Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Curtis Lazar to 3-Year, $3M Deal ($1M AAV)

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
What? That makes no sense to anybody.
Not being able to understand that Benning overpaid for junk bottom six roles that provably could be filled with cheap contracts isn't surprising given your defence of Benning all those years.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Not being able to understand that Benning overpaid for junk bottom six roles that provably could be filled with cheap contracts isn't surprising given your defence of Benning all those years.
I meant that everybody across the board agrees that we we’re paying g too much for 4th liners.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I like the Ilya signing, this one meh, at least it's cheap but not expecting much, seems like a Dickinson replacement maybe....

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I meant that everybody across the board agrees that we we’re paying g too much for 4th liners.
Don't see everyone across the board saying that Lazar or Joshua are too much...they're both buriable contracts if they don't pan out, so being around or slightly above the minimum is hardly an overpayment.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
after watching all the term getting handed out in extensions for young players i think the league is expecting major cap growth. maybe we are the ones who wanted to give term here.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Don't see everyone across the board saying that Lazar or Joshua are too much...they're both buriable contracts if they don't pan out, so being around or slightly above the minimum is hardly an overpayment.
No we are not paying too much for them. Everybody across the board agrees with that.

It does, actually.
I meant that everybody including Benning supporters, agree that we were paying too much for 4th liners.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
after watching all the term getting handed out in extensions for young players i think the league is expecting major cap growth. maybe we are the ones who wanted to give term here.

I looked this up earlier today and the expectation is it’ll go up by 2m for next season but beyond that there’s no good indication of when it’ll return to its normal year over year growth.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
The players still owe the owners around 400m dollars from the covid seasons I think. Cap is staying flat for 2-3 years last I read

Reactions: Vector

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yup, fine with that. This is a lower AAV than I expected, and the sort of signing that Benning would have given $2 million to.

This makes the Lammikko non-QO make more sense.

Solid 4th line C, but doesn't have any upward mobility in the lineup. Deal ends when he's 30, which is good.

Yeah. It's basically a salary you can bury if you have to, but shouldn't really have to. The term is a bit weird to me, but it avoids a sort of "Motte situation" where the guy suddenly becomes more valuable just in time to hit UFA. And at 30 he should still be fine.

I like that he can skate, unlike Lammikko. Different ways of doing the same job, but this regime have not been wrong, in that the whole team top-to-bottom lacks footspeed. Bruce's system kinda masked some of that by actually letting them play a little faster without skating faster, but more speed is always welcome.

AAV is good. I prefer not to sign 4th/3rd liners to 2+ years deals, but Lazar has established him to be a solid bottom 6er.

The term is definitely the component of this that i'm not a huge fan of either. I feel like it's always good to keep those types of players "hungry". As callous as that may sound. Multi-year deals are a bit uncomfortable. But i'm not that worried about Lazar. Given that he was once a pretty highly touted "scoring prospect" who has put in the work to turn himself into a quality 4th liner just to stay in and around the league...i'm not that worried about him "resting on his laurels" or anything.

It's also a deal you can easily bury and not hurt much for it if you for some reason have to. And it does avoid the extremely off chance that Lazar rediscovers some vague semblance of offensive touch and randomly pots a bunch of shorthanded goals or something, like Motte did...heading into UFA.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I dont do economy but how on earth are the players not revolting against their union for allowing the accumulation of a billion dollar debt to the owners

They are. They’ve ousted Don Fehr, executive director of the NHLPA, and are looking for a replacement.

Reactions: Hansen

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I dont do economy but how on earth are the players not revolting against their union for allowing the accumulation of a billion dollar debt to the owners
They wanted to get paid a reasonable amount during Covid despite revenue being smashed. They pushed the pain down the road a bit to even it out. Not unreasonable. They only way they can blame the union is of they choose not to take the money in the first place.

Reactions: m9

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Well they agreed to a 50/50 split then only gave up their last paycheque of the season during covid years. They chose years of paybacks instead of 2 years of smaller wages

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I looked this up earlier today and the expectation is it’ll go up by 2m for next season but beyond that there’s no good indication of when it’ll return to its normal year over year growth.
Stand by for in-game gambling promos.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. It's basically a salary you can bury if you have to, but shouldn't really have to. The term is a bit weird to me, but it avoids a sort of "Motte situation" where the guy suddenly becomes more valuable just in time to hit UFA. And at 30 he should still be fine.

I like that he can skate, unlike Lammikko. Different ways of doing the same job, but this regime have not been wrong, in that the whole team top-to-bottom lacks footspeed. Bruce's system kinda masked some of that by actually letting them play a little faster without skating faster, but more speed is always welcome.

The term is definitely the component of this that i'm not a huge fan of either. I feel like it's always good to keep those types of players "hungry". As callous as that may sound. Multi-year deals are a bit uncomfortable. But i'm not that worried about Lazar. Given that he was once a pretty highly touted "scoring prospect" who has put in the work to turn himself into a quality 4th liner just to stay in and around the league...i'm not that worried about him "resting on his laurels" or anything.

It's also a deal you can easily bury and not hurt much for it if you for some reason have to. And it does avoid the extremely off chance that Lazar rediscovers some vague semblance of offensive touch and randomly pots a bunch of shorthanded goals or something, like Motte did...heading into UFA.

On skating and team speed : yeah, absolutely. I've been pounding this drum for years. Benning teams were consistently small, slow, soft. Easy to play against, ES pushovers. I loved that the signings yesterday made this team bigger and faster and heavier and harder to play against.

On term : I've always been of that same mindset, that fringe players should be on short-term deals to maintain motivation. But I'm changing my thoughts on that a bit. In a capped league, any useful player you can leverage to take under the buryable amount of $1.1 million, you should be going for the maximum term possible. There is no downside. If they suck, bye. If they have a surprising breakout, you might get a Hagel or a Mayfield for a bunch of years at an absolute bargain. And the ease with which these guys can be sent to the minors, hopefully that motivation still stays high.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Three years guaranteed $1m a year is more than he can hope for at his age after bouncing from team to team and getting stuck here in Stockton for a year.
Plus he gets to play at home again.
He's a character guy who was relegated to a checking role when his scoring prowess in Jr. disappeared in the NHL.

I can't complain. His contract won't be an anchor, he's a vet and he'll be good in locker room willing to do anything asked of him - including eating stuff thrown on the ice and playing defense if they ask.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
On skating and team speed : yeah, absolutely. I've been pounding this drum for years. Benning teams were consistently small, slow, soft. Easy to play against, ES pushovers. I loved that the signings yesterday made this team bigger and faster and heavier and harder to play against.

On term : I've always been of that same mindset, that fringe players should be on short-term deals to maintain motivation. But I'm changing my thoughts on that a bit. In a capped league, any useful player you can leverage to take under the buryable amount of $1.1 million, you should be going for the maximum term possible. There is no downside. If they suck, bye. If they have a surprising breakout, you might get a Hagel or a Mayfield for a bunch of years at an absolute bargain. And the ease with which these guys can be sent to the minors, hopefully that motivation still stays high.

Provided you don't get too many and the owner gets stuck with $5m in the AHL.

Reactions: Vector and MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't have minded giving someone like Balcers this kind of contract.

Balcers probably only wanted a 1-year in the hopes of getting a bigger contract next year, but I absolutely 100% would have made a bigger offer to him than the deal he signed in Florida.

Reactions: Nucker101

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
It was actually a very good deal for the players. The players incurred an interest free debt from the owners to minimize the disruption of their income during the covid seasons.

They're just repaying the owners that debt now.

Some players are winners and some players are losers in that gamble, but overall it made a lot of sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad