Prospect Info: Canucks select William Lockwood in 3rd Round, 64th Overall

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
If I had to build a team for 2019 with what I think will happen with our prospects it'd be like this

E.Kane-C.Mittlestadt-B.Boeser
S.Baertschi-B.Horvat-N.Goldobin
J.Dahlen-A.Gaudette-J.Virtanen
B.Gaunce-M.Granlund-W.Lockwood

B.Hutton-C.Tanev
O.Juolevi-2018 1st
N.Tryamkin-T.Stecher

T.Demko
J.Markstrom

3 Scoring lines
4th line that can still put the puck in the net

3 well balanced D-Pairs

Elite Starter
Above average Backup

Notable moves

Edler traded
Sutter traded
Gudbranson traded
Eriksson traded
Sbisa claimed by Vegas
Dorsett retired due to neck issues
Sedins sign 1 year extension after their current deal but retire the year after
E.Kane signs as a Free Agent

Canucks officially go away from the Boston model and on to the Pittsburgh model
That's a speedy lineup with depth and good scoring on all lines IF they all pan out

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
nice! benning is our best drafter the canucks ever had. only knock is the virtenan ... lol .

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
nice! benning is our best drafter the canucks ever had. only knock is the virtenan ... lol .

The Virtanen critics will be eating crow in a couple of years. Sure, it's fine to be critical of picking V over Nylander, Ehlers, and maybe even Ritchie in that draft. But I would not be surprised if V turns in to a solid middle 6 winger scoring 20+ goals/yr and providing some vinegar. That is a draft win.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The Virtanen critics will be eating crow in a couple of years. Sure, it's fine to be critical of picking V over Nylander, Ehlers, and maybe even Ritchie in that draft. But I would not be surprised if V turns in to a solid middle 6 winger scoring 20+ goals/yr and providing some vinegar. That is a draft win.

Pfffffft. Yeah, that's totally a thing that will happen. Guys bombing out in the AHL totally become 20 goal guys in the NHL all the time.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Even if that happens (whenever it does in the future), is that still better than a 1st line player from age 20 onward?

I'm gonna go with no there.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Couple years might be too late. He'll be on his second contract and well on his way to UFA status by the time he maybe, maybe breaks out. Instead, we could have had 3 extremely productive ELC years from quality players, plus their RFA year 4/5/6/7

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

He has 1 year left before he needs to clear waivers so he needs a huge year next year or the pick will basically be considered a bust. The pick and the way he was rushed really didn't help him much.

Could he still savage his career? Probably but there's a decent chance its not with us (after all, i don't think he's happy with his treatment anyways). If you look at most power forward that had issues at the start of the career, the ones that succeed, generally do it with another team. Even in the case of Bertuzzi, the Islanders gave up on him and we benefited.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Reply all...

Virtanen has not met expectations for sure. But I still think he develops into a solid, middle 6, power forward. I'm liking that he knows he has to prove himself - it seemed his first year, being so young, he thought it was his right to be in the NHL, as judged by him taking shifts off and not in the best shape. At least based on his interview last week and reports from Utica, he no longer has that sense of entitlement. His fitness change shows that he's putting the new attitude to action. Still has a ways to go but he's on the right track.

Oh yeah, Lockwood thread.. He's good at NCAA level but he'll have to work his tail off to translate that to pro. Guys his size need to have elite skill - but he's still very young.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Reply all...

Virtanen has not met expectations for sure. But I still think he develops into a solid, middle 6, power forward. I'm liking that he knows he has to prove himself - it seemed his first year, being so young, he thought it was his right to be in the NHL, as judged by him taking shifts off and not in the best shape. At least based on his interview last week and reports from Utica, he no longer has that sense of entitlement. His fitness change shows that he's putting the new attitude to action. Still has a ways to go but he's on the right track.

Oh yeah, Lockwood thread.. He's good at NCAA level but he'll have to work his tail off to translate that to pro. Guys his size need to have elite skill - but he's still very young.

5'11 guys don't need "elite" skill. Especially ones that play a fast and physical game.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Liking this Lockwood pick already. Won MVP as a rookie. Another year or two at Michigan.. we could slot him in as our RW3 already when he's ready...

Good job, Judd Brackett & Jim!

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Reply all...

Agreed. Playing woulda, coulda, shoulda is silly. Most draft picks never make it yet people pretend we just purposely passed on better players.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
In 2 to 3 years from now...

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Dahlen - Gaudette - Lockwood ?
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Granlund
Eriksson - Sutter - Virtanen

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

If all of Dahlen-Gaudette-Lockwood develop into 2nd liners that would be pretty incredible. Love to see it but it's asking a lot. Also, the Sedins won't be here in 2 to 3 years.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Sedins aren't likely to play that long are they? Also that might be the most expensive 4th line in the NHL... :laugh:

I don't see us playing such a young 2nd line and have a much older, much more expensive 4th line. Plus Eriksson, despite his bad contract, is probably still going to be a better player than Dahlen/Gaudette/Lockwood in their 1st NHL season (repeat this statement for Sutter).

Plus if you're projecting 3 years, then our 2017 1st round pick (who hopefully will be a forward) should be NHL ready by then (if not sooner). Also its quite unlikely there aren't external moves if you project 3 years (since every team will make trades). Plus Goldobin isn't included on your list and if he's still here, he'll likely be ahead of a few players you listed (former 1st round pick, PPG this year in the AHL... he's being mis-used by WD but he probably projects to be a top 6 winger).

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Sedins aren't likely to play that long are they? Also that might be the most expensive 4th line in the NHL... :laugh:

I don't see us playing such a young 2nd line and have a much older, much more expensive 4th line. Plus Eriksson, despite his bad contract, is probably still going to be a better player than Dahlen/Gaudette/Lockwood in their 1st NHL season (repeat this statement for Sutter).

Plus if you're projecting 3 years, then our 2017 1st round pick (who hopefully will be a forward) should be NHL ready by then (if not sooner). Also its quite unlikely there aren't external moves if you project 3 years (since every team will make trades). Plus Goldobin isn't included on your list and if he's still here, he'll likely be ahead of a few players you listed (former 1st round pick, PPG this year in the AHL... he's being mis-used by WD but he probably projects to be a top 6 winger).

Sedins on the 3rd line + the most expensive 4th line are 2 key points that the "Play the Youngsters" movement are pushing for... Just sub Boucher and Gaunce into the spot where Dahlen & Goldobin are supposed to go for this year.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

If that's our lineup 2 or 3 years from now we really got hosed in the 2017, 2018, and 2019 draft lotteries.

Future lineups are silly because the majority of prospects crash and burn. Guadette and Lockwood will be lucky to make it as 3rd line forwards. Basing your hopes off them being top 6 forwards along with Dahlen is a foolish game.

This organization really needs a Top 2 pick so people stop overating/gravitating to every half decent canuck prospect.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
If that's our lineup 2 or 3 years from now we really got hosed in the 2017, 2018, and 2019 draft lotteries.

Future lineups are silly because the majority of prospects crash and burn. Guadette and Lockwood will be lucky to make it as 3rd line forwards. Basing your hopes off them being top 6 forwards along with Dahlen is a foolish game.

This organization really needs a Top 2 pick so people stop overating/gravitating to every half decent canuck prospect.

For sure.. I'm projecting lineups based what the Canucks need them to be and having the Sedins in any projected lineup kind of shows the youth's progression is well-deserved. Time will tell.

Lockwood seems to be projecting well though right now... We need to get as many as of these types of players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->