News: Cap Concerns Reason for No Trades - Cap Could Be As Low As 80M

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So the NHLPA delays the final number, then the cap is announced on the same day that pending UFAs can meet with other teams (but no formal offers)?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Why are people blaming the NHL for this? It's the PA that's holding this cap number back. Bettman was on Toronto radio before the draft and he certainly wasn't happy that we didn't know the cap number before the draft.
Why is it the player's obligation to come to a decision before the given deadline just to make fans who like trades happy (even though last year there was 1 whole trade on day 1)?

This is a non-issue. It would be like selling your house and getting mad a the buyer for not reporting to the closing a day early.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Why are people blaming the NHL for this? It's the PA that's holding this cap number back. Bettman was on Toronto radio before the draft and he certainly wasn't happy that we didn't know the cap number before the draft.
League blaming the other side? Shocking.

Just because the NHL is waiting on the NHLPA to get back to them doesn't automatically make it the fault of the NHLPA. They have a set process to go through to determine their course of action, that process takes time. The reason we're waiting for the NHLPA is almost certainly because the NHL gave them the figures so late.

Could the NHL have given the PA the numbers earlier? Probably not... but the sole reason for that would be because the League decides to play the Stanley Cup Finals into mid-June. If things were scheduled so that the latest the season could end was the start of June then we'd all know the number right now.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
D9E6DCA5-9913-43FA-A154-EC0D1E26DF9C.gif

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Shouldn't the ****ing leauge have figured this out... I dont know before the draft???
Maybe teams are slow reporting their HRR . Plus the the players can control the cap to a certain extent by going with low escrow hold backs . The players care about their take home dollars today they don’t like a hold backs

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Two things.

If the NHL is having so much trouble projecting/recording HRR, they should base the cap off the previous seasons playoffs and the next seasons regular season....that would give them the whole of the current playoffs to calculate HRR every year.

Second, the league should provide some sort of incentive to make trades on the first day of the draft. It is the most focused moment of the summer for casual and die-hard fans/media, so why not try and drive the interest level even higher.

Perhaps for the duration of the 1st round, teams should be able to retain a certain % of a players salary without it impacting the cap. Say 10-20%. Or some other benefit should exist to try and encourage teams to make deals in the time window of the first round.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why are people worried about trades? At most on draft day it should be pick for picks. That's all that eveever happens in the NFL and the ratings are higher for that then some sports playoff games for christ sakes.

Stop *****ing about it being boring I actually watch to learn about the prospects entering the league and trying to pick who I think is worth while to watch hoping to see then as a star one day.

That's like saying "You eat pie for the pie. Why would I want ice cream with it?".

I mean yeah, ultimately the pie is the goal, and you can eat it without ice cream and still enjoy it. Doesn't mean a nice scoop on top doesn't make it a whole lot better.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Exactly. Lol

*Leafs

**Raptors

But yeah no Canadian teams or Pittsburgh in round 2, no Habs in the playoffs, no Buffalo or Minnesota...no bueno for ratings except for Boston in the finals.

Instead of acting smug, look at the numbers. Canada's viewership of the NBA finals dwarfed Canada's viewership of the NHL finals.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Good job league.
not really, they will just change the rules to help the teams, I can see the Leafs just leafing Marleau and Zaits on the roster, not ending up cap compliant and the NHL will allow Marleau to just go away

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If true.... we're so ****ed lol

This cap situation is bush league, decide this right after the season ends so teams can know their situations and actually make trades at the draft
At this point I say screw it, If we suffer you all suffer, no more $$ from Leaf fans lets drop the cap so every one suffers.

The NHL can't fix this, teams have to dump cap but no teams are taking cap soooo I say call the NHL's bluff. Go in non compliant and get the Habs and Rangers on board. The NHL would fold like a wet noodle to the pressure of its 3 biggest markets. I say go 60/40 instead of 0/50 till this gets worked out.

Or at minimum if the cap comes in a 80 offer 2 free buyouts to each teram

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Two things.

If the NHL is having so much trouble projecting/recording HRR, they should base the cap off the previous seasons playoffs and the next seasons regular season....that would give them the whole of the current playoffs to calculate HRR every year.

Second, the league should provide some sort of incentive to make trades on the first day of the draft. It is the most focused moment of the summer for casual and die-hard fans/media, so why not try and drive the interest level even higher.

Perhaps for the duration of the 1st round, teams should be able to retain a certain % of a players salary without it impacting the cap. Say 10-20%. Or some other benefit should exist to try and encourage teams to make deals in the time window of the first round.

I’m pretty sure the Rangers dealt a 1st to get Trouba

Maybe the draft is so weak that dealing picks was not worth it beyond the top 10... when you have a guy 15 and another team has him 45.

Teams are not going to trade picks when there is no urgency to land a prospect

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
That's ridiculous not to mention the league can not survive if teams can not field a great on ice product and are more worried about trying to stay under a number that doesn't reflect reality.

The easy solution is for teams to invest in great scouts so they can draft well and not handout ludicrous contracts that cripple them long-term. The Kevin Hayes contract is an example. Same with Lucic, Clarkson, MacDonald, Phaneuf, etc.

Teams that spend like drunken sailors create a snowball effect for the league as other teams follow suit. Blame the teams. Simple. This is why there is constantly a work stoppage threat and measures need to be put in place to offer teams cap relief.

It's like people getting in over their heads with credit card debt then filing for bankruptcy.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Teams could have still made trades if they were interested. Maybe not all teams, but teams in cap trouble speaking with teams that aren't could have.
More than likely the reason for such little movement yesterday was because teams primarily valued 1st rd picks to build from within with. Just a guess is all.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
You can't ever criticizes things you like, right?

I agree with you.

The worst thing anyone can do is NOT speak up when they find fault in things they care about. That's called apathy.

At the end of the day, the NHL exists because fans are willing to pay money, and dedicate their time, to the league or their favorite teams. As paying customers we have a right to voice our opinions when we don't like something.

Being silent, and just accepting everything the league or your favorite team does, right or wrong is dangerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad