Prospect Info: Canucks select William Lockwood in 3rd Round, 64th Overall

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I can see why Benning likes him - he's got good wheels, very good puck skills and a quick, accurate shot. Other than his moderate size, he seems to be more of an eye test than a numbers pick.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If the eye test through highlight packages determined draft position. Than this guy should be a top 10 pick, I saw vision, great stick handleing, great acceleration, and top end speed, he also drove the net, and worked hard in fore checking.

Really impresive.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If the eye test through highlight packages determined draft position. Than this guy should be a top 10 pick, I saw vision, great stick handleing, great acceleration, and top end speed, he also drove the net, and worked hard in fore checking.

Really impresive.

You must be one of Buffalo's video scouts :sarcasm:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Watched that footage of him again, wow is he strong with his edges. Skates similarly to Virtanen in that way, so much strength in his core and legs.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like the type that will do a really good job retrieving pucks and drawing penalties.

Look forward to seeing how he does at Michigan.

Yeah. When a guy can stand out at an U18 tournament as much for what he does without the puck and chasing it down, as for what he does with it...that's certainly intriguing for me. Hopefully there's more upside with the puck as he gets more opportunity to develop that side of his game in a different role (and there are obvious flashes). But it's such a translatable skillset if (like many "pure skill" prospects even) the skill isn't quite there to carve out a top-6 niche.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Yeah. When a guy can stand out at an U18 tournament as much for what he does without the puck and chasing it down, as for what he does with it...that's certainly intriguing for me. Hopefully there's more upside with the puck as he gets more opportunity to develop that side of his game in a different role (and there are obvious flashes). But it's such a translatable skillset if (like many "pure skill" prospects even) the skill isn't quite there to carve out a top-6 niche.

I definitely think speed/tenacity combo can go a long way the way the game is going. There have been a lot of players with limited offensive skill sets that have gone on to have good NHL careers.

I guess we will get a glimpse at how much offensive upside he has next season in Michigan. Hopefully he gets put in a position to succeed with some good forwards and can take off offensively like Gaudette did.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
From what I've seen from him in the U-18's (only 1 game) and from Feebster's highlights. He looks to have hands and skills like Gaudreau. If what some say about him is true, that his numbers were only deflated due to how the UNDP operates, then it this could very well be the gem of potential we need.

Even if he only has 1% chance of reaching Gaudreau level I am extremely happy with the pick.

Trust me, if he puts any sort of numbers up first weekend in the NCAA you can expect me to get a subscription and have clips on him immediately.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
From what I've seen from him in the U-18's (only 1 game) and from Feebster's highlights. He looks to have hands and skills like Gaudreau. If what some say about him is true, that his numbers were only deflated due to how the UNDP operates, then it this could very well be the gem of potential we need.

Even if he only has 1% chance of reaching Gaudreau level I am extremely happy with the pick.

Trust me, if he puts any sort of numbers up first weekend in the NCAA you can expect me to get a subscription and have clips on him immediately.

:laugh:

I think that may be getting a wee bit carried away with things. :D

But i love the enthusiasm and look forward to the clips. ;)

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015

I think that may be getting a wee bit carried away with things. :D

But i love the enthusiasm and look forward to the clips. ;)

Well I should have probably said that he has potential to develop like a top 3 forward with his skill set.

Albeit it being a tinny weenie chance (sub 5 percent)

Probably shouldn't say all this too, it'll probably bite me in the butt later if I end up being colossally wrong.

I am more intrigued about Lockwood then any recent prospect.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He should have an opportunity at a top 6 role in Michigan next year. Connor, Motte, Compher, Selman, Nieves, are all moving to pro. Those are 5/6 forwards in top scoring. I assume Kile, Lockwood, Warren, Marody, Pastujov, will be favourites for top 6 spots. One thing Lockwood will have to improve on to achieve anything in pro is get stronger. If he gets stronger, and thicker then he'll be an even better-looking prospect. But with that speed, mentality, and skill, he can be a good player.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
From what I've seen from him in the U-18's (only 1 game) and from Feebster's highlights. He looks to have hands and skills like Gaudreau.

No way! Lockwood has soft hands but that doesn't mean he has the skills like Gaudreau. Gaudreau's skills are elite.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
No way! Lockwood has soft hands but that doesn't mean he has the skills like Gaudreau. Gaudreau's skills are elite.

It's not what I intended to say.

More like he could develop the skills of a gaudreau.

Then I went on that I thought he had a realistic chance of sub 5 percent to develop those skills.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's not what I intended to say.

More like he could develop the skills of a gaudreau.

Then I went on that I thought he had a realistic chance of sub 5 percent to develop those skills.

I don't think a prospect without the skills of a Gaudreau at 17/18 can develop the skills of a Gaudreau. Just not possible. But that's ok. There were some Hansen comparisons. I would take a Hansen or Hagelin.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I don't think a prospect without the skills of a Gaudreau at 17/18 can develop the skills of a Gaudreau. Just not possible. But that's ok. There were some Hansen comparisons. I would take a Hansen or Hagelin.

We'll see.

I'll probably get to see him a lot next year so I'll be able to get a better read.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Well I should have probably said that he has potential to develop like a top 3 forward with his skill set.

Albeit it being a tinny weenie chance (sub 5 percent)

Probably shouldn't say all this too, it'll probably bite me in the butt later if I end up being colossally wrong.

It's just meaningless statement. His chances of being an NHLer are likely sub 10 percent. The chances of him developing the way you say are more like 1 in 10,000, or even worse.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
It's just meaningless statement. His chances of being an NHLer are likely sub 10 percent. The chances of him developing the way you say are more like 1 in 10,000, or even worse.

Maybe based on draft position, but based on skills/the way he plays the game? It's higher than that...

Still one of my favorites on the US NTDP team. I'll see him quite a bit next year.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015

Well you know, I realized it's a bit of an absurd statement that is kind of why I am back peddling for my last couple posts about him.

I shouldn't have said anything other then I'll watch this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad