’t put Stanley Cup or bust on this year. I don’t think that is an honest way to look at the team, because anything can happen in the playoffs – health, luck, officiating, how you play.

“Certainly everyone internally knows, though, if we don’t do better than we did last year it would be a failure,†Leonsis continued. “Having playoff success is important for the franchise, but it’s not a Sword of Damocles where this is the year or we’re blowing the team up.â€

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/ted-leonsis-its-not-stanley-cup-or-bust-this-year-for-capitals/2011/03/16/ABZUFEf_blog.html

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
I "our defenseman sucks worse than your defenseman" thread on the main boards is awesome.

Ledba was seriously a -3 during a 9-3 win!!???? That's just pure awesomeness.

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

I'm not sure what to make of this article other than it sounds an awful lot like he's giving them an out a month before the playoffs.

What's the upside of even saying this?

Regardless of what he says, if they lose in the 1st or 2nd a lot of people are going to and should give up on certain players and coaches. It doesn't take a Championship nucleus 5+ years to figure it out.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Pop your ritalin, breathe, relax, breathe :laugh:

Detroit is the best opponent they've had in a long time, just leave it at that

Unless your team has been playing bottom feeders and bubble teams, i doubt that.

Detroit has not been in the right mindset to win hockey games the way their talent says they should. The offense is sparse, the defense is non existent and the goaltending isn't stealing any games.

If Detroit plays the way they have lately, the Capitals should have a good win ahead of them. If not, we just may have a close hockey game.

Good luck tonight.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm not sure what to make of this article other than it sounds an awful lot like he's giving them an out a month before the playoffs.

What's the upside of even saying this?

Regardless of what he says, if they lose in the 1st or 2nd a lot of people are going to and should give up on certain players and coaches. It doesn't take a Championship nucleus 5+ years to figure it out.

As soon as I read that article I knew that certain posters around here were not going to be happy with Leonsis' patient/realistic approach.

I don't get the whole regardless of the circumstances 'win or significant heads should roll' way of thinking but to each his own.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
As soon as I read that article I knew that certain posters around here were not going to be happy with Leonsis' patient/realistic approach.

I don't get the whole regardless of the circumstances 'win or significant heads should roll' way of thinking but to each his own.

Me neither.

Having seen Snyder run with that mindset and completely ruin the Skins year after year, I actually love the fact that Leonsis has shown patience.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland

I feel like everything Leonsis said should go without saying, should be obvious. So the fact that he actually said that could maybe be inferred as meaning something.

Now the big question is what does it mean. Is it a pre-emptive signal that jobs are safer than some fans expect (or hope)? Is it a simple catch-all answer to the common pre-playoff questions? Leonsis has shown he can be a bit grumpy this season, so maybe he's trying to dial things back before the playoffs start.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
The article means nothing. The future of all individuals will be evaluated by the totality of the season including various outcomes of the playoffs. However it does show that Ted is leaning towards everlasting patience.

One thing is certain, and that's change.

edit: yeah brs I agree it could mean he's trying to dial back the pressure from management and allow the team to be at ease... well, as much at ease as possible. I'd like to think that BB and GMGM both know where they stand with Ted and that these quotes are about the players. Allow the players stress to come from BB. Allow the players to "know" that BB is they're leader and there's no other recourse.... as if that's needed now. However. History of this org makes me wonder how much these guys do actually communicate!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad