Player Discussion Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV) | Part 2

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm fully aware that those teams absolutely sucked and couldn't score goals. Nobody is arguing this. Nobody is saying that Myers' offensive numbers weren't hurt by this either.

The problem is that - despite solid goaltending - they were a bottom-5 defensive team in the NHL. Myers was tasked with being a high-leverage guy on those teams and was getting shredded, and his inability to win or saw off hard matchups was a big part of why those teams were so bad defensively.

When Myers went to Winnipeg, he went back to the same sort of middle-pairing 52% zone start minutes he was getting to start his career in Buffalo, and he rebounded.
i dont want to beat this up anymore. Looking at that roster i dont know if i would take anything Mario Lemieux did in terms of keeping pucks out of his teams net, getting wasted in shots and possession. It's a team game and that lineup is abysmal and the stats and names should back that up. Nothing Ryan Miller did has anything to do with it either unless you think his +/- should have been worse? Maybe if Miller could skate his numbers could have been better? anyway...

Myers wasn't even fully healthy and i don't know how a guy could stay positive and motivated in that environment either so it is what it is. His numbers were bad but i just dont put much if any stalk into it given the circumstances and i feel like others shouldn't be using it as ammunition.

i know you are usually pretty good in using context so i took a bit of a run at you because of it. i've said it before but i do so mostly because i know i get a good educated response thats worthy of my time which should be a complement. I made my point i'm over it. I'm not gonna sit here and say i watched Myers lots those seasons. I dont mind the Sabres (have always had a soft spot) but i can tell you i find it hard watching the Canucks when they suck let alone another Eastern team without any redeeming qualities.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well he's been good so far, let's see how long it lasts. It hasn't exactly been a track race out there in the games so far. I'm still not sure we wouldn't have been better off keeping Hutton and socking that money away for a run at Barrie or similar next year.

Actually bad to have Hughes doing so well, because he's a direct contrast to Myers playing "well". Is he playing $6M well? That's still heavily debatable.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's curious and my opinion of Edler has always been that his play drops when his partner has, I guess, erratic components to his game. Edler tends to try to overcompensate. Tanev doesn't have that nature. Even Stecher doesn't. Edler works well with them. Myers seems more unpredictable and I wonder how that affects Edler.
Yep. Every time he played with Bieksa, it was a total nightmare.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It's curious and my opinion of Edler has always been that his play drops when his partner has, I guess, erratic components to his game. Edler tends to try to overcompensate. Tanev doesn't have that nature. Even Stecher doesn't. Edler works well with them. Myers seems more unpredictable and I wonder how that affects Edler.
Guds had a less crappier version of crud when paired up with Edler.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Well he's been good so far, let's see how long it lasts. It hasn't exactly been a track race out there in the games so far. I'm still not sure we wouldn't have been better off keeping Hutton and socking that money away for a run at Barrie or similar next year.

Actually bad to have Hughes doing so well, because he's a direct contrast to Myers playing "well". Is he playing $6M well? That's still heavily debatable.
Barrie has been brutal for the Laughs so far this year.

Reactions: PuckFather

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I agree. I think Edler can't carry a Dman who can be caught standing around the net, which is not exactly Myers issues. But ya Myers has been good so far but I can see Edler's play being affected if Myers' defensive play drops off. Most Dmen do play better when paired with Edler though.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Way better than I expected him to be. Still a bad call on the signing, but I was expecting gudbranson and I got someone who I actually think makes our d better.

Make no mistake though, the biggest change on this team hasn't been myers, ferland, or miller, it is quinn hughes

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
To be fair, the "Casual Kev" version of Bieksa was a nightmare defensively.
Agreed, but the Edler - Bieksa pairing was a nightmare even when Bieksa was playing at his best, IMO.

In comparison, the Hamhuis - Bieksa pairing never looked quite as much like a trainwreck even when he was in Casual Kev mode, and neither did the Edler - Stecher pairing when Stecher was at his worst defensively.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Agreed, but the Edler - Bieksa pairing was a nightmare even when Bieksa was playing at his best, IMO.

In comparison, the Hamhuis - Bieksa pairing never looked quite as much like a trainwreck even when he was in Casual Kev mode, and neither did the Edler - Stecher pairing when Stecher was at his worst defensively.

Bieksa with Hamhuis was a revelation. Nobody here could have expected Bieksa to be a top pairing shut down Dman on a Cup contender no less. But outside of his partnership with Hamhuis, was there someone Bieksa played well with as in Jovo with Lachance/Malik well?

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
He looks good.

It is early days though. He is always going to be a guy who makes the odd gangly boneheaded defensive play. We will see after 25 games or something.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bieksa with Hamhuis was a revelation. Nobody here could have expected Bieksa to be a top pairing shut down Dman on a Cup contender no less. But outside of his partnership with Hamhuis, was there someone Bieksa played well with as in Jovo with Lachance/Malik well?

Bieksa-Mitchell worked well in Bieksa's rookie season but yeah, it was a rollercoaster from 2007-2010 defensively for him until he was put with Hamhuis in November 2010.

Bieksa and Ryan Stanton also worked well together at times as a depth pairing late in his tenure.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There were plenty of good Bieksa pairings.

Mitchell - Bieksa was incredible. Stanton - Bieksa were great together as well. To a lesser extent, I even thought Garrison - Bieksa looked like less of a mess than Edler - Bieksa did, although that one might be debateable.

Did Shane O'Brien play in that spot as well? I remember him playing really well with SOMEONE, but I don't remember if it was Bieksa.

In any case, I'm pretty certain the Edler - Bieksa pairing was a surprisingly lesser-than-the-sum-of-its-parts pairing, even ignoring all of these other pairings. The play of both of them just seemed to laughably plummet when put together.

Last edited:
Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Mitchell - Bieksa was an incredible. Stanton - Bieksa were great together as well. To a lesser extent, I even thought Garrison - Bieksa looked like less of a mess than Edler - Bieksa did, although that one might be debateable.

Did Shane O'Brien play in that spot as well? I remember him playing really well with SOMEONE, but I don't remember if it was Bieksa.

In any case, I'm pretty certain the Edler - Bieksa pairing was a surprisingly lesser-than-the-sum-of-its-parts pairing, even ignoring all of these other pairings.

That's right. Mitchell and Bieksa was pretty good.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
hes a solid relief for Tanev and Edler. Too much was on them.

it truly feels like Tanev found a new game as Hughes with his partner.

Edler looks good too ever since playing again with Myers.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I take back what I said last time I was in the thread. What an upgrade this has been. (yes, I realize the bar was very low)

Myers makes his share of mistakes, but I've overall been quite impressed. Was at the LA game & even then I thought he quietly had a strong game. Playing with Eagle seems to be working for him.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
hes a solid relief for Tanev and Edler. Too much was on them.

it truly feels like Tanev found a new game as Hughes with his partner.

Edler looks good too ever since playing again with Myers.

Agree completely on Tanev, he looks great. What a great partner for Hughes. Tanny compliements him so well.

And Edler looks rejuvenated again with the young players & vet additions. Been playing some of his best hockey since last season.

Phil Brooks

Jun 26, 2019
Chicago, IL

Mitchell - Bieksa was incredible. Stanton - Bieksa were great together as well. To a lesser extent, I even thought Garrison - Bieksa looked like less of a mess than Edler - Bieksa did, although that one might be debateable.

In any case, I'm pretty certain the Edler - Bieksa pairing was a surprisingly lesser-than-the-sum-of-its-parts pairing, even ignoring all of these other pairings. The play of both of them just seemed to laughably plummet when put together.
I think it was Ehrhoff and SOB. SOB sat back and Ehrhoff rushed the puck, worked pretty well.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Would like to see Tryamkin over here playing on the third pairing.
He has size, skating and skill. Bit of a mean streak too. Him and Stecher would be interesting to see

Reactions: Get North

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
6inoe9xhwts31.gif

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Impressed with Tree Trunk's performance so far. Good signing and really relieves the pressure on Tanev and Edler.

Good veteran presence.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Hamhuis and Bieksa was a great pairing. Defensively Bieksa probably played his best hockey with Hamhuis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad