Prospect Info: Canucks select William Lockwood in 3rd Round, 64th Overall

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well well well, how the times have changed.

Top 6: Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Pettersson.

Trending top 6: Virtanen, Pearson.

Possible top 6: Hoglander, Podkolzin

Bottom 6: Gaudette, Beagle, Motte.

Possible bottom 6: Madden, Lind, Lockwood, MacEwen, Gadjovich.
Yep, that's the way it might have shaken down, except for one thing. And that thing' is some of the ugly contracts with term that Jimbo offered up via trade and free agency.

Beagle, Ferland, Sutter and Eriksson are some of the ugliest bottom-six forward contracts in the league. And going forward, they're a huge roadblock to the lineup you've described.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
Yep, that's the way it might have shaken down, except for one thing. And that thing' is some of the ugly contracts with term that Jimbo offered up via trade and free agency.

Beagle, Ferland, Sutter and Eriksson are some of the ugliest bottom-six forward contracts in the league. And going forward, they're a huge roadblock to the lineup you've described.
Sutter 1 year remaining, doesn't have any effect on the roster. Beagle 3m for 2 more years, and brings a lot to the table. Contracts fine IMO. Eriksson - 100% agreed. Ferland - could easily be retired by next year at the rate he is going.

Reactions: gianni

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I didnt actually think Vancouver would sign him, and with Madden gone they'll go harder at him according to Dhaliwal.

If anybody hasn't seen his game this year, it is night and day different from what the player he was drafted as and what he has played as these last few seasons. He's slowed it down as he played such a reckless style of hockey, that his coach described him as a "heat seeking missile"

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I didnt actually think Vancouver would sign him, and with Madden gone they'll go harder at him according to Dhaliwal.

If anybody hasn't seen his game this year, it is night and day different from what the player he was drafted as and what he has played as these last few seasons. He's slowed it down as he played such a reckless style of hockey, that his coach described him as a "heat seeking missile"
Signing him is a priority. Biggest test in the Canucks history of their NCAA guys. Haven’t lost a guy they wanted to keep. McNally they dealt away but he didn’t turn out to be anything.
Fits perfectly in that bottom 6 with speed and checking. Numbers are down this season but the entire Michigan roster is low scoring. Though like 23 games he was the second leading scorer on the team.

can burn an elc year this season and only have 1 elc year on his deal for next year. Have to sell him that with Schaller and Leivo gone and ufa there’s a spot in the bottom 6 open.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Michigan is a pretty low scoring team. Lockwood seemed pretty committed to the Canucks when interviewed last summer.

No reason to not sign him and give him a look in Utica. Could be a nice btm 6 player with the way he sklates and how good his hands are

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
We should really be signing an ELC that begins next year and offer him an ATO for the rest of the AHL season. Fine with burning an ELC year as if he falls flat next year we can just non-tender him.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
We should really be signing an ELC that begins next year and offer him an ATO for the rest of the AHL season. Fine with burning an ELC year as if he falls flat next year we can just non-tender him.
Do you think this would be a favorable way to treat him considering he could sign anywhere if he wants and would probably have a better window of opportunity in Detroit or wherever he defines

I get the feeling his agent would laugh in your face.

If he's worth retaining and signing you give him a 2 way and he gets a few years in Utica at least to earn a call up. He's a better prospect than Jasek....i dont get why you would attempt this?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Lockwood isn't signed, all the Canucks will have to show for the 2016 draft is Juolevi....who's probably closer to playing in Europe than the Canucks. A complete whiff on a draft is almost impossible to do, considering the Canucks were the third worst team in the NHL that season. But there you have it.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Lockwoods been on record many times over many years that he will sign with Canucks because they believed in him and wanted him.

I think its a guarantee almost he’ll get signed after his NCAA season.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Do you think this would be a favorable way to treat him considering he could sign anywhere if he wants and would probably have a better window of opportunity in Detroit or wherever he defines

I get the feeling his agent would laugh in your face.

If he's worth retaining and signing you give him a 2 way and he gets a few years in Utica at least to earn a call up. He's a better prospect than Jasek....i dont get why you would attempt this?

From a PR perspective it would be pretty disastrous if they are unable to sign him and are left with absolutely nothing from the 2016 draft aside from Juolevi (who is trending towards being a nobody in a hurry).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Think he signs an ATO with Utica
He’s also not going to be a high end scorer. But given his option to become a ufa in August if burning the elc year is what is needed to get him to sign you do it. It’s still no guarantee that when guys get that cup of coffee at the end of the season that they will be on the roster the next seasons. Saw that with Gaudette and Troy terry in Anaheim who were big scorers in the NCAA.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Sutter 1 year remaining, doesn't have any effect on the roster. Beagle 3m for 2 more years, and brings a lot to the table. Contracts fine IMO. Eriksson - 100% agreed. Ferland - could easily be retired by next year at the rate he is going.

What does Beagle bring to the table except for winning the odd face off for 3 million?

Is that you Jim?

Reactions: timw33

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
What does Beagle bring to the table except for winning the odd face off for 3 million?

Is that you Jim?
Uhm, you do know Beagle has won a stanley cup, correct? He brings a lot of experience, leadership and a calming factor to that dressing room - I promise you that. The guy knows what it takes to win. Having players like that show your kids the ropes is needed.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017

I'll give you Ferland and Eriksson - the other 2 not so much IMO. Sutter 1 year remaining - not that big of a deal. Beagle ( I KNOW, most of you f***ing hate him) me on the other hand - I see him as valuable.

Ferland could be on LTIR/Retire after this year so it MAY not be that big of a deal afterall.

Eriksson..... no comment lmao.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad