News: Cap Concerns Reason for No Trades - Cap Could Be As Low As 80M

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Deals have to happen today . Early 2nds seem valuable and the cap will Be set right ?

I don’t get how this is an excuse when early in the week a few trades went

Feb 24, 2017
I can

I can tell you I’m not watching past the 2nd round lol ... oh well if there isn’t but I don’t remember a lot of actual player picks

Schenn a few years back ?
Which team do you like? How did you like the pick your team made today?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Deals have to happen today . Early 2nds seem valuable and the cap will Be set right ?

I don’t get how this is an excuse when early in the week a few trades went

The NHLPA has to decide on the 5% escalator
This is the longest they have taken

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
How the hell do you go so close to July 1st and not have a cap number set? How are GM's suppose to make moves not knowing what the cap is?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
How can the PA be holding it up?
Back in 2006 after a long lockout, the league and players came to an agreement. They would share 50% of the revenue, and teams would revenue share with each other.

50% revenue sharing is locked. It's carved in stone. It's non negotiable. You have to remember this for the next part to make sense:

In order to properly balance exactly 50%, the players have to put a significant amount of money into a joint holding called 'Escrow'.

The second part is that the players are given the option to instill a salary escalator (which they foolishly did every year). The cap went up due to the players electing to use a 'cap escalator' to artificially increase the cap.

So as the cap went up, the players escrow contributions went up, as did the owners keeping more and more of the escrow payments.

So back in 2006, a $10million contract meant you took somewhere around $9.5 million home.

In 2019, a $10million contract might mean they're only taking $8million home.

The players artificially inflated their own salaries for a higher cap hit. Which resulted in inflation of their own salaries.

But the players forgot their salary is still tied to 50% of league revenue. And that escrow payment is skyrocketing carving out a monumental portion of their salary.

Now that the escrow payment is out of control. This might be the first time in years they elect NOT to use the salary escalator.

That's how the PA is holding it up.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The league and the PA really need to get their $hit together, to have this number ready for the draft....most people are saying the PA are holding this up, so........?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Back in 2006 after a long lockout, the league and players came to an agreement. They would share 50% of the revenue, and teams would revenue share with each other.

50% revenue sharing is locked. It's carved in stone. It's non negotiable. You have to remember this for the next part to make sense:

In order to properly balance exactly 50%, the players have to put a significant amount of money into a joint holding called 'Escrow'.

The second part is that the players are given the option to instill a salary escalator (which they foolishly did every year). The cap went up due to the players electing to use a 'cap escalator' to artificially increase the cap.

So as the cap went up, the players escrow contributions went up, as did the owners keeping more and more of the escrow payments.

So back in 2006, a $10million contract meant you took somewhere around $9.5 million home.

In 2019, a $10million contract might mean they're only taking $8million home.

The players artificially inflated their own salaries for a higher cap hit. Which resulted in inflation of their own salaries.

But the players forgot their salary is still tied to 50% of league revenue. And that escrow payment is skyrocketing carving out a monumental portion of their salary.

Now that the escrow payment is out of control. This might be the first time in years they elect NOT to use the salary escalator.

That's how the PA is holding it up.
Thanks...this explains alot...but if they hit their revenue numbers, the players get their escrow back? Right?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
The reports dont make any sense.

Its fake news.

Invoking the escalator clause is meant to increase the salary cap, thus allowing more money spent in free agency, BUT also increase player escrow.

It wouldnt have a negative effect on the already rough estimate of the 81.5-82m range which wad allegedly estimated without the clause invoked.

At least that has always been MY understanding.

Now should that estimate had been made WITH the clause included then I can see issues, but I dont believe it was.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
This is just one of many reasons why the nhl struggles overall compared to other major sports league's.

The NHL is living in fantasy land with its anemic salary cap in today's market.

Everyone point is valid , the salary cap should be locked down in mid December, early January period this way the league and players can just continue on with the game and business with ease.

The season in itself (Regular) ended April 6th that was almost 3 months ago and everyone knew whom was the top draft choice then but the league doesn't know it's salary cap yet even after the 1st day of the draft?

That's ridiculous not to mention the league can not survive if teams can not field a great on ice product and are more worried about trying to stay under a number that doesn't reflect reality.

Buyouts and eliminate guaranteed contracts also raise the ceiling to a number that is more honest in today's market.

The other point I'd like to make is Arizona was just sold again ? That team has been awful ever since they moved from Winnipeg, the league was carrying the team all while in bankruptcy just a few years ago.

Maybe it's time for the NHL to stop handing out teams to unworthy investors and instead of adding another market like Seattle fix the Arizona market or eliminate it from the league.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Why are people worried about trades? At most on draft day it should be pick for picks. That's all that eveever happens in the NFL and the ratings are higher for that then some sports playoff games for christ sakes.

Stop bitching about it being boring I actually watch to learn about the prospects entering the league and trying to pick who I think is worth while to watch hoping to see then as a star one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad