Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Curtis Lazar to 3-Year, $3M Deal ($1M AAV)

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
No we are not paying too much for them. Everybody across the board agrees with that.

I meant that everybody including Benning supporters, agree that we were paying too much for 4th liners.
Pastor was vocal in support of Beagle's value at 3M. A few others also thought he was good value for the money.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Pastor was vocal in support of Beagle's value at 3M. A few others also thought he was good value for the money.
I dont recall being enthusiastic about his $ value...It was the term I didnt like..He was signed to be a mentor, after the Sedins retired.

Jul 1, 2018
"First glance here..I don't like the term on both deals..Should have been 3 years max...$ are fine."..PoM.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I dont recall being enthusiastic about his $ value...It was the term I didnt like..He was signed to be a mentor, after the Sedins retired.

Jul 1, 2018
"First glance here..I don't like the term on both deals..Should have been 3 years max...$ are fine."..PoM.

ok

edit: Hey logan5 I found an example for you

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
ok

edit: Hey logan5 I found an example for you
Eh. Alright. In hindsight everyone agrees those were bad signings. Can't remember if Benning came out and actually said these are 4th liners and we're going to pay 3 million for them. Initially, I think everybody thought they would have a bigger role. Just like dead weight Dickenson, but you don't know what you are getting until uyou see them play a stretch.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Eh. Alright. In hindsight everyone agrees those were bad signings. Can't remember if Benning came out and actually said these are 4th liners and we're going to pay 3 million for them. Initially, I think everybody thought they would have a bigger role. Just like dead weight Dickenson, but you don't know what you are getting until uyou see them play a stretch.
At the time all of the idiot Benning supporters thought the cap hits for Beagle and Roussel were generally fine. I remember Sat on the radio at the time saying the contracts were fine except the term was a little long. Lol.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
At the time all of the idiot Benning supporters thought the cap hits for Beagle and Roussel were generally fine. I remember Sat on the radio at the time saying the contracts were fine except the term was a little long. Lol.

A lot of them thought the team had lots of space so it wasn’t a big issue to overpay a bit to get those types of players. As we saw though, cap space can get filled quickly and it’s hard to keep improving with overpaid filler. Though Roussel was at least somewhat worth his cap the first season.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
There were probly also some Benning detractors who supported the signings when they first happened as well.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
A lot of them thought the team had lots of space so it wasn’t a big issue to overpay a bit to get those types of players. As we saw though, cap space can get filled quickly and it’s hard to keep improving with overpaid filler. Though Roussel was at least somewhat worth his cap the first season.

You can either spend 6MM long term for Beagle + Roussel, or you can leverage your cap space and get paid a 1st round pick to take on 6MM for a Marleau for one year.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
That was a dumb reason at the time.

There were probly also some Benning detractors who supported the signings when they first happened as well.
I don’t recall that. These were quintessential dumb Benning moves that anyone who wasn’t a Benning cheerleader could have seen.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That was a dumb reason at the time.

I know. I’m not defending the reasoning. I’m saying I believe the prevailing thought of those who defended them was that they acknowledged they were overpaid but the team could afford the overpay given their cap situation. Not just that the money was fine in itself.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Lazar doesn't have much natural talent. Compared to Lammikko, they are similar as in they get employment because of their work ethic not necessarily athletic / skill ability.

He shouldn't be higher than the 4th line in my opinion just like he was in Boston, a mediocre playoff team.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
DA892BA2-6B9A-46C5-B085-C65C6FA657C0.jpeg

Not a lot of offense, but he’s actually improved over previous seasons. So while he’s not generating much in the way of quality chances, there’s some potential there.

Strong defensively. Again, also improved over his previous season. Based on his heatmaps, I would assume he tends to stay inside the box and a bit lower. My guess is they ran a low zone collapsing D system?

We don’t play like that. So Lazar is likely going to roam a lot more here. Probably see a dip in his defensive performance due to the system being more man to man.

He doesn’t seem to play the PK? I thought he did. Odd. Well, hopefully he can do that here.

I dunno. A young physical 4th line RH centre with some room to grow. Showing improvement. Seems good to me.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
No issues with this signing. Fills a need at a cheap price and he’s still a good age when the contract ends

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Have to love the versatility of the 4th line. Lazar and Joshua both can play center or wing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Even if Lazar's play completely falls off a cliff, he'd be a positive asset in Abbotsford.
Not gonna happen Lazar is a passionate team guy that will find a way to be a positive contributor

Attachments

• chaos-laser.gif
    chaos-laser.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: alternate

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I’ve long held the belief Benning was sent as an inside man to really finish us off. Neely like really holds a grudge.

oh i yeah i have written fan fiction about this

prospectus for an ibsen play, or a boston-themed martin scorsese movie

dramatis personae

BC born superduperstar center: joe sakic
fill-in defenseman: aaron rome
former canucks defenseman #1: jim benning
former canucks defenseman #2: colin campbell
fourth line agitator #1: derek dorsett
fourth line agitator #2: brandon prust
other team's fourth line agitator: shawn thornton
stalwart western league defenseman #1: glen wesley
stalwart western league defenseman #2: dan hamhuis
trevor linden: trevor linden
young but slow-to-develop power forward #1: cam neely
young but slow-to-develop power forward #2: zack kassian
young, developed power forward #1: milan lucic
young, developed power forward #2: nathan horton

ACT ONE

- canucks trade young but slow-to-develop BC born power forward #1 along with a draft pick a year in the future (note: the team finished 4th worst in the league that season)

- canucks finish 3rd worst, other team drafts stalwart western league defenseman #1; but--- local BC-born future superduperstar center who was way better than pederson was on the table, albeit as a reach at #3 (who am i kidding? we would have taken western league defenseman/bust dean chynoweth with that pick)

[intermezzo: June 6, 1986 - trade in question; June 8, 2005 - young slow-to-develop power forward #1 inducted to hockey hall of fame; June 5, 2008 - stalwart western league defenseman #1 announces retirement]

ACT TWO

- 25 year later, canucks make the stanley cup finals.young slow-to-develop power forward #1 is now a reputedly influential front office guy on the other team after a HHOF career. his team has two young, developed power forwards who each resulted from the original trade (wesley --> samsonov pick --> lucic pick; wesley --> mclaren pick --> jeff jilsson --> brad boyes --> dennis wideman --> horton). his assistant GM is former canucks defenseman #1 from the sucky pederson era.

- game 1 of the finals, best canucks defensemen, a.k.a. stalwart western league defenseman #2, gets injured delivering a hip check to other team's young, developed power forward #1 early in the second period, gets injured, out for the season

- game 3 of the finals, early in the first period, score tied 0-0, canucks up 2-0 in the series but down their
best defensemen, with their next three biggest minute-eating d-men also nursing injuries (ehrhoff - shoulder; bieksa - MCL; edler - rumoured broken fingers; but sami salo—surprisingly healthy), fill-in defenseman delivers hit on other team's young, developed power forward #2. ejected from the game, canucks implode defensively, other team's physical game woken up, lose 8-1.

- next day, former canucks defenseman #2 rules in favor of his son's team, suspends canucks fill-in defensemen for the year; canucks d pairs remain in disarray, lose three of the next four games.

[intermezzo: other team's fourth line agitator returns to lineup in victorious game 3 after many healthy scratches; after game 5 victory, in which fourth line agitator played only four minutes, he averages an unprecedented >10'30" in lopsided game 6 and 7 victories, cited as a difference-maker in the series.

@2:50]

ACT THREE

- organizational meltdown ensues; best core in team history gets dismantled over next three seasons; canucks brass, haunted by humiliating physical battles lost to other team, blame the loss on lack of toughness.

- three years later, former canucks defenseman #1, now canucks GM, overpays with a 3rd round pick for a fourth line agitator #1.

- nine months later, former canucks defenseman #1 unfathomably re-signs fourth line agitator #1 for four years at $2.65 million per. justifies deal by praising agitator's mentorship of his young but slow-to-develop power forward #2.

- two months later, former canucks defenseman #1 gives away young but slow-to-develop power forward #2, with a 5th round pick, for fourth line agitator #2($2.5 million cap hit); justifies the trade by saying fourth line agitator #2 will mentor the young kids. fourth line agitator #1 (and his $2.65 million cap hit) still at large.

EDIT:

EPILOGUE

- five years later, financial audit reveals that former canucks defenseman #1 was a spy all along. trevor linden removes own eyeballs.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
oh i yeah i have written fan fiction about this

prospectus for an ibsen play, or a boston-themed martin scorsese movie

dramatis personae

BC born superduperstar center: joe sakic
fill-in defenseman: aaron rome
former canucks defenseman #1: jim benning
former canucks defenseman #2: colin campbell
fourth line agitator #1: derek dorsett
fourth line agitator #2: brandon prust
other team's fourth line agitator: shawn thornton
stalwart western league defenseman #1: glen wesley
stalwart western league defenseman #2: dan hamhuis
trevor linden: trevor linden
young but slow-to-develop power forward #1: cam neely
young but slow-to-develop power forward #2: zack kassian
young, developed power forward #1: milan lucic
young, developed power forward #2: nathan horton

ACT ONE

- canucks trade young but slow-to-develop BC born power forward #1 along with a draft pick a year in the future (note: the team finished 4th worst in the league that season)

- canucks finish 3rd worst, other team drafts stalwart western league defenseman #1; but--- local BC-born future superduperstar center who was way better than pederson was on the table, albeit as a reach at #3 (who am i kidding? we would have taken western league defenseman/bust dean chynoweth with that pick)

[intermezzo: June 6, 1986 - trade in question; June 8, 2005 - young slow-to-develop power forward #1 inducted to hockey hall of fame; June 5, 2008 - stalwart western league defenseman #1 announces retirement]

ACT TWO

- 25 year later, canucks make the stanley cup finals.young slow-to-develop power forward #1 is now a reputedly influential front office guy on the other team after a HHOF career. his team has two young, developed power forwards who each resulted from the original trade (wesley --> samsonov pick --> lucic pick; wesley --> mclaren pick --> jeff jilsson --> brad boyes --> dennis wideman --> horton). his assistant GM is former canucks defenseman #1 from the sucky pederson era.

- game 1 of the finals, best canucks defensemen, a.k.a. stalwart western league defenseman #2, gets injured delivering a hip check to other team's young, developed power forward #1 early in the second period, gets injured, out for the season

- game 3 of the finals, early in the first period, score tied 0-0, canucks up 2-0 in the series but down their
best defensemen, with their next three biggest minute-eating d-men also nursing injuries (ehrhoff - shoulder; bieksa - MCL; edler - rumoured broken fingers; but sami salo—surprisingly healthy), fill-in defenseman delivers hit on other team's young, developed power forward #2. ejected from the game, canucks implode defensively, other team's physical game woken up, lose 8-1.

- next day, former canucks defenseman #2 rules in favor of his son's team, suspends canucks fill-in defensemen for the year; canucks d pairs remain in disarray, lose three of the next four games.

[intermezzo: other team's fourth line agitator returns to lineup in victorious game 3 after many healthy scratches; after game 5 victory, in which fourth line agitator played only four minutes, he averages an unprecedented >10'30" in lopsided game 6 and 7 victories, cited as a difference-maker in the series.

@2:50]

ACT THREE

- organizational meltdown ensues; best core in team history gets dismantled over next three seasons; canucks brass, haunted by humiliating physical battles lost to other team, blame the loss on lack of toughness.

- three years later, former canucks defenseman #1, now canucks GM, overpays with a 3rd round pick for a fourth line agitator #1.

- nine months later, former canucks defenseman #1 unfathomably re-signs fourth line agitator #1 for four years at $2.65 million per. justifies deal by praising agitator's mentorship of his young but slow-to-develop power forward #2.

- two months later, former canucks defenseman #1 gives away young but slow-to-develop power forward #2, with a 5th round pick, for fourth line agitator #2($2.5 million cap hit); justifies the trade by saying fourth line agitator #2 will mentor the young kids. fourth line agitator #1 (and his $2.65 million cap hit) still at large.

EDIT:

EPILOGUE

- five years later, financial audit reveals that former canucks defenseman #1 was a spy all along. trevor linden removes own eyeballs.

I had way too much fun reading this

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad