Player Discussion Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV) | Part 2

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Similar to all the Hutton/Biega love
One of the main reason this team has been bad over the past 4 years is because they keep playing plugs like Hutton, Biega and Goldobin. And weirdly, part of the fan base grew so attached to these plugs.
If Hutton plays anywhere above bottom pair on your team, your team is ****ed
Hutton is playing extremely well in 1st pairing minutes right now, the team is LA and they're not great but I wouldn't call him a plug I think he's pretty good.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Hutton is playing extremely well in 1st pairing minutes right now, the team is LA and they're not great but I wouldn't call him a plug I think he's pretty good.
“Extremely well”

Yeah, I’ve seen this movie before, 4 years actually.
One of the reason why LA is f***ed this season

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I find it interesting how you're low key ignoring/downplaying the fact that Hutton plays with literally Drew Doughty lol
How am I lowkey doing anything? I said he's playing on the top pair in LA....Doughty is the top defensman on LA, I expected people to be able to put two and two together. Hell, I even gave you links to where you could look at exactly who he plays with. I didn't hide anything. Try and actually contribute something next time.

Myers is playing with Edler, who's pretty dang good too.

Reactions: I am toxic

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
“Extremely well”

Yeah, I’ve seen this movie before, 4 years actually.
One of the reason why LA is ****ed this season
Actually LA would be even more f***ed if Hutton wasn't giving them the quality minutes he is.

Hutton actually played quite well as a Canuck outside of his minutes with Gudbranson. I'll admit I like the player more than most.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You can’t seriously tell me, after watching 4 years of Hutton, you would still rather see him on the top pairing with Edler.,,,,,,
I'm not saying that. Don't put words in my mouth.

I don't think playing his offside on a top pair would be good for anyone.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah minor detail of him playing with one of the best defenders in the league.............
How insecure you guys must be. I gave you the links. He's played 60% of his 5 on 5 minutes with Doughty. The other 40% is with Sean Walker.

Guess what happens when you take away the Doughty minutes? His CF% goes from 49 to 68.

He's playing well, not sure why people are so butthurt about it.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
How insecure you guys must be. I gave you the links. He's played 60% of his 5 on 5 minutes with Doughty. The other 40% is with Sean Walker.

Guess what happens when you take away the Doughty minutes? His CF% goes from 49 to 68.

He's playing well, not sure why people are so ******** about it.

My issue is that people on this board are acting as if he was a great loss. His time in Van was done. 10 times out of ten I would take Myers (at present - who knows how well he will age) as whatever it is - his size, offence etc. (all solid so far) he has definitely helped improve our D. Sometimes players need a change of scenery - even if Hutton is playing lights out this year his time here was done. There wasn't exactly a rush of other GM's to sign this player either.

Myers and his 6 mill per have slotted in nicely to our top 4. Would you (or the rest of the board) really have felt confident putting Hutton in that position this year? I certainly would not have.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
How am I lowkey doing anything? I said he's playing on the top pair in LA....Doughty is the top defensman on LA, I expected people to be able to put two and two together. Hell, I even gave you links to where you could look at exactly who he plays with. I didn't hide anything. Try and actually contribute something next time.

Myers is playing with Edler, who's pretty dang good too.
"Both guys are playing on a top pair, with a guy who can carry a pairing and putting up similar results, other than Hutton has been on for 3 against at 5 on 5, vs 7 for Myers.

One took $30m to sign, the other $1.5m."

Cuz when you say something like this, you make it seem like the difference between Doughty and Edler is negligible.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
My issue is that people on this board are acting as if he was a great loss. His time in Van was done. 10 times out of ten I would take Myers (at present - who knows how well he will age) as whatever it is - his size, offence etc. (all solid so far) he has definitely helped improve our D. Sometimes players need a change of scenery - even if Hutton is playing lights out this year his time here was done. There wasn't exactly a rush of other GM's to sign this player either.

Myers and his 6 mill per have slotted in nicely to our top 4. Would you (or the rest of the board) really have felt confident putting Hutton in that position this year? I certainly would not have.
Nah, you specifically commented on a post calling me out for "lowkey" hiding who he was playing with. I posted the links to the stats website I use where you can sort the minutes however you want.

So you didn't even make a comment about the board or the player.

Him being "done" here was a choice not a necessity.

Myers is looking good so far, not sure why buddy brought up Hutton in this Myers thread yesterday, but I commented on it and here we are.

I think Hutton is a good 4/5 dman.....also, GM's were interested in Hutton, his agent turned down deals early in the summer hoping for more, then the RFA issues and teams spending their own money on their own players closed the market. I've already admitted that I'm higher on him than most.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
"Both guys are playing on a top pair, with a guy who can carry a pairing and putting up similar results, other than Hutton has been on for 3 against at 5 on 5, vs 7 for Myers.

One took $30m to sign, the other $1.5m."

Cuz when you say something like this, you make it seem like the difference between Doughty and Edler is negligible.
I guess I'm higher on Edler too. He's a bonafide top pairing defensman, lets not pretend the gap between Edler and Doughty is like Edler and Jordie Benn.

Again, did you look at his numbers without Doughty? They all get better.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
I guess I'm higher on Edler too. He's a bonafide top pairing defensman, lets not pretend the gap between Edler and Doughty is like Edler and Jordie Benn.

Again, did you look at his numbers without Doughty? They all get better.
no one is saying Edler is like Jordie Benn lol. But it's like comparing Boeser to Patrick Kane. Both top line wingers but there's a clear difference of tiers between the two.

For the bolded, okay, so what conclusion are you trying to make based on that?

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Nah, you specifically commented on a post calling me out for "lowkey" hiding who he was playing with. I posted the links to the stats website I use where you can sort the minutes however you want.

So you didn't even make a comment about the board or the player.

Him being "done" here was a choice not a necessity.

Myers is looking good so far, not sure why buddy brought up Hutton in this Myers thread yesterday, but I commented on it and here we are.

I think Hutton is a good 4/5 dman.....also, GM's were interested in Hutton, his agent turned down deals early in the summer hoping for more, then the RFA issues and teams spending their own money on their own players closed the market. I've already admitted that I'm higher on him than most.

Well regardless of whether by choice or necessity his time here was over. Some players simply require a change of scenery and he may have fit this mold (look at James Neal who many on this board were saying was totally done).

I always thought Hutton had potential but certainly wasn't sad to see him go and be replaced this summer. At best I think interest in him this summer was very luke warm. Either way i think everyone can agree our D looks night and day different this year than it did last. Like we actually have a competent D - something we haven't had in a while.

I really like what Myers has brought to our team. He's not nearly as soft as I would have imagined and he hasn't had near as many gaffes as the pessimists on this board promised he would have. Will see how he ages but so far the early returns for me are promising.

Reactions: 420Canuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
no one is saying Edler is like Jordie Benn lol. But it's like comparing Boeser to Patrick Kane. Both top line wingers but there's a clear difference of tiers between the two.

For the bolded, okay, so what conclusion are you trying to make based on that?
No conclusion. I just pointed out some damn numbers and triggered the hell out of a bunch of people.

I haven't concluded anything in here, yet here we are, people getting pissy.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
No conclusion. I just pointed out some damn numbers and triggered the hell out of a bunch of people.

I haven't concluded anything in here, yet here we are, people getting pissy.
Bro, if anyone's being pissy, it's you lol

And why bring up that stat if you're not trying to make a point with it? Have you seen Edler's numbers without Myers? They drop too lol who cares?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Well regardless of whether by choice or necessity his time here was over. Some players simply require a change of scenery and he may have fit this mold (look at James Neal who many on this board were saying was totally done).

I always thought Hutton had potential but certainly wasn't sad to see him go and be replaced this summer. At best I think interest in him this summer was very luke warm. Either way i think everyone can agree our D looks night and day different this year than it did last. Like we actually have a competent D - something we haven't had in a while.

I really like what Myers has brought to our team. He's not nearly as soft as I would have imagined and he hasn't had near as many gaffes as the pessimists on this board promised he would have. Will see how he ages but so far the early returns for me are promising.
It didn't have to be over is my point. The team chose to go in a different direction and that's fine.

I had hoped to get James Neal for Eriksson, so I wasn't in that group. I thought he'd bounce back, he's still a bad contract. Looks like the change of scenery is doing well for Hutton so far.

I was disappointed to see Hutton go. I'm pleased with Myers so far as well. Early returns are quite good, although I think I'd give him softer minutes than matchup pair with Edler. I'm not saying he's a world beater, but I think a lot of the bad feelings about him around here are almost solely based on stupid coaching decisions, ie, why the hell did he play him with Gudbranson so much when it showed to be a dreadful tandem almost immediately. From 2016-2019 Hutton is a 51% CF and 56% GF at 5 on 5 away from Gudbranson.

Perfectly content to stop discussing Hutton in here though, if you want to continue it, we can go to the former player thread.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Bro, if anyone's being pissy, it's you lol

And why bring up that stat if you're not trying to make a point with it? Have you seen Edler's numbers without Myers? They drop too lol who cares?
I mention the LA kings and their top pair, I didn't write Doughty so you had a tantrum. Peace.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
I mention the LA kings and their top pair, I didn't write Doughty so you had a tantrum. Peace.
bro, 9/10 posts you make come off as being aggressive lol

re-read your posts. look at how triggered you got cuz i said you were low key hiding/downplaying that Hutton plays with Doughty.

But k whatever man, you do you lol

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
bro, 9/10 posts you make come off as being aggressive lol

re-read your posts. look at how triggered you got cuz i said you were low key hiding/downplaying that Hutton plays with Doughty.

But k whatever man, you do you lol

He wasn't low key/hiding anything - what other D on LA is on the top pair if not Doughty?

Stop getting triggered that people don't see much if any difference in how much Myers moves the needle compared to Hutton, regardless of age or cap hit.

Of course, when you consider age and cap hit, it's another backwards move for the Canucks, but we need a different poll for that. Heaven forbid a discussion break out about a player's worth.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He wasn't low key/hiding anything - what other D on LA is on the top pair if not Dought?

Stop getting triggered that people don't see much if any difference in how much Myers moves the needle compared to Hutton, regardless of age or cap hit.

Of course, when you consider age and cap hit, it's another backwards move for the Canucks, but we need a different poll for that. Heaven forbid a discussion break out about a player's worth.
A question for you: Am I coming off as aggressive?

The discussion started with elwin316 bringing up a Myers vs Hutton thread. Called it "embarassing" that 22% of posters would take Hutton. That was the bait.

My response: Hutton is putting up pretty good metrics so far this season now that he's unshackled from Gudbranson. We already know Edler can carry a pairing.

I guess it's aggressive to insinuate Edler is carrying that pairing. Then I posted the metrics.

Then I called out the poll, as it's pretty shallow and useless to make analysis on players like this in a capped league. Context is important. I also questioned the point of bringing it up.

Then I was accused of purposely omitting Drew Doughty......every person I know, knows Doughty is the top defensman on the Kings, so I expected a hockey discussion board to understand that without typing "Doughty".

Then Billy kmcmcvu called Hutton a plug, I responded with this: Hutton is playing extremely well in 1st pairing minutes right now, the team is LA and they're not great but I wouldn't call him a plug I think he's pretty good.

and this: Actually LA would be even more ****ed if Hutton wasn't giving them the quality minutes he is.

Hutton actually played quite well as a Canuck outside of his minutes with Gudbranson. I'll admit I like the player more than most.

The jagger jumped on the leaving Doughty out, so I responded to him too. Was having a discussion with 4 people about the subject.

Maybe there was some passive aggression in a couple of them, but definitely not 9 out of 10.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
He wasn't low key/hiding anything - what other D on LA is on the top pair if not Doughty?

I already explained what I meant in another post. I just felt it was a little odd how 420Canuck glossed over the fact that one plays with Doughty and the other with Edler like it was negligible. I assumed he did it on purpose to pump up Hutton in comparison to Myers :dunno:

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
A question for you: Am I coming off as aggressive?

The discussion started with elwin316 bringing up a Myers vs Hutton thread. Called it "embarassing" that 22% of posters would take Hutton. That was the bait.

My response: Hutton is putting up pretty good metrics so far this season now that he's unshackled from Gudbranson. We already know Edler can carry a pairing.

I guess it's aggressive to insinuate Edler is carrying that pairing. Then I posted the metrics.

Then I called out the poll, as it's pretty shallow and useless to make analysis on players like this in a capped league. Context is important. I also questioned the point of bringing it up.

Then I was accused of purposely omitting Drew Doughty......every person I know, knows Doughty is the top defensman on the Kings, so I expected a hockey discussion board to understand that without typing "Doughty".

Then Billy kmcmcvu called Hutton a plug, I responded with this: Hutton is playing extremely well in 1st pairing minutes right now, the team is LA and they're not great but I wouldn't call him a plug I think he's pretty good.

and this: Actually LA would be even more ****ed if Hutton wasn't giving them the quality minutes he is.

The jagger jumped on the leaving Doughty out, so I responded to him too. Was having a discussion with 4 people about the subject.

Maybe there was some passive aggression in a couple of them, but definitely not 9 out of 10.

Exactly. This is their m.o. - divert attention away from the fact that once again, it is a backwards move for the Canucks, at best putting them into mediocrity purgatory where they are a bubble team with no more top 5 picks.

"We CAN'T discuss Myers age and cap hit! The poll says so!"

And diverting attention away from the ridicule of the 22% or whatever the percentage is who think there is nothing to choose between what Myers brings and what Hutton brings - a position that is supported by the data we are seeing so far of the two.

Ultimately, they always come back to one tactic - accuse others of doing what they are in fact doing. Coming here with an agenda (die on the hill of defending Benning) and accusing others of having an agenda. Accusing others of being triggered, when they come apart at the seams when someone points out not only is Hutton as useful as Myers, he is cheaper and younger.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
Hmm, Hutton better?
Ben-Tyler.jpg

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I already explained what I meant in another post. I just felt it was a little odd how 420Canuck glossed over the fact that one plays with Doughty and the other with Edler like it was negligible. I assumed he did it on purpose to pump up Hutton in comparison to Myers :dunno:

You mean -34/.55 ppg Doughty? And +3/.60 ppg Edler?

The relevant point was whether the top pairing D can carry a partner. It's right in his post. Is there any disagreement that Edler can carry a partner? Do you want to say that Doughty can, or can't?

Why would anyone gloss over something that makes their argument even stronger?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's incredible that we're in year 15 of having a salary cap and people still think that signing a guy for $30 million and having him be a marginal upgrade on a guy making $1.5 million is a big win for the team.

Granted, we shouldn't really be comparing these two players because they play on opposite sides, but that's the argument being presented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad