Prospect Info: Canucks select William Lockwood in 3rd Round, 64th Overall

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Well, he plays with a chip on his shoulder and will hit absolutely everything on the forecheck. Not sure if you'd call that "marchand", if you are looking for extra post whistle activities I do not think Lockwood fits that bill.

To me, he seems like a guy like Dorsett when he's on. Not that I like Dorsett but it reminds me of Dorsett. I can't really describe it, but Lockwood looks like a guy trying to leave a mark. "Playing to make a impression", might be an apt description. I can see why the coaches like him, he hustles every shift, he forcechecks hard. He has skill, and is willing to grind it out. This is why I say he's an "ideal bottom 6 guy", the guy just exudes energy.

Lockwood is a incredibly skilled/talented "grinder". I have absolutely no doubts that he will be a NHL player. But can he be a top 6 player? I have no idea. What grinder plays in the top 6 and succeeds?

It depends on who his linemates are, obviously. There are plenty of players who are not the most skilled per se, and are more grindy, but still make a living in the top six because of their linemates, chemistry with those linemates, and themselves being hardworkers.

As mentioned above, Burrows helped the Sedins to career year numbers - he is a grindy player.

Does Lockwood have a higher ceiling then that though, you think? Being a grinder type player, that is.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Wayne Simmonds, maybe? Burrows did for a long time. Ryan Callahan, or Pascal Dupuis in Pittsburgh. I think, from the Burrows and Dupuis examples, we can kind of extract that chemistry with linemates is so vital for a grinder skill set to survive in a top-six role.

Wayne Simmonds is a interesting one, he doesn't have the same strength that Simmonds has, especially around the net, but his north-south game is very similar.

I think Dupuis and Burrows are also pretty decent examples of his type of play. He really reminds me of burrows rushing defensemen and picking their pockets in the defending blue line.

His skills around the net aren't that great like Burrows though, or Simmonds or Callahan. That's the big thing that sets him apart from these power forwards like Simmonds, he just isn't the type to battle in front of the net. It's strange, considering he loves to forecheck and hit.

I can't really get a read on Lockwood and what type of player he is. I think he'll be one of those types of players every other forward will be compared to. Like Hansen.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
It depends on who his linemates are, obviously. There are plenty of players who are not the most skilled per se, and are more grindy, but still make a living in the top six because of their linemates, chemistry with those linemates, and themselves being hardworkers.

As mentioned above, Burrows helped the Sedins to career year numbers - he is a grindy player.

Does Lockwood have a higher ceiling then that though, you think? Being a grinder type player, that is.

Higher ceiling then Burrows? Sure, his straight line speed is up there with Larkin and Kyle Connor. Alex Kile (teammates Connor, Larkin, Lockwood) even said so. With that kind of speed, and ability to handle the puck with that sort of speed he can be a really damn good player.

If he was good in front of the net, I'd call him a power forward. But he is a perimeter player like Baertschi when controlling the puck. But without the puck he plays like a power forward, hits everything, forechecks hard.

Lockwood, is a really damn unique player. I think you'll see him sooner later then later and I'd think people would agree.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Higher ceiling then Burrows? Sure, his straight line speed is up there with Larkin and Kyle Connor. Alex Kile (teammates Connor, Larkin, Lockwood) even said so. With that kind of speed, and ability to handle the puck with that sort of speed he can be a really damn good player.

If he was good in front of the net, I'd call him a power forward. But he is a perimeter player like Baertschi when controlling the puck. But without the puck he plays like a power forward, hits everything, forechecks hard.

Lockwood, is a really damn unique player. I think you'll see him sooner later then later and I'd think people would agree.

That is actually weird to hear he becomes a perimeter player when he has the puck, but becomes a force physically without it. Just seems like a weird combination. Hopefully he balances that physicality for when he does have the puck, and doesn't have the puck.

He does sound very, very intriguing. He should be fun to follow this year.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I guess, since it's the end of the season, and I've watched him all season long. I'll say what I think about this player. Don't think there's any illusions that I really like the way he plays, I personally think he's a terrific prospect. One might glance at his point totals and write Lockwood off as a mediocre NCAA pick. Having watched him I can't disagree with that statement enough.

Lockwood's playstyle is very easily transferable to the NHL. His elite motor and good hands are easily tools that will transfer into the NHL. Not to mention his hard, accurate shot. If I were to describe Lockwood's playstyle I'd call him a North-South power forward. His ability to forecheck and receive pucks with his speed are also aspects of his game that I think will transfer into the NHL.

Now to talk about the elephant in the room, his production. Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in the fact he only got 20 points in 30 games. There are plenty of prospects who start off having lower productions in their freshman years. Not to mention you have to talk about the context to his low numbers. There's no mistake that this year, University of Michigan hockey team, sucked. Lockwood with his 20 points in 30 games was able to finish 2nd in points despite missing games (the leader in points had 21 in 35). This was a team that went 6 wins, 12 losses, 2 ties, finishing 2nd last in the division. It wasn't a great team, so you can't really expect Lockwood to be a PPG player in such a team, especially, since nobody on his team was close to being a PPG player.

Having said all that, the main difference between players like Lockwood and other players that are top scorers on their respective bad teams. Is that Lockwood playstyle is very NHL friendly, as I already addressed. Some players just have that NHL style that makes it incredibly easy to transfer over and have success. Talking about players like Connor Sheary/Bryan Rust. These are type of players that aren't top scorers in their respective NCAA team. Rather they play the way that makes it easy for the production they have to transfer over. Unlike Sheary and Rust though is I actually think Lockwood's production will go up, much like Gaudette's production went up in his 2nd season, mostly due to Michigan's great recruiting program. Michigan's going to get a lot of re-enforcement next year.

In conclusion, I think Lockwood is a terrific prospect. He's a prospect I'm very high on, someone that could potentially be a 2nd liner in the NHL if he develops well enough. He's got a great shot, fantastic speed, awesome hands, aggressively forechecks, isn't afraid to lay the body for an open ice hit. Somethings he needs to work on is his offensive positioning, sometimes he can seem a bit floaty and not in the right space, also he needs to grow his willingness to use his great shot.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I guess, since it's the end of the season, and I've watched him all season long. I'll say what I think about this player. Don't think there's any illusions that I really like the way he plays, I personally think he's a terrific prospect. One might glance at his point totals and write Lockwood off as a mediocre NCAA pick. Having watched him I can't disagree with that statement enough.

Lockwood's playstyle is very easily transferable to the NHL. His elite motor and good hands are easily tools that will transfer into the NHL. Not to mention his hard, accurate shot. If I were to describe Lockwood's playstyle I'd call him a North-South power forward. His ability to forecheck and receive pucks with his speed are also aspects of his game that I think will transfer into the NHL.

Now to talk about the elephant in the room, his production. Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in the fact he only got 20 points in 30 games. There are plenty of prospects who start off having lower productions in their freshman years. Not to mention you have to talk about the context to his low numbers. There's no mistake that this year, University of Michigan hockey team, sucked. Lockwood with his 20 points in 30 games was able to finish 2nd in points despite missing games (the leader in points had 21 in 35). This was a team that went 6 wins, 12 losses, 2 ties, finishing 2nd last in the division. It wasn't a great team, so you can't really expect Lockwood to be a PPG player in such a team, especially, since nobody on his team was close to being a PPG player.

Having said all that, the main difference between players like Lockwood and other players that are top scorers on their respective bad teams. Is that Lockwood playstyle is very NHL friendly, as I already addressed. Some players just have that NHL style that makes it incredibly easy to transfer over and have success. Talking about players like Connor Sheary/Bryan Rust. These are type of players that aren't top scorers in their respective NCAA team. Rather they play the way that makes it easy for the production they have to transfer over. Unlike Sheary and Rust though is I actually think Lockwood's production will go up, much like Gaudette's production went up in his 2nd season, mostly due to Michigan's great recruiting program. Michigan's going to get a lot of re-enforcement next year.

In conclusion, I think Lockwood is a terrific prospect. He's a prospect I'm very high on, someone that could potentially be a 2nd liner in the NHL if he develops well enough. He's got a great shot, fantastic speed, awesome hands, aggressively forechecks, isn't afraid to lay the body for an open ice hit. Somethings he needs to work on is his offensive positioning, sometimes he can seem a bit floaty and not in the right space, also he needs to grow his willingness to use his great shot.

Thanks for the post, WTG. Lots of us don't get to see him so this is great to read.

From what I have seen of him which is mostly highlights, he seems really dynamic like you said. Fast, hard working, tenacious, and a good shot.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the post, WTG. Lots of us don't get to see him so this is great to read.

From what I have seen of him which is mostly highlights, he seems really dynamic like you said. Fast, hard working, tenacious, and a good shot.

He kind of reminds me of a young Matt Cooke (before the dangerous hits). Sub 6 foot guy. High energy, hit everything in sight.

Ideal 3rd line PK winger. Maybe turn out like Burrows/Hansen and move up, but I feel that you can write him down on the 3rd line RW spot after his Junior year at Michigan.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
WTG, what are your production expectations for Lockwood next year?

It all depends on how good his team is, with sophmore seasons it's hard to predict. Sometimes their PPG go up, like Gaudette, sometimes their PPG goes down like Boeser. I think it all depends heavily on how good the team is, and if the player gets a bigger role on the team and is he able to adapt to that bigger role.

Lockwood, started this year already playing big minutes for Michigan, he was treated like a top player, and unlike Boeser, his team is only looking to get better. In their last weekend of their regular season they went and swept a 2 game series against Penn State one of the top teams in the country (they lost the playoff game the next week). The team as a whole has developed and gotten better. Which is a really good sign for next season, as they are getting some really damn good recruits.

Cutting to the question, I think Lockwood's PPG will improve. I expect him to be around a point per game or better. I also expect him to be above 3 shots per game (finished this year with 2.17 shots per game). I feel that would be a good improvement.

So let's say he plays 35 games, I expect around 15 goals, 20 assists ~110 shots 1 PPG

This year he had 30 games, 8 goals, 12 assists, 65 shots 0.67 PPG

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It all depends on how good his team is, with sophmore seasons it's hard to predict. Sometimes their PPG go up, like Gaudette, sometimes their PPG goes down like Boeser. I think it all depends heavily on how good the team is, and if the player gets a bigger role on the team and is he able to adapt to that bigger role.

Lockwood, started this year already playing big minutes for Michigan, he was treated like a top player, and unlike Boeser, his team is only looking to get better. In their last weekend of their regular season they went and swept a 2 game series against Penn State one of the top teams in the country (they lost the playoff game the next week). The team as a whole has developed and gotten better. Which is a really good sign for next season, as they are getting some really damn good recruits.

Cutting to the question, I think Lockwood's PPG will improve. I expect him to be around a point per game or better. I also expect him to be above 3 shots per game (finished this year with 2.17 shots per game). I feel that would be a good improvement.

So let's say he plays 35 games, I expect around 15 goals, 20 assists ~110 shots 1 PPG

This year he had 30 games, 8 goals, 12 assists, 65 shots 0.67 PPG

Yeah. Ultimately, that's probably the single biggest factor in what sort of numbers we'll see out of Lockwood next year. What the team around him looks like...and just how much of a go-to offensive player he's expected to be.

Really, he doesn't seem all that well suited to be a top, go-to offensive player on a team. But that's kind of where he ended up. He projects to higher levels as more of a "complementary piece" who hustles and does a lot of the little things that help a line be better. It's kind of like expecting a Jannik Hansen to "carry" a line. He's really valuable to any line he's on and helps make it better...but if he's the best player on the line, it might do alright overall...but he's not really cut out to rack up gaudy point totals doing so.

He's a pretty simple, straightforward player. There's not a lot of excess flourish to his game. Which is where he'll hopefully translate well...as there shouldn't be a lot of indulgence to trim from his game as he moves up to the Pros.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He kind of reminds me of a young Matt Cooke (before the dangerous hits). Sub 6 foot guy. High energy, hit everything in sight.

Ideal 3rd line PK winger. Maybe turn out like Burrows/Hansen and move up, but I feel that you can write him down on the 3rd line RW spot after his Junior year at Michigan.

Not sure I see the comparisons to guys like Cooke, or the rookie versions of Burrows/Hansen....from my limited viewing the guy seems to have some high-end skills....everything he does is at top speed, including stickhandling and shooting.

Not sure why his stats are not higher, but then from all reports Michigan was a pretty mediocre hockey team playing in a tough conference. Looking for Gaudette-like improvement from him in his sophomore year.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
WTG, how do you think he compares to Ryan Hartman of Chicago?

I don't think it's a bad comparison, I haven't watched much of Hartman though so it's not something I can definitively say. But from what I have seen it seems to kind of fit the rough mold.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I think Lockwood and Gaudette are going to be bottom six skilled pests. This team needs them, they will be hard on the forecheck and create chances. Play a grinding gritty game.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think it's a bad comparison, I haven't watched much of Hartman though so it's not something I can definitively say. But from what I have seen it seems to kind of fit the rough mold.

I think as a draft eligible prospect they are quite different. Hartman was more Tuomo Ruutu balls to the wall hit everything that moves, while Lockwood was more Jannik Hansen, who was more of a speedy buzzsaw.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I wonder if Brackett covers the NCAA himself. We seem to be on a roll there. It's not really isolated to this era though, we've had good U.S. scouts for a while.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I wonder if Brackett covers the NCAA himself. We seem to be on a roll there. It's not really isolated to this era though, we've had good U.S. scouts for a while.

He seems to be based in the US and have strong scouting roots through the USHL as Boeser, Gaudette, and Lockwood when we drafted them came out of USHL seasons, and look how damn good they become shortly after, its actually quite insane how good he is drafting players out of the USHL.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think Lockwood and Gaudette are going to be bottom six skilled pests. This team needs them, they will be hard on the forecheck and create chances. Play a grinding gritty game.

I'd like to see how they even play in the AHL first before making such a statement. Cassels was one penciled in as a future 3LC here as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

That might end being Lockwood's role, but Gaudette is a different matter....Button has him rated as one of the top offensive centres in his draft class....pretty hard to put up his kind of numbers in the NCAA as a sophomore without a considerable amount of skill.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd like to see how they even play in the AHL first before making such a statement. Cassels was one penciled in as a future 3LC here as well.

That's certainly fair. Don't count your chickens before they hatch and all. Prospects are a process, etc.

But when it comes to Cassels, i think there were quite a few folks urging at least some degree of caution against penciling him in to the NHL to soon, and too high up the ladder. Largely on account of his problematic skating, and his numbers in part being a product of a pretty monstrous powerplay.

Lockwood's skating is the furthest thing from a concern. So he's got that going for him, which can be pretty big for a player projected to that sort of role in the NHL.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Honestly not sure that applies anymore for us. Look at some of our NCAA players recently... Stecher, Hutton, and Boeser all skipped the AHL so you might not get a chance to see Lockwood or Gaudette in the AHL. Even Molino (UDFA) is headed straight from NCAA -> Vancouver (tho it might be only for the year then back to Utica next year).

Fact is we have 1 graduate from Utica in the last few seasons combined (Gaunce) so playing in the AHL is not a sure thing anymore.

Also note we're seeing more and more players go straight from NCAA to NHL and contributing. High profile NCAA players often at least produce very well in the AHL right away (i.e. Reese had 6 points in 4 AHL games for the Pens so far). NCAA is far higher level competition than the CHL so having NCAA success should at least translate to AHL success and likely NHL opportunity.

Cassels is really a case of a prospect who was trending upwards but did not improve at all since turning pro. That might apply for any prospect but at this point, Lockwood probably is a better player than what Cassels was. Also i'm not sold on Green being good at developing players either (despite some Comet fans thinking he can do no wrong, his track record hasn't been great at development). That's why i wasn't sure if i prefer Gaudette turning pro/going to Utica or staying in the NCAA because our track record is actually BETTER with NCAA/KHL (recently) than AHL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Thanks for the post WTG. I liked the pick a lot at the time of the draft as I thought his offensive production didn't reflect his offensive potential and so I was not surprised but was happy to see him put up the numbers he did to start the year (even though his offensive production tailed off).

I think Lockwood is going to be like Hansen. The offensive production will never reflect the level of offensive skill he actually has but he's going to be be a good player.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
gaudette lockwood as our center + rw our main 3rd line in 2019-20 gunning for the playoffs.

we honestly need a top end elite 1st line center, horvat is more of a "good" 1st line but elite 2nd line center type of player.

damn, we really need #1 overall to draft that franchise 1st line elite center in 2018 draft, supposedly the deepest draft in the last 10 years. i'd say worth tanking hard for that.

2019-20 season.

dahlen #1 overall 2018 center boeser
goldobin horvat virtenan?
??? gaudette lockwood
??? ???? ????

juolevi tryamkin
hutton stecher

demko
??? gudbranson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad