Player Discussion Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV) | Part 2

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Have to love the all star Canucks team from the extreme pessimists. Apparently these guys would have brought us a cup: Hutton, Biega, McCann, and I'm sure that I'm missing more plugs that are endlessly brought up here.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
To expand on your point, let's not forget that 22.3% of posters here preferred Hutton straight up over Myers, ignoring contracts!

Myers or Hutton, This Year

Myers has his flaws, but that poll result is embarrassing. If that question was posted as a poll on the main board it would have been laughed at.
Hutton is putting up pretty good metrics so far this season now that he's unshackled from Gudbranson. We already know Edler can carry a pairing.

Ben Hutton - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

Tyler Myers - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

Both guys are playing on a top pair, with a guy who can carry a pairing and putting up similar results, other than Hutton has been on for 3 against at 5 on 5, vs 7 for Myers.

One took $30m to sign, the other $1.5m.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Hutton is putting up pretty good metrics so far this season now that he's unshackled from Gudbranson. We already know Edler can carry a pairing.

Both guys are playing on a top pair, with a guy who can carry a pairing and putting up similar results, other than Hutton has been on for 3 against at 5 on 5, vs 7 for Myers.

I appreciate your commitment to your original vote, but the bolded part above wasn't part of the question. Hence the ridiculous poll result.

Also, pretty sure this was beaten to death already, but being a top pair Dman on a team with a weak defense ≠ actually being a top pair Dman. And yes, I would apply this same logic to conclude that Myers is not a top pair Dman either.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I appreciate your commitment to your original vote, but the bolded part above wasn't part of the question. Hence the ridiculous poll result.

Also, pretty sure this was beaten to death already, but being a top pair Dman on a team with a weak defense ≠ actually being a top pair Dman. And yes, I would apply this same logic to conclude that Myers is not a top pair Dman either.
Why did you bring it up if it's been beaten to death?

Neither are top pair defenders, one is 26, the other is 29.

I don't think there is actually a ton that separates these players in actual ability. That's why I just showed you the numbers albeit in a small sample to start a season. Myers has 1 more assist.

Reactions: I am toxic

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009

I don't think there is actually a ton that separates these players in actual ability. That's why I just showed you the numbers albeit in a small sample to start a season. Myers has 1 more assist.

I suppose some things just need to be brought up more than once as a reminder.

Case in point, you've already referenced their salary and now you are referring to their ages. Neither are applicable to the poll question:
(ignore contract/side) 2019-20 only, Myers or Hutton

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC

Case in point, you've already referenced their salary and now you are referring to their ages. Neither are applicable to the poll question:
If you asked me before the poll was posted who would vote Hutton I'd probably hit close to 100%. It's amazing how certain posters are so predictable yet apparently have no bias or agendas.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

So the premise of that thread was stupid to begin with.

What were you hoping to get out of bringing back that thread...if you can't discuss context it's a stupid premise.

You should've just bolded the part where I said there is very little that separates these players in actual ability.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

What were you hoping to get out of bringing back that thread...if you can't discuss context it's a stupid premise.

You should've just bolded the part where I said there is very little that separates these players in actual ability.
The premise of the thread was the question of which one was the better defenceman. Their contracts weren't relevant to that question and people generally answered with that in mind.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Have to love the all star Canucks team from the extreme pessimists. Apparently these guys would have brought us a cup: Hutton, Biega, McCann, and I'm sure that I'm missing more plugs that are endlessly brought up here.

You'd have to be crazy to prefer Sutter or Beagle over McCann, especially given contracts and age.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009

That was the point of the poll, no? All things equal, "if you ran a team aspiring to decent hockey this upcoming season who would you choose", Myers or Hutton? You can't seem to address this question without adding other variables. I'm not sure if it's reading comprehension or bias that is causing this to happen.

Reactions: F A N

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That was the point of the poll, no? All things equal, "if you ran a team aspiring to decent hockey this upcoming season who would you choose", Myers or Hutton? You can't seem to address this question without adding other variables. I'm not sure if it's reading comprehension or bias that is causing this to happen.
I don't think there is actually a ton that separates these players in actual ability.

So it comes down to personal preference. I don't think it makes anyone wrong like you were suggesting by bringing it up.

Add context, then it's actually worth discussing, the premise as is, is silly.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Lmao, I spit out my coffee laughing at this post. Hutton was whatever, Biega I won’t step into because apparently I ruffled up some feelings for a few and McCann gets way more hype since he left here.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
I don't think there is actually a ton that separates these players in actual ability.

So it comes down to personal preference. I don't think it makes anyone wrong like you were suggesting by bringing it up.

Add context, then it's actually worth discussing, the premise as is, is silly.

Fair enough, on a side note though, with just a little hockey tape you should be able to convert your #27 Canucks jersey to a #57 :sarcasm:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Fair enough, on a side note though, with just a little hockey tape you should be able to convert your #27 Canucks jersey to a #57 :sarcasm:
Cute. I wish I had $350 disposable dollars I could spend on a jersey. I've got one shirsey.....#1

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015

Don't forget Shinkaruk who had huge value before being traded.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Oh man he sure had potential.
Remember when he got traded to Calgary and scored in his first game? People here lost their damn mind saying we lost a future 40 goal scorer.

Remember when we thought Hodgson would be an elite #1 centerman?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Is this a team being run in a league where the cap doesn’t exist? If not then cap hit is always relevant. What a pointless poll.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
Is this a team being run in a league where the cap doesn’t exist? If not then cap hit is always relevant. What a pointless poll.
bro, the question is literally asking who the better player is between the two, strictly based on their skills as hockey players.

how is that pointless?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

You can’t seriously tell me, after watching 4 years of Hutton, you would still rather see him on the top pairing with Edler.,,,,,,

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
lets be fair here....remember the love fest for the guy they traded him for too? Go back and look at some Granlund threads for a hoot.
Similar to all the Hutton/Biega love
One of the main reason this team has been bad over the past 4 years is because they keep playing plugs like Hutton, Biega and Goldobin. And weirdly, part of the fan base grew so attached to these plugs.
If Hutton plays anywhere above bottom pair on your team, your team is f***ed

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Similar to all the Hutton/Biega love
One of the main reason this team has been bad over the past 4 years is because they keep playing plugs like Hutton, Biega and Goldobin. And weirdly, part of the fan base grew so attached to these plugs.
If Hutton plays anywhere above bottom pair on your team, your team is ****ed

Hutton was a perfectly solid mid-pairing defender here and LA fans are loving him so far as a 20-minute guy there.

The biggest problem with Hutton was that he got stuck with the career-destroying black hole of suck that was Erik Gudbranson more often than the rest of the blueline combined. Whenever he wasn't with Gudbranson, he was a fine player here.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland

I find it interesting how you're low key ignoring/downplaying the fact that Hutton plays with literally Drew Doughty lol

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad