News: Cap Concerns Reason for No Trades - Cap Could Be As Low As 80M

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The NHL has always lacked the ability to generate public interest. Say what you will about a league like the NBA but they're masters of creating hype knowing they'll never be as big as the NFL or MLB. The NHL has pretty much stomped out the flames of big names leaving via free agency or trades. There should be 10 times the amount of trades at the NHL draft.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I'm gonna scream BS.

For the last 3ish years, there has always been tons and tons of rumors that lead up to nothing at the draft table.

The talk has always been for show for the ratings, and hope of upping the value of some players.

boogeybendo

Dec 18, 2017
The fact that the league didn’t have a set cap number headed into the draft is a ****ing joke.

This is why the NHL takes a backseat to the NFL/NBA.
Pretty sure there's a bunch of other reasons as well.

I agree that it should have been set prior to the draft, though.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm gonna scream BS.

For the last 3ish years, there has always been tons and tons of rumors that lead up to nothing at the draft table.

The talk has always been for show for the ratings, and hope of upping the value of some players.

TSN said there were 16 players traded last year in trades on Draft Friday.

This year, 0.

This isn’t a normal year. Something wonky is happening

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Guys it is not that hard to figure out the delay. Every GM has employed staff members looking in all chair and couch cushions for any and all loose change to make the cap go up to the number they need!

Reactions: Cotton

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The NHL has always lacked the ability to generate public interest. Say what you will about a league like the NBA but they're masters of creating hype knowing they'll never be as big as the NFL or MLB. The NHL has pretty much stomped out the flames of big names leaving via free agency or trades. There should be 10 times the amount of trades at the NHL draft.

This. Even if the OP report is false (which likely it is), the NHL seems to always miss out on these obvious marketing opportunities because of not planning ahead. Trades draw in interest. Trades during the draft would be tremendous publicity. But no, the NHL can't even do that right by not making sure the cap is set prior to the draft.

Reactions: Coach Parker

1FreakZilla3

Jan 2, 2014
Oshawa
According to Bob Murray.

The players may have opted to use none of the escalator this season, which means the cap may be 80M, not the 81.5-82M as believe the last couple of days.

There was no movement because GM’s aren’t sure where it will fall.

there was a trade , arizona and philly :)

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
If true.... we're so f***ed lol

This cap situation is bush league, decide this right after the season ends so teams can know their situations and actually make trades at the draft

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The fact that the league didn’t have a set cap number headed into the draft is a ****ing joke.

This is why the NHL takes a backseat to the NFL/NBA.

Clearly has nothing to do with the high cost of entry or NFL/NBA/MLB being ingrained in American culture

Reactions: CasusBelli

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Shouldn't the f***ing leauge have figured this out... I dont know before the draft???

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So trying to sensationalize every single event backfired? Free agency? Trade deadline? The entry and expansion drafts? The NHL awards? My heart weeps for Bettman. The draft was enough for me.

As for the cap, roll it back to sixty, lock it in, see how teams adapt. The market goes up and down. Being "down" to 80 is still up 5 million, isn't it?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Where are those guys from before who kept telling people that GM's were stupid and just operate thinking that the cap was 82? That cost certainty and operating knowing your budget was stupid? I really wish those warriors show up again and tell us what crow tastes like.

Reactions: wintersej

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
The way the expected cap number has been going lately, a report will come out in a day or two suggesting the cap could be as low as 39 million.

Reactions: biotk

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Why are people blaming the NHL for this? It's the PA that's holding this cap number back. Bettman was on Toronto radio before the draft and he certainly wasn't happy that we didn't know the cap number before the draft.

Yeah... it’s not Bettmans fault the NHLPA is figuring out what to do with the escalator

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Reactions: Coach Parker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad