Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Curtis Lazar to 3-Year, $3M Deal ($1M AAV)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Term really doesn't matter in the slightest if the contract is under $1.1 million.

If anything, MORE term is sometimes better for these guys as there's really no downside but you could get a bargain if they break out.
yes, i literally said it doesn't matter for cap purposes, but it is an indicator of how we are getting players to sign.

i am looking for two things

1. are we unduly targeting guys like i think the previous regime did to the point of sweetening to get those guys to look at us? i think it hurt our bargaining position not only with those players but generally because every agent learned to feign disinterest.

2. are we struggling in the ufa market to the point we need to overpay?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
yes, i literally said it doesn't matter for cap purposes, but it is an indicator of how we are getting players to sign.

i am looking for two things

1. are we unduly targeting guys like i think the previous regime did to the point of sweetening to get those guys to look at us? i think it hurt our bargaining position not only with those players but generally because every agent learned to feign disinterest.

2. are we struggling in the ufa market to the point we need to overpay?

This Lazar contract was a substantially lower AAV than I expected.

I don't think it's any evidence of any overpayment at all. If anything, it's a bargain to be getting an established RH C in UFA with a buryable contract.

Reactions: Vector and Draino

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
A bit better than Lammikko as an overall player, skating is the biggest difference between the two, Lazar is quicker and faster, a tad grittier as well. Hopefully he can rediscover some of his junior offensive instincts.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This Lazar contract was a substantially lower AAV than I expected.

I don't think it's any evidence of any overpayment at all. If anything, it's a bargain to be getting an established RH C in UFA with a buryable contract.

ok well i don't think lazar could have gotten more than a buriable deal.

Boston fans seemed to like him. They wouldn't lie to us would they?

they loved tim schaller. came here to tell us how great he would be.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Lazar's defensive metrics are actually quite strong. I'm never a fan of giving term to a 4th liner, but at $1M the AAV is fully buriable so it's a non-issue.

He'll be the best 4C they've had in some time.
Maybe the best since, dare I speak his name, the World’s Greatest 4th Line Centre…Tommi Santala? 😲

• Haha
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
His regressed defensive metrics (EH's RAPM and HockeyViz's Isolated Impact) are also quite strong. Those metrics are intended to control for teammates, usage, and competition.

It's not just the raw CA or xGA.

Yes I’m aware. Hard to isolate for teammates when you only play on the 4th line with a rotating cast of folks being asked to play the same way.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Always seems on the verge of becoming the player he suggested in Junior. Hopefully pulls a Nitushkin and comes into his own. Better in Boston last year and maybe finally at 27 (though not holding my breath) trending in the right way.

Like that he willing to stick his nose in an does add a little weight to the bottom end of the lineup.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I remember him being a complete bust when Calgary acquired him. I thought that was only 2 years ago but it's been 4 years so it's possible he's a completely different player now but I try to avoid watching the Bruins.

As long as we didn't hand out an NTC. Loved all our $3.5m 4th liners with random modified NTCs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I remember him being a complete bust when Calgary acquired him. I thought that was only 2 years ago but it's been 4 years so it's possible he's a completely different player now but I try to avoid watching the Bruins.

As long as we didn't hand out an NTC. Loved all our $3.5m 4th liners with random modified NTCs.

He was a bust as a young player in Ottawa and Calgary as there were a ton of expectations that he would be a Horvat-level player and the skill just didn't develop.

Went back to the AHL and then got a shot on bad Buffalo teams and then Boston and has re-profiled himself as a physical, pretty good-skating, low-event defensive 4th liner.

Reactions: Skriko and Red

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He was a bust as a young player in Ottawa and Calgary as there were a ton of expectations that he would be a Horvat-level player and the skill just didn't develop.

Went back to the AHL and then got a shot on bad Buffalo teams and then Boston and has re-profiled himself as a physical, pretty good-skating, low-event defensive 4th liner.
I’d like to be able to do what Boston does with 4th liners rather than be the teams who signs their Tim Schaller’s and Sean Kuraly’s after they’ve developed them

Reactions: MS

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Love the signing. Cap hit is great, term is fine, kid is entering his prime. He's probably the best 4th line center we've had in years.

I really love the additions Allvin has made, our 4th line is very much improved.

Reactions: bossram

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yes I’m aware. Hard to isolate for teammates when you only play on the 4th line with a rotating cast of folks being asked to play the same way.
Actually, this would make the isolated models more accurate. They tend to have trouble or sometimes wonky results when you have extreme multi-collinearity, like in the case of the same defense pairs or lines being in place for pretty much an entire season.

And regardless of what you think of the outputs, given his usage, Lazar did his job and did it well. It's the same role he'll be given in Vancouver.

At $1M, it's a no-risk signing.

I’d like to be able to do what Boston does with 4th liners rather than be the teams who signs their Tim Schaller’s and Sean Kuraly’s after they’ve developed them
He's signed for $1M AAV. This ain't paying Jay Beagle.

It's a no-risk signing. If he ends up sucking, you just waive him and there are zero cap consequences.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Actually, this would make the isolated models more accurate. They tend to have trouble or sometimes wonky results when you have extreme multi-collinearity, like in the case of the same defense pairs or lines being in place for pretty much an entire season.

And regardless of what you think of the outputs, given his usage, Lazar did his job and did it well. It's the same role he'll be given in Vancouver.

At $1M, it's a no-risk signing.

He's signed for $1M AAV. This ain't paying Jay Beagle.

It's a no-risk signing. If he ends up sucking, you just waive him and there are zero cap consequences.
Oh for sure, all I’m saying is Boston seems to be doing well coaching/developing these guys and they seem to regress once they leave.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Like the signing. Who cares about the extra year longer than most would like. It's a $1M per year deal. He's a legitimate NHL 3rd/4th liner who'll be making exactly what he should be instead of $3M too much.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
this video is so good

1. i hate deangelo
2. the bruins commentators saying "curtis lazar shows such toughness there not to retaliate" when daniel sedin was a wuss for not punching marchand back

Reactions: lousy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad