Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Curtis Lazar to 3-Year, $3M Deal ($1M AAV)

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
I don't see why we would give him anything more than a minimum contract for 1 year...Barely a replacement level player over his 404 game career. Bad signing.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I haven't really followed this player much..I remember him being a high pick, and really falling short of those expectations, and having short stops in various cities.

A few posters here predicted this signing...Hopefuluy, he improves our PK, and bottom 6..there's nowhere to go but up.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Whoa, hold up, I thought this wasn't allowed? I thought that anybody playing on the 4th line had to make more then $3.5M a year?
Pretty badly exposes the Benning defenders' argument that if you don't pay premium for bottom six forwards, then your only option is to have AHL junk that sinks the team.

Reactions: timw33 and MS

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Pushing it

Our center depth is atrocious if Pettersson is playing the wing or Miller is gone. It's a wasteland here. I'm not saying he'd be any good but he's proven to be a capable center and that's far better than anyone else on the roster.

Stupid Jason Dickinson...

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Lazar's defensive metrics are actually quite strong. I'm never a fan of giving term to a 4th liner, but at $1M the AAV is fully buriable so it's a non-issue.

He'll be the best 4C they've had in some time.

Reactions: MS

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Nice change not to be be going “WTF!!!” after pretty much every UFA singing.
Good fourth line player on an appropriate contract, I’m good with this

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Better than Lammikko for sure.

I like cap hits you can bury. Term is whatever - you can only get guys to bring down their salary this way.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Very solid signing. Think moreso than a guy like Lammikko that Lazar could still have a bit of upside (anyone remember the adamant > Horvat talk :laugh:), in which case having the extra years is awesome. If not, no worries - he's a perfectly capable player at this price, and can be buried in the minors if he's not.

Reactions: sting101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
No real risk since he can be buried. Seems like a meh 4th liner who's decent on the forecheck

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Almost impossible to dislike a contract that comes in under the bury-mark of 1.125MM and fits an actual need.

Compare this affordable signing to trading a 3rd round pick and signing Dickinson for 3 x 2.65MM

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I've talked before about the "organizational memory" that seems to exist, using the example of how Brandon Sutter and Derrick Pouliot were both targets when Gillis was GM and how we ended up eventually getting both of them years later under different management. Likewise, it feels like the Canucks have been linked to Lazar forever. I'm still not a big fan of giving term to 4th liners, but at least it's 3 years instead of the usual 4-year Benning special we've grown used to, and for $1m it's basically impossible that it could hurt us, so whatever.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Good value signing. Finally signing a right handed centre.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i admire the way lazar has embraced and carved out a bottom six role for himself after failing to meet higher expectations. not sure if he is an upgrade on lammiko but happy to give the benefit of the doubt.

no issues on the money except are we using term here to get the guy? it does not really matter since we can bury this contract, but it does make me wonder if we are still "overpaying" to get our guys as we did in the past.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i admire the way lazar has embraced and carved out a bottom six role for himself after failing to meet higher expectations. not sure if he is an upgrade on lammiko but happy to give the benefit of the doubt.

no issues on the money except are we using term here to get the guy? it does not really matter since we can bury this contract, but it does make me wonder if we are still "overpaying" to get our guys as we did in the past.

Term really doesn't matter in the slightest if the contract is under $1.1 million.

If anything, MORE term is sometimes better for these guys as there's really no downside but you could get a bargain if they break out.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Holy shit, I thought it was 3x3 almost gave me a heart attack. I'm alright with this, I suppose.
"Canucks sign 4th liner for 3 million"...."Except this time its 3million over 3 yrs"
Halford and Brough

Huge Lazar fan here. Charismatic guy that just loves to be on the ice and will run through a wall to help his team win. BC boy who will bleed blue

Got some pretty good skills as well

Cant go wrong here at that price......love it

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Lazar's defensive metrics are actually quite strong. I'm never a fan of giving term to a 4th liner, but at $1M the AAV is fully buriable so it's a non-issue.

He'll be the best 4C they've had in some time.

The defensive metrics are from how the Bruins have their 4th line play. They get buried in the D zone and asked to play zero event hockey. He isn't some defensive savant or something. He is a responsible guy who can play with some skill and jam on your 4th line and drive play well for a 4th liner. Was better at wing than C in Boston.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The defensive metrics are from how the Bruins have their 4th line play. They get buried in the D zone and asked to play zero event hockey. He isn't some defensive savant or something. He is a responsible guy who can play with some skill and jam on your 4th line and drive play well for a 4th liner. Was better at wing than C in Boston.
His regressed defensive metrics (EH's RAPM and HockeyViz's Isolated Impact) are also quite strong. Those metrics are intended to control for teammates, usage, and competition.

It's not just the raw CA or xGA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad